The Great Tyre Debate

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Re: The Great Tyre Debate

Post by stuartrendall »

MattHGR wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm
mjsaville wrote:I've just removed the offside (Drivers) rear wheel, the wheel well lining is slightly bowed but not that bad - although I have nothing to compare against really !!. I have reseated the torx screws as shown in the pictures below circled in green. There is also a clip which goes underneath the car towards where the petrol tank is (difficult to show - pic 3 (Left green circle)).

Note: The circle in red pic 2 - which shows a cable which has become disconnected (I guess during transit), which I easily clipped back into place.

I have now ordered 4 x Michelin PS4s - 225's from Black Circles - 15% for NHS Workers which is great. I havent had time to look at the rear left side, will do tomorrow morning.

cheers

MJ
The cable that became unplugged, it could be the cable to your headlight levelling unit at the back ? It sits on the suspension and adjusts the headlight angle depending on how loaded the car is.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
Looking at those pictures it looks like the rear sub frame and spring so probably not for the headlight leveling sensor
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

There is a rectangular hole on the body shell above the red circle under the liner where the loose cable clips into... It will be interesting to see if the cable is loose on the rear left arch.

MJ
Last edited by mjsaville on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

Goodyear asymmetric 5 currently working out at £270 for 4 with NHS discounts compared to the pilot sport 4 at £355 with discounts. Are the pilot sports really worth the extra as I want mine changed as soon as car arrives?
mjsaville
Getting There!
Drives: Limestone Grey GTI+ (Finallly arrived)

Post by mjsaville »

You pay your money and you take your chance. I used to be a big fan of Pirelli PZero Assometrico's back in the day but Michelin recognised as the best tyres you can get in my opinion right now.

I have Michelin super sports on my BMW M2 (factory fitted) and people on the bimmerpost forum are saying the Pilot Sport 4's are better than the super sports as they are a newer generation of tyre. PS4's provide great grip in the wet too.

MJ
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

mjsaville wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 pm You pay your money and you take your chance. I used to be a big fan of Pirelli PZero Assometrico's back in the day but Michelin recognised as the best tyres you can get in my opinion right now.

I have Michelin super sports on my BMW M2 (factory fitted) and people on the bimmerpost forum are saying the Pilot Sport 4's are better than the super sports as they are a newer generation of tyre. PS4's provide great grip in the wet too.

MJ
Supersports are better than PS4s for grip and comfort,(not hugely, but definitely enough to notice) but they will wear quicker.

Some people thought PS4 was to replace PSS, but really it replaced PS3 and PSS lives on.

If I was buying again for a car doing low mileage a year, I'd buy PSS over PS4. The PS4 is a huge improvement over Bridgestone Turanza.

I put PSS on my Golf R to bin the Bridgestone Potenzas it came on and they are without a doubt the best tyre I've ever experienced for all conditions (inc relatively mild winters (down to -3C). The PS4 gas a bigger protective lip for those that occasionally rub their wheels up against kerbs.
BootsOnBallast
New
Drives: GTI+

Post by BootsOnBallast »

I've tried adjusting the arch liner but it still protrudes a alot so I'll get VW to sort that.

Bought the PilotSport 4s, not in stock at Costco but I've ordered them. The Michelin offer ends tomorrow so I had to take the plunge or forget about it... The next offer is on Bridgestone tyres...

I'm not an expert on tyres by any stretch, a complete novice to be exact. But, the factory fit tyres just feel and sound alot worse than I remember on the test drive. Im not so interested in the added sidewall protection... I just want a better drive and bit less noise, if I get some added comfort too then great.

I'm optimistic that with the help of the forum and the reading I've done I'll get what I'm after with the PS4s.

Thanks Guys.
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

BootsOnBallast wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm I've tried adjusting the arch liner but it still protrudes a alot so I'll get VW to sort that.

Bought the PilotSport 4s, not in stock at Costco but I've ordered them. The Michelin offer ends tomorrow so I had to take the plunge or forget about it... The next offer is on Bridgestone tyres...

I'm not an expert on tyres by any stretch, a complete novice to be exact. But, the factory fit tyres just feel and sound alot worse than I remember on the test drive. Im not so interested in the added sidewall protection... I just want a better drive and bit less noise, if I get some added comfort too then great.

I'm optimistic that with the help of the forum and the reading I've done I'll get what I'm after with the PS4s.

Thanks Guys.
I'm unfamiliar with Costco, what membership do you need to be able to buy them? The £80 discount is impressive
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

[/quote]

I'm unfamiliar with Costco, what membership do you need to be able to buy them? The £80 discount is impressive
[/quote]

It’s about £30 a year, you can save big money on stuff in there but only if you know exactly what you’re going in there for.
When I go on there a pint of milk costs me at least £50... every single time!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

BootsOnBallast wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm I've tried adjusting the arch liner but it still protrudes a alot so I'll get VW to sort that.

Thanks Guys.
Was your test drive with a GTI on 17" Parker wheels (which come with Muchelin Primacy tyres) or 18" Brescias which come on Fred Flintstone tyres?

If the xar felt comfier and gripper, I'd guess the demo car had Parkers on.
BootsOnBallast
New

Post by BootsOnBallast »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Thanks Guys.
Was your test drive with a GTI on 17" Parker wheels (which come with Muchelin Primacy tyres) or 18" Brescias which come on Fred Flintstone tyres?

If the xar felt comfier and gripper, I'd guess the demo car had Parkers on.
Yep correct - I just didn’t like those wheels, it’s all preference obviously. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wish I’d done a little more research beforehand but I’m glad I’ve found this forum now.
My last car was a 1l corsa... I had that from new ten years ago. Maybe it was just the excitement of having a car specs beyond an aux headphone jack!

My Mrs sister was over today, as I’m tyre obsessed now so popped out to inspect her fiesta ST. Obviously she’s got PS4s all round.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Ima wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm Goodyear asymmetric 5 currently working out at £270 for 4 with NHS discounts compared to the pilot sport 4 at £355 with discounts. Are the pilot sports really worth the extra as I want mine changed as soon as car arrives?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_utfLrFaOM

Have a watch of this. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 do very well and I would say if you are on a budget they win out over the MPS4.

When I come to replacing my MPS4 tyres I may be tempted to switch if the pricing is good.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

l3rady wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:07 pm
Ima wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm Goodyear asymmetric 5 currently working out at £270 for 4 with NHS discounts compared to the pilot sport 4 at £355 with discounts. Are the pilot sports really worth the extra as I want mine changed as soon as car arrives?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_utfLrFaOM

Have a watch of this. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 do very well and I would say if you are on a budget they win out over the MPS4.

When I come to replacing my MPS4 tyres I may be tempted to switch if the pricing is good.
The Eagles won't last 3/4 of the time of the Michelins.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 pm The Eagles won't last 3/4 of the time of the Michelins.
In the video from 3m30s he talks about wear and from the data that is out there, pegs all three tires at similar wear. He also touches on the so called internet folk law about Goodyear having terrible wear which is no longer true.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm
One thing worth noting, the Michelin had significantly worse wear than the Contiental and Goodyear, which when combined with the most expensive purchase price on test, meant the French tyre offered the worst value. An unusual situation for a Michelin tyre.
To me the Goodyear's seem like a good buy but it will all come down to what features matter to you most.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've got the Conti6 on my A4. The supplying dealership said they're obliged to replaced tyres less than 3mm on their used cars for sale. The fronts were replaced prior to me getting it with 10400 miles on the clock. The rears don't look great.

So you've a 4WD car (mines a Quattro) with 4.5mm or more wear in about 10k miles. That's a little poor for a FWD car, that's abysmal for a 4WD car that should have roughly equal tyre wear front to back (slightly more wear fronts due to steering having an impact on wear)..

When the rears are done in (looks like soon) I won't be replacing with supersoft Conti 6.
stuartrendall
Bronze Member
Drives: 2020 POLO GTI+

Post by stuartrendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:21 pm I've got the Conti6 on my A4. The supplying dealership said they're obliged to replaced tyres less than 3mm on their used cars for sale. The fronts were replaced prior to me getting it with 10400 miles on the clock. The rears don't look great.

So you've a 4WD car (mines a Quattro) with 4.5mm or more wear in about 10k miles. That's a little poor for a FWD car, that's abysmal for a 4WD car that should have roughly equal tyre wear front to back (slightly more wear fronts due to steering having an impact on wear)..

When the rears are done in (looks like soon) I won't be replacing with supersoft Conti 6.
Not sure if i'm correct or not but didn't Audi overhaul their 'quattro' system to the quattro ultra which works the same way as the Golf R where it is only AWD when the car thinks it should be so maybe that is the reason your tyre wear is inconsistent.