Squeaky noise and reversing noise

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
aron.phelan
New

Squeaky noise and reversing noise

Post by aron.phelan »

Hi all

I got a polo GTI back in October and recently there has a loud humming noise when reversing and a loud squeaky noise when turning or going over bumps like a really noisey spring bed and mattress.

The VW dealership is closed so I cant get it looked at and I called the VW breakdown response team and they could not fix either issue they said the noise from suspension may be the bushes ?

Any advice on what I can do and if I should still drive it ?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Squeaky noise and reversing noise

Post by monkeyhanger »

aron.phelan wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:30 pm Hi all

I got a polo GTI back in October and recently there has a loud humming noise when reversing and a loud squeaky noise when turning or going over bumps like a really noisey spring bed and mattress.

The VW dealership is closed so I cant get it looked at and I called the VW breakdown response team and they could not fix either issue they said the noise from suspension may be the bushes ?

Any advice on what I can do and if I should still drive it ?
Humming like a cow mooing? That's quite a common complaint It is fixed with varying success with a software update to the "wipe dry" brake pad function and sometimes you get a new set of pads out of it too. I had the software update but no new pads, and I'd say the noise has reduced 90% but not gone completely.

I had a front end creak that was either rubber bushes rubbing off each other and squeaking when we, or the top mount bearings. The dealership replaced both sets under warranty, which got rid of the creaking.
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

I never got offered an software update. I was simply told there is no fix or TPI (I think that was the acronym used) so I had the brakes pads cleaned

It helped for a month or two but now is worse than ever [emoji17]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

monty831 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 pm I never got offered an software update. I was simply told there is no fix or TPI (I think that was the acronym used) so I had the brakes pads cleaned

It helped for a month or two but now is worse than ever [emoji17]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
I’ve had my GTI now for 4 days, done around 60 miles since I picked it up, and today after washing the car, low and behold, the cow mooing when reversing.

I’ll give it a good hard brake next time I’m out and see if it still does the same. Based on what I’ve read on here, it won’t make a difference.
Manny550
New
Drives: POLO GTI+, GOLF R MK7, POLO GTI+ OPF.

Post by Manny550 »

Same here on my 18 gti, I find a very loud grinding sort of noise from the rear I think maybe front not too sure every time I put the car in reverse and press/let go of the brake pedal. Think my brothers 19 gti does it too but will double check.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

That’s frustrating that it’s not resolved yet. I’m hoping mine sing built would have been free of this but I’m expecting a cow When it’s finally delivered now :(
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Annoying as it is, I doubt VW see this as a priority if the car’s braking efficiency isn’t affected. That doesn’t make it right though.

As has been mentioned in a separate thread on ‘mooing’ rear brakes, it’s not just a Polo GTI / GTI+ problem. A quick Google search on ‘resonance from brakes when reversing’ highlights other some manufacturers’ cars have - or have had - this issue.
Last edited by SRGTD on Thu May 07, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

For me, as long as it doesn’t cause long term damage I’d be happy to put up with it when I look at one soon. My friends £40k Volvo has been recalled as the brakes may fail and my wife’s polo had a handbrake that was useless when she bought it, so some mooing i can tolerate.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

Ima wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:11 am That’s frustrating that it’s not resolved yet. I’m hoping mine sing built would have been free of this but I’m expecting a cow When it’s finally delivered now :(
It doesn't happen to all cars, mine was delivered back in March and I haven't experienced it as of yet. You may be a lucky one too.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

I'm 6k miles in and the mooing has almost stopped.

For me it only happened if I pressed the brakes in reverse. Ended up adjusting my driving style to avoid riding the brakes when doing reverse manoeuvres

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Fingers crossed then mine won’t do it as a mooing would wind me up :(
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

Ima wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:39 pm Fingers crossed then mine won’t do it as a mooing would wind me up :(
Don’t hold your breath.
HarveyK97
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by HarveyK97 »

I took my car into my local Volkswagen for the second time last week and was advised that a part needed to be added to my breaks that was currently on back order. They said that this issue has been around for a while and was normally fixed via a software update as mentioned above but that it didn’t always fix the issue.
Might be worth booking in with your local dealer if you’re having these issue. I brought video evidence this time and the first time they said they couldn’t diagnose if they couldn’t hear the noise (miraculously it didn’t make the noise when they drove the car but does it almost all the time I do).