LED headlamp retrofit

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Re: LED headlamp retrofit

Post by Dazeredo »

I've factory LED headlights and in the infotainment there is an option to change the headlights for right or left drive.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Yes, that’s the travel mode - details from the owner’s manual below (states that travel mode should only be used for short periods);

If you have to drive a right-hand drive vehicle in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the asymmetric dipped beam headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic. The headlights must therefore be switched over when you travel to these countries.

With some equipment levels, the headlight alignment can be adjusted in the Infotainment system in the Vehicle settings menu (Vehicle settings menu => Operation). In vehicles in which the headlights cannot be switched over in the menu, masking stickers should be applied to certain parts of the headlight lenses, or the headlights should be adjusted by a qualified workshop. A qualified workshop can provide you with further information. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose.

Travel mode may only be used for a short period. Please contact a qualified workshop for permanent conversion. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:27 pm Yes, that’s the travel mode - details from the owner’s manual below (states that travel mode should only be used for short periods);

If you have to drive a right-hand drive vehicle in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the asymmetric dipped beam headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic. The headlights must therefore be switched over when you travel to these countries.

With some equipment levels, the headlight alignment can be adjusted in the Infotainment system in the Vehicle settings menu (Vehicle settings menu => Operation). In vehicles in which the headlights cannot be switched over in the menu, masking stickers should be applied to certain parts of the headlight lenses, or the headlights should be adjusted by a qualified workshop. A qualified workshop can provide you with further information. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose.

Travel mode may only be used for a short period. Please contact a qualified workshop for permanent conversion. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose.
There is reason why LHD and RHD lights have two different part numbers ;)
DenzGTI
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by DenzGTI »

Hey bud, i think you will need a halogen to LED wiring harness and coding then it should work.
hollesk
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI

Post by hollesk »

Quick question, did the old halogen headlights have the red stripe?
ROG3R wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:42 am I was one of the first to buy, and I'm using since November 2019, got the all led version with red stripe. Working good so far.
I got from this link, but for some reason the seller deleted my review :?: :!:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_d9CXEbq

some pics:

Extra information:
-Low beam uses D2H lamp (hard to find), and high beam a H7
-The turn signal (blinker) is "dynamic", different from the OEM headlight
-When you turn on, it has a bizarre animation (the LEDs flash, the top bar turns blue and then turns white again, like a Mercedes-Benz
hollesk
New

Post by hollesk »

Do your halogen headlights have the red strip on them? Or is that only in the LED headlights? Thanks
wolfiecbr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:39 am Does anyone know if any additional hardware is needed for installing the genuine LED headlights on a Polo GTI AW? Also, is any extra coding needed to control the daytime driving lights, if so, does anyone have this available?

To give some context, you can only get the LED headlights in Australia if you get the luxury pack, which includes the sunroof and black velour seats (neither of which I wanted), so I currently have the halogen lights.

Any help is much appreciated!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

hollesk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 am
wolfiecbr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:39 am Does anyone know if any additional hardware is needed for installing the genuine LED headlights on a Polo GTI AW? Also, is any extra coding needed to control the daytime driving lights, if so, does anyone have this available?

To give some context, you can only get the LED headlights in Australia if you get the luxury pack, which includes the sunroof and black velour seats (neither of which I wanted), so I currently have the halogen lights.

Any help is much appreciated!
Do your halogen headlights have the red strip on them? Or is that only in the LED headlights? Thanks
Only the standard LED headlamps for the GTI+ (in the UK) or if they’re specified as an option on the standard GTI (non-Plus) model have the red stripe. Optional LED headlamps for other (non-GTI) Polos don’t have the red strip and nor do the standard halogen headlamp units either.
hollesk
New

Post by hollesk »

Got it thanks for the info!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

To anyone who's installed these lights, how easy is it to remove / replace them?

Long story short, I need to remove my factory led unit on the passenger side.
I can see two screws holding it in place but it still feels solid. Is there something else I have to remove ?

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MattHGR wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm To anyone who's installed these lights, how easy is it to remove / replace them?

Long story short, I need to remove my factory led unit on the passenger side.
I can see two screws holding it in place but it still feels solid. Is there something else I have to remove ?

Post no.6 in the discussion thread at the link below includes pictures of the relevant pages from the owners manual on removing headlamp units;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71955
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Perfect, thanks SRGTD !

Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

Sorry to ask, it may have already been covered... but I currently have the regular Halogen headlights UK right-hand drive. Will these LED units fit? Plug and Play? Are they aligned for right-hand drive cars / UK roads? How do they level, will they work with the adjustment wheel on the dash?

I'm guessing the answer to all these questions is "no" but thought I'd seek clarification. :D
giannis159
Getting There!
Drives: polo aw Rline 1.0 115ps

Post by giannis159 »

Do you mean the leds from AliExpress?

Στάλθηκε από το MI 8 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

I don't know about the retrofit but the OEM from factory don't have the adjustment wheel on the dash and the change from rear or left hand drive is made in the infotainment.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

giannis159 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:36 pm Do you mean the leds from AliExpress?

Στάλθηκε από το MI 8 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
I think he does.
I'm also interested the Ali Express units, so I'd like to know some questions too.

1. Do they come fitted with LED bulbs?
2. No wiring modifications?
3. Does height adjustment still work?