PCP Contracts, Discounts and Salesmen [HELP]

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Re: PCP Contracts, Discounts and Salesmen [HELP]

Post by monty831 »

Congrats on the order. I'm in West Yorkshire too

I previously had a DSG auto back in 2007 on a SEAT Leon FR

The DSG in the Polo is great and a lot smoother than I experienced over 10 years ago. It can take a month or two to get used to it and it does catch me out sometimes at a roundabout (but I put that down to being lazy coming from a diesel)

I did order a car once that I realised a few days later I couldn't afford over the course of the PCP term. Totally my fault and I explained this to the dealer who let me cancel and get my deposit back

I bet you cannot wait. I have the black roof and 18s as these were already on the car due to being in the country already. Mine is blue

The only thing I added was the service pack as it seemed a no brainer

I thought I'd miss built in sat nav but Google maps has worked really well. I asked the dealer for a cable and he gave me one for free. Waze is good but sometimes doesn't pick up a signal (probably my phone at fault)

I guess the only option I may have added was climate control as I had it before. But having said that the standard air con is ok

Looking forward to seeing pics

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You are certainly not alone there worrying about driving a DSG, my older daughter bought her SEAT Leon Cupra back in late August last year, and added me to her insurance as I seem to be her "mechanic" I thought her boyfriend would now hold that title! A few days after she bought it I was offered a chance to drive it, but I felt that I should wait until it had lost its new smell! She seems to have zero free time so getting that chance to drive it has not appeared yet, but hopefully it will soon or I'll get dumped from her insurance to reduce its cost!
I keep meaning to try to fully understand how to use DSG in a way that minimises any extra wear on the clutches, like what to do when stopped at lights, I'm not sure how she uses it yet.

My first experience of driving a proper old school auto was a Rover wedge, it went very well until I started dipping the "clutch" to change gear, as someone said flooring the "clutch" pedal does stop the car very quickly!

Edit:- one other thing when buying your first car that has an electric handbrake is, get to grips quickly about what the minimum conditions are that need to be met for the handbrake to auto release, typically driver's door closed and driver's seat belt on. A friend that has an Audi A6 was visiting a few months ago and I think that he was, for the first time, finding the need/urge to leave his seat belt off while reversing up my driveway - he had a couple of "failed" attempts to get moving! That same guy even although he had driven this car up from near London to Scotland, was still very concerned about how the DSG would behave/react when driving up Sutton Bank a few weeks later - but as you would expect all went well.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:50 am Having driven only manual cars as my own car (until mine arrives) but plenty of pool/hire cars as automatics I’ll tell you one thing - don’t use your left leg to brake! Despite having done well over 250,000 miles in the last ten years and driven automatics numerous times I’ve nearly head butted the steering wheel every single time I’ve tried to left foot brake an automatic. It may just be me, but considering your left foot is used to going all the way down it doesn’t like feathering the the brakes!

Now I’m sure you could, over time, learn to left foot brake as we all learned to use our right when we first learned to drive. On my experience I’m not going to bother or I’ll have a very sore head!
I've been there with the left foot brake. First time I attempted it was on the way home from a night shift on an empty dual carriageway and it definitely woke me up, that is for sure. I have gotten used to it now but I rarely do it. Only use it for windy roads that i'm familiar with.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

So glad to hear you got this sorted, as those added extras were certainly a large amount of money to try justify on an R-Line, I'm sure you won't regret the choice even if you do end up paying slightly more for insurance, overall you'll be saving on your PCP long-term! Keep us updated with any delivery times/estimates!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrTomOates »

Just had another slight problem...

I ordered a PureWhite GTI+ with the black roof pack and Winter Pack with Brescia 18" Alloy Wheels.

The salesman has rung me up just now explaining that there's two systems, Listers and VW. On the Listers system it had the car (that's contracted to me) as Pure White GTI+ however, on the VW system which seems to be the correct system has the car as Reef Blue with Black Roof pack. It seems as though the car in which I thought was White is actually Blue. The car was set to be delivered just after September (in time for the new reg plates :mrgreen:) but now that it's Reef Blue I don't particularly want that colour.

The salesman was very helpful considering the situation and looked for factory build cars that were close to arriving at the dealership. The closest car with my specifications in Pure White with the Black Roof Pack was a car that's due to being built now. The car has additional options of Rear View Camera and Beats Audio System with Black Roof Pack and 18" Brescia Alloy Wheels.

He's offered to knock the price of the additional extras from the car to half price, meaning that the monthly cost of the car will be an additional £6 a month to what I was originally paying had the first car been white. Only thing is, I am having to wait an extra month at least for the car. :(

It's been a real rough and bumpy ride ordering the right car, however, I think slowly I'm getting there and it's nice to have the rear-view camera and the Beats Audio System in addition to what I originally would be having.

Do you reckon this is a fair price considering the circumstance?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I think they're bending over backwards to accommodate you after their system error by giving half price options (that won't break the bank) to save you a 4 or 5 month wait.

I'd snatch their hands off. If you don't like the reef blue then an extra month will be here before you know it.
The Random Dan
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by The Random Dan »

I’d be starting to wonder if maybe a Fiesta ST would be a better option :lol:

Personally I prefer the reef blue over the white, makes it look more prestigious, but if you really don’t like it then what other choice do you have!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

The Random Dan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:54 pm I’d be starting to wonder if maybe a Fiesta ST would be a better option :lol:

Personally I prefer the reef blue over the white, makes it look more prestigious, but if you really don’t like it then what other choice do you have!
I do like the Reef Blue, I honestly think it looks pure filth - I just think that maintaining the cleanliness and avoiding the swills in the paint will be expensive and hard to do compared to the white.

@monkeyhanger

I think it’s a brilliant gesture, I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas though and adding an extra month or two feels like an extra year!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

MrTomOates wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:02 pm
The Random Dan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:54 pm I’d be starting to wonder if maybe a Fiesta ST would be a better option :lol:

I do like the Reef Blue, I honestly think it looks pure filth - I just think that maintaining the cleanliness and avoiding the swills in the paint will be expensive and hard to do compared to the white.

@monkeyhanger

I think it’s a brilliant gesture, I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas though and adding an extra month or two feels like an extra year!
You need snow foam or a good pre wash with a pressure washer, Two bucket method for shampoo, a mitt not a sponge, a good quality drying cloth or air blower and then a good quality wax applied after the car has been clayed. If you really want to protect it get it ceramic coated before waxing. You can really go into it deep if you wish with detailing but it’s the best way to keep it looking good. I’ve got a whole kit ready for my gti based on various testing I’ve done in my job and stuff I’ve wanted to try.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Dealer giving you a great offer. £6 per month not much extra and wait not much either. However if you like Blue and it’s exact spec you want unless you are desperate for white I’d personally have the Blue in this situation (and I’m waiting on a white with blackpack) , save the wait and the money. Either option a good one in the end.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stick with the white, it really shows off the shape and creases which are completely lost on black and to a lesser extent the Reef blue. I loved the look of my Lapiz blue Golf R, but Reef blue is too dark for my liking.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:41 pm Stick with the white, it really shows off the shape and creases which are completely lost on black and to a lesser extent the Reef blue.
^This. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that when VW first launched the mk7 Golf performance models, they used white cars - probably for this very reason - i.e. it shows off the finer design details in the body panels.

I have experience of owning a previous model Polo GTI in blue - Blue Silk, which isn’t quite as dark as Reef Blue. Even with using a safe wash technique- snow foam pre-wash, three bucket wash method, and drying with a warm air dryer and plush drying towels, I’ve felt the need to machine polish it twice during my 52 months of ownership to remove minor swirling.

From a maintenance point of view, white is a forgiving colour so IMO it’s a good colour choice for anyone who’s unable to devote much time to car cleaning, or who entrusts their car cleaning to others as it hides swirl marks pretty well and doesn’t show water spots. It should also be one of the easier colours to match if if paintwork repairs are ever needed.

My next car will very likely be white.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

Love the responses.

@lancslad1985

You're going to have to tell me what products to get mate because that's something I need. However, I don't have a pressure washer or have access to a hose on the outside of my house which is a shame because it's a new-build. Is there an alternative? I really would love a pressure washer. What products are you using and what sort of clay and drying cloth do you have to have because I've seen some videos where the drying cloths are like small blankets :lol: I'm all for buying them but I'd like to get the right ones if I am going to do it.

@IMA @MonkeyHanger @SRGTD

I think you're all on the same lines as me with the white, there's something about the white which brings out the shape of the car and I like the white, black and red contrast. I do think it's a brilliant offer which I think is too hard to turn down. I have opted to go with the white and things are getting finalised this week, Friday at the very latest. I'm a massive audio lover and any sort of sound system in the car would be brilliant and with my girlfriend having the Beats Polo, I think the sound system is definitely worth the £6 monthly increase with a rear-view camera. Obviously the wait is longer but honestly, if I had chosen the Reef Blue, I would have the car for a month and I'd be thinking, at this point I could have had a Beats Sound System and a rear view camera for an extra £6. :lol:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I do think that the "need" to use pressure washers on cars is oversold. As long as you're cleaning your car regularly so nothing gets baked on and are using microfibre cloths when cleaning so that you're not dragging abrasive crap along the car body surface, you'll be fine.

You can have all the pressure in the world, but it's not going to be enough to remove a splattered bug from the front end without also damaging the paintwork. Some jobs require a careful wipe.

Having applied a sealant in the first place does help. I use G-Techniq C2V3, and the car body feels like it is Teflon coated, it certainly helps to get rid of stains as they do wash off easier.

Pressure washers apply water pressure way beyond that the car would experience driving along at 70mph in the rain. My neighbour jets the wheel arches and underside of his car regularly, water gets to places it wouldn't normally and he's had a few electrical problems with the fog lights (which are accessed through a cut-out in the wheel arch - coincidence?

I have a very good pressure washer (which is capable of pulling the ridges off the decking on it's most powerful setting and the pulse head), but use it purely for cleaning the patio and decking.

2 bucket method with microfibre cloths is fine. If you're washing the car weekly/fortnightly then the amount of crap attached to the car on any given wash is minimal
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MrTomOates wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 am Love the responses.

However, I don't have a pressure washer or have access to a hose on the outside of my house which is a shame because it's a new-build. Is there an alternative? I really would love a pressure washer.
My house didn’t have an outside tap when I moved in so I had one installed. I’ve found it to be invaluable over the years - not just for car washing duties but for other outside jobs where you might need a water supply. So getting an outside tap is worth considering IMO so you don’t have to keep filling your buckets from your kitchen sink.

I did use one of these a few years ago when there was a hosepipe ban;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-868 ... 1712&psc=1

Obviously not as effective as a pressure washer or a hose with a high pressure nozzle but it did a reasonable job of a pre-wash stage in softening and loosening the dirt.

If you do get an outside tap installed but don’t have a pressure washer, one of these might be worth considering - they fit directly onto a hosepipe with Hozelock fittings;

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/cleanyourcar-foam-cannon

I’ve used one in the past before I had a pressure washer. IMO it’s not as good as a snow foam lance fitted to a pressure washer, but it does enable you to do a prewash stage to soften and loosen the dirt before starting the main wash. This YouTube video shows one being used;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7165ZLhZkk