Rear brake noise on reverse

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Rear brake noise on reverse

Post by SRGTD »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:47 pm Does someone have a video of this noise? I’ve heard lots about it but my one doesn’t make a sound like that in reverse.
If your Polo’s an SEL model then it probably doesn’t affect your car. Seems to be specific to the GTI and GTI+ models.

Here’s a video clip made by forum member @Vonbek2004 of their GTI+ making the noise while reversing;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Lc02rN5 ... e=youtu.be
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Hi All

Here in South Africa the following part number were fitted to address the noise. So far 2 weeks and no noise according to the owner.

V2Q0615413
VWHT010011

I will try and get a picture of the parts.

Regards
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Mine is comically loud now, any neighbours still sleeping when i leave must be disturbed.
But I can't face the hassle of taking it to the dealer (taking time off work etc).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

green justin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:53 am Hi All

Here in South Africa the following part number were fitted to address the noise. So far 2 weeks and no noise according to the owner.

V2Q0615413
VWHT010011

Regards
Interesting, neither comes up in a google search.
You usually get some hits, no matter how obscure, but not a single thing.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:10 am
green justin wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:53 am Hi All

V2Q0615413
VWHT010011

Regards
Interesting, neither comes up in a google search.
You usually get some hits, no matter how obscure, but not a single thing.
Be interesting to know what the fix is / what those parts are. The cynic in me would say that previous fixes implemented by dealers to cure this probably lasted for a couple of weeks, so no noise after two weeks of the new fix might not be an indication of it being successful 🤔.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I've been meaning to post here but never got to it. My car went for its 45000KM service and the brake pads where changed, no more cows in the car YAAY! One the other hand VW also replaced the wiper blades and they are worse than before. Ah well, win some lose some I guess.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Picture attached.

Trying to get the video.
Attachments
DA560A8B-0C51-48B3-BFD3-14F20D789EEE.jpeg
DA560A8B-0C51-48B3-BFD3-14F20D789EEE.jpeg (74.4 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Maybe VW have been reading this forum to find a solution to the noisy brakes issue 😀 - post by RUM4MO below is from the ‘Rear brake noise on reverse’ discussion thread;

Post by RUM4MO » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:37 am

‘I'd think that the only retro fit action on cars after delivery will be rolling out of the old method of sorting this out which is to add some form of damping, either a weight hanging off calliper or carrier or a special bolt that has a weighted head, both just change the frequency of this vibration so that it is less annoying.

I've never heard or felt any of this on my 2011 S4 but it has a weighed special bolt on each rear calliper - ie one calliper retaining bolt is normal, the other has a huge donut of metal on its head, if I had one of these cars and this was annoying me, I'd be trying out that approach if VW Group can't be bothered’
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Take away spare wheels to save weight.
Add weight to stop noise.

You couldn't make it up. :D
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

This was posted on the Polo owners Facebook page today. Just a heads up for anyone having the issue.

My car is booked in for a service next month so I’ll mention it to VW and hopefully this problem can finally be sorted...
Attachments
D1A90CCC-8157-4841-B3A4-BCDB172C4332.jpeg
D1A90CCC-8157-4841-B3A4-BCDB172C4332.jpeg (390.19 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

The post on Facebook makes reference to a recall. Recalls tend to be for defects affecting a car’s safety, and all vehicles that are potentially affected get the fix as a matter of priority. The ‘mooing’ brakes don’t affect braking efficiency and so aren’t a safety issue so I doubt there’ll be a recall.

It’s more likely that this will be be dealt with as a service campaign action, so when cars are next at the dealership for other work (e.g. routine servicing) the fix is applied. It could be that the fix isn’t automatically applied to all GTI / GTI+‘s either, but only on those cars where the customer raises - or has raised - the mooing brakes issue with the dealer and / or has already had previous unsuccessful attempts to eliminate the mooing noise (e.g. software update).

From VW’s website;

Recalls
Recalls address defects relating to motor vehicle safety and non-compliances with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. In the interest of safety, any recall affecting your vehicle should be completed without delay.

Service Campaigns
Service campaigns address product technical issues not directly related to safety or compliance and also can be emissions-related in scope. Service campaigns should be completed promptly in order to help prevent the problem from occurring in your vehicle.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Just spoken to the service department at my local VW dealership.

VW have issued a fix for the issue so mine will (hopefully) be getting sorted the same day it goes in for a service. :)
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

S_94 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:10 pm Just spoken to the service department at my local VW dealership.

VW have issued a fix for the issue so mine will (hopefully) be getting sorted the same day it goes in for a service. :)
I hope you can get it done and it works, would be grateful if you could update us after you have the fix please :-)
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

MilgeS wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:15 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:10 pm Just spoken to the service department at my local VW dealership.

I hope you can get it done and it works, would be grateful if you could update us after you have the fix please :-)
I second this.

If you manage to get it fixed I would love to hear back. My cars in at VW early May for a small repair so I might add it to their to-do list.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

MilgeS wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Will do. :)