Rear brake noise on reverse

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Adeyfred
New
Drives: GTI

Rear brake noise on reverse

Post by Adeyfred »

Anyone else got this? Engage reverse and on movement sounds like a bloody cow mooing!
Car is booked in end of October....seem to remember a thread on this a while ago..🤔
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Rear brake noise on reverse

Post by monkeyhanger »

Adeyfred wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 pm Anyone else got this? Engage reverse and on movement sounds like a bloody cow mooing!
Car is booked in end of October....seem to remember a thread on this a while ago..🤔
There's about 5 threads on this - so pretty much everyone with a GTI/GTI+ has the issue. Don't hold out hope for a proper fix.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Wouldn't waste your time taking it in mate.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 pm Wouldn't waste your time taking it in mate.
Agree. And as has been said before, as braking efficiency isn’t affected, VW are unlikely to consider this a high priority in terms of implementing a proper fix.
Adeyfred
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Adeyfred »

Ahhh!...cheers guys for the replies👍
I won't hold much hope then!🙄
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Text from the wife this morning, she was still in bed when I left.
"what's that noise your car made when you were reversing"

:roll:
SuperNaz1980
New
Drives: GTI Plus

Post by SuperNaz1980 »

Hi All,

Just joined, as found some of the articles very interesting including this one.. I've recently purchased a VW Polo GTi. I have the same issue when reversing, the brakes makes a squealing sound, especially when parked for a long period. The first dealer I took my car to, they said it was due to the brake pad material used by VW. I contacted VW and they said that's not true. Getting a second opinion from another dealer now. Just booked an appointment for December so quite far away. They said they will need to strip the brakes and inspect. They aren't aware of manufacturing issue and suspect due to glazing?? or they maybe able to solve by adjusting the ABS control. Will let everyone know of the findings. Thanks.

Naz
PoloGtIM7
New
Drives: Polo GTI mk7

Post by PoloGtIM7 »

Hi Naz / Everyone

bought my Polo GTI+ Brand new waited 12 months for the build and collected it on 21/12/2019 and on 17/02/2020 it went in for same problem as everyone else is having. sounds like a bloody cow is making sounds in the back of my car lol they changed the rear brake pads and the sound went away for around 2 months and now the sound is back but this time 100x worst. the car went back in on the 02/11/2020 and I've just been told VW are now aware of the problem and there is currently no remedy for repair

Has anyone else got anymore info on this problem ?

I am in the process of filing for rejection under the consumer rights. but of course i dont want to lose the £6k deposit I put into my car does anyone know how i stand ?

Thanks Louie
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

PoloGtIM7 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:40 am Hi Naz / Everyone

bought my Polo GTI+ Brand new waited 12 months for the build and collected it on 21/12/2019 and on 17/02/2020 it went in for same problem as everyone else is having. sounds like a bloody cow is making sounds in the back of my car lol they changed the rear brake pads and the sound went away for around 2 months and now the sound is back but this time 100x worst. the car went back in on the 02/11/2020 and I've just been told VW are now aware of the problem and there is currently no remedy for repair

Has anyone else got anymore info on this problem ?

I am in the process of filing for rejection under the consumer rights. but of course i dont want to lose the £6k deposit I put into my car does anyone know how i stand ?

Thanks Louie
You're not going to like this, but your chances of rejection are more or less zero. :(
For starters, you've had the car for 11 months....
Rejection is easy for 30 days, still relatively easy for 60 days and then gets progressively harder.
I know all of this because I was recently going through rejection of an Evoque that was in the garage every week for the first 5 weeks we had it for a serious fault.

For seconds, you say it went into the garage on 17/2 and 2/11, so that's only two days off road.
That's nothing.
Thirdly, a noise during reverse isn't exactly a serious fault that prevents you using the car, or a safety issue.

Your case for rejection is so weak as to be pointless....sorry. :(

You clearly dislike the car over and above the brake problem as it's nowhere near serious enough to ruin it (and my car makes the same noise and yes it's annoying).
So maybe you just need to bite the bullet and sell it or trade it in.
Perhaps the dealer will do you a deal seeing as you're pee'd off with it.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

A member of the forum wayne10244 has explained this problem in more detail. If the noise is annoying you that much, his advice is to change your pads to a softer compound. See here: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=75354&p=574761#p574761

EBC yellow stuff pads are recommended by him.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Two months into ownership and my GTI+ has been pretty much moo-free. There’s just been a hint of a very subdued mooing noise on a couple of occasions:- when using the car after I’ve washed it and there’s been the usual post-wash coating of light rust on the braking surface of the discs.

Apart from that, no mooing brakes, although I’ve probably tempted fate now by saying that 😀.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Mine moos really loud every morning.
But seeing as it's only 10 feet a day, it's not something I'm going to take time off work to go to the dealer about.
I may mention it when it goes in for the knocking tailgate, I wish that only happened 10 feet a day....
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Post by Iamnotbarry »

Hi guys, I've had my GTi+ for 12 months and it's just had its first service. I mentioned about the squealing noise when it's in reverse to the dealership, and they investigated the issue and found something wrong with the abs system.
They did a system update which has stopped the noise.
Hopefully that is the end of it, but I'm guessing it will return.
Will keep you updated if it returns
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Iamnotbarry wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:19 pm Hi guys, I've had my GTi+ for 12 months and it's just had its first service. I mentioned about the squealing noise when it's in reverse to the dealership, and they investigated the issue and found something wrong with the abs system.
They did a system update which has stopped the noise.
Hopefully that is the end of it, but I'm guessing it will return.
Will keep you updated if it returns
Other owners with mooing brakes have had the software update and the noise returns, so expect your quiet brakes to be short lived.

Forum member @wayne10244 has lots of knowledge on car braking systems and has said the noise is down to the hard compound of the brake pads used on the Polo GTI / GTI+ and that fitting softer compound aftermarket pads may well solve the issue.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

It's definitely a resonance between the pads and the discs.
God only knows what an update to the ABS could do to alleviate this.
The calipers can't be instructed to 'pull' the pads away from the calipers, so that's out.
They can only really tell the calipers to release pressure from the pads, the pads just naturally come away from the discs when the pressure is released.
So, at a guess, the ABS update tells the pistons to release 'a bit more than normal' in the hope the pads move pad a bit more and stop rubbing? :?:
Seems a bit Heath Robinson to me.