Fuel consumption data

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Fuel consumption data

Post by Mike222 »

Has anyone out there had problems with the fuel consumption screen resetting back to zero by its self? I usually have my dash set up to display information since refueling. ( since start , and long term at push of ok button on steering wheel)
The car is gti + 2020 model. Sometimes when starting engine , the screen I left it on has changed to “ Range “ and displays miles to refill.
The recorded fuel consumption data has reset back to zero on all screens ( ie since refuel, long term , and current)
Any Ideas, I mentioned it To tech when serviced Last week , I don’t think he believed me !
The car has 3500 miles
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Fuel consumption data

Post by SRGTD »

If it’s like other VW models, the long term driving data (including fuel consumption) automatically resets after every 100 hours of driving time. From what you’ve said, it also resets the ‘since refuelling’ and ‘current journey’ data too. What you’ve seen is normal and not a problem with your car, as that’s the way the car’s system for recording driving data works.

Page 22 of the owners manual under Driving Data Display - ‘Long term recorder’ section; it states the various trigger points for resetting the memory for driving data;

- 19hrs 59mins or 99hrs 59mims driving time
- 1,999kms or 9,999kms

I think in the UK only the 99 hrs 59 mims trigger is used. I’m on my fifth VW and the long term driving data has only ever reset back to zero after 100 hrs (or 99hrs 59mins) of driving, hence why I don’t think the other data reset trigger points apply to UK cars.
Alan_p71
New
Drives: 2019 Gti+

Post by Alan_p71 »

Hiya, my polo gti+ 2019 model also does this. All the driving data deletes to zero and my clock goes back to 0.00. This happened 3 times in a week so booked it into my dealer. They had the car for a day and when I got it returned they told me they updated the infotainment software.
I asked for a bit more info and told them I suspected the battery as it reset when the car hadn’t been driven for a day or 2. I was told the battery was fine.
It hasn’t done it since so it looks like the update has done the trick.
My previous golf 7-5 also reset the driving data but not the clock when I used to sit in the car with the ignition key still in.
So I suspect there are software bugs abound in our cars
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

I picked my car up Last October, the display worked fine until April , we had some really hot days in April and I did think it was related to the cars tolerance of heat . Not convinced about that now , it has reset its self this morning and it did it last week .
It’s a great little car otherwise ,
Pirate Pugwash
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi+

Post by Pirate Pugwash »

Another one here. Has happened four times now; clock, trip and overview screen reset to zero.
Dealer has done the software update but the fault is still present. Car booked in again for further investigation.
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

Glad it’s not just me :wink:
Pirate Pugwash
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi+

Post by Pirate Pugwash »

Likewise.
Seems a bit random. A couple of times after rain but then again when it was dry. I thought it was linked to not using the car for a couple of days but the most recent reset was overnight.
Alan_p71
New

Post by Alan_p71 »

I tried anything to try and stop the resetting, I was putting the stereo off before switching off engine, changed the 24hr clock to am/pm. Like you say, it’s was very random.
Seemed to be when I unlocked and opened the door and the active display came on. The clock was then at 0.00, so no time had lapsed since the reset, so it must just happen then. The car had no bother starting and no other electrical problems were present, even after sitting idle for a few days.
The update has worked for me so far( touch wood) but it is a strange one.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Kind of related..

I had a 2018 Polo which behaved perfectly in relation to the various trips.

I now have a 2020 Golf Match Edition and have a similar issue It's the 1.5 TSI EVO.

When I refuel it resets, as it should. I also reset the small trip on the dash.

Then usually after around 10-25 miles if I switch off and go back to it all 3 (Short, Long and Refuel) will have reset. This week though I managed 240miles before it reset. I can be doubly sure because the separate trip on the dash remains the same.

The clock however is unchanged.

I might add it is the last version of the MK7.5 without the normal dashboard.
fran_92
New
Drives: Polo GTI 200hp

Post by fran_92 »

I have the same problem.. my polo is a 2020 GTI model. It is horrible, I don’t know what happens...
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

Regarding this problem with mpg data resetting to zero, I have noticed that it is definitely dependent on the ambient temperature, ( not of the car ! ) this explains why I didn’t have a problem from picking my car up in October to the first time it happened in April ( when the weather warmed up ) It also explains why since the outside temp has dropped my car hasn’t reset for the last two weeks. Weird ! !
fran_92
New
Drives: Polo GTI 200hp

Post by fran_92 »

Mike222 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:40 pm Regarding this problem with mpg data resetting to zero, I have noticed that it is definitely dependent on the ambient temperature, ( not of the car ! ) this explains why I didn’t have a problem from picking my car up in October to the first time it happened in April ( when the weather warmed up ) It also explains why since the outside temp has dropped my car hasn’t reset for the last two weeks. Weird ! !
I don't think so.. this problem happens to me in July and now in December...

Yesterday I have the fuel consumption data reset again. It is horrible to can not view how much consume your car in one tank.
Mike222
Getting There!

Post by Mike222 »

I think your right , mine definitely does it less when it’s cooler though, but it still resets ! Did it two days running this week .
Has anyone mentioned it to their dealer? Mine didn’t believe me I don’t think , and because of the COVID thing it makes it more difficult to talk to a technician.
Alan_p71
New

Post by Alan_p71 »

Hiya, as mentioned in an earlier reply to your post, I had the exact same issue as yourself. All the consumption data and clock randomly reset for no reason.
Took it to the dealership in September and they updated the infotainment software and this seemed to have worked, but alas it has reset again twice since then.
Car is brilliant other than this issue so am just going to live with it as I am not prepared to let them loose on replacing my infotainment unit and causing more problems they don’t know how to remedy 👀
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I have yet to experience the constint resit of data and was wondering (since it all software based) if it has something to do with the Infotainment system installed? I have the Compostion Media fitted as standard and wondered if this may be an issue with the Dicsover Pro (NAV) system?