Rear brake noise on reverse

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Re: Rear brake noise on reverse

Post by tom.wright »

Think they all do it. Mine's done it since about 2 months old, it's now nearing a year and a half. It's worse when the conditions are cold and/or damp, it doesn't do it so much during the summer.

I just put it down to character, makes people laugh when I reverse off the driveway :lol:
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

After a year and only 4,400 miles (for obvious reasons) our brake squeaking seems to have stopped of its own accord.

Hope it stays away.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

It's getting worse on mine, I'm getting very loud mooing and squeal in reverse.
Reverse parking in the office is now raising eyebrows, so I think it'll have to get seen to.
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

I thought I’d escaped this problem! Alas no! Took delivery mid July 2019 and up until about a month ago no mooing! Only done 5800 miles due to lockdown and working from home. Now makes quite a racket when reversing first thing in the morning. Been following this issue since the beginning and nothing appears to provide a lasting fix so I’m living with it. The car has been faultless other than this.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve come to the conclusion that with my GTI+ the mooing noise only happens when the brake discs get wet and a thin layer of rust has formed on the discs as a result of them getting wet.

I garage my car and if I wash it and then garage it immediately after washing / drying, the next time I use the car and reverse out of my garage, the mooing noise happens. It doesn’t do it again until the next time the brake discs get wet and the thin layer of rust has formed again.

Can’t say it bothers me - it’s done it three or four times now in just under 3.5 months of ownership. The brakes work fine and braking efficiency isn’t affected. Additionally, I don’t spend much time where I’m reversing and braking at the same time, and once the rust has been cleaned off the surface of the discs through braking, the brakes are silent.

Compared to everything else that’s going on right now (the pandemic, people losing their lives, business failures and people losing their jobs etc.), the occasional mooing noise from my car’s brakes when I’m reversing pales into insignificance and isn’t important. I can live with it.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Anyone else's started mooing off the brakes in reverse?
Mine is, slightly.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Can't say I ever have. Car is 18 months old, 10,000 miles done.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:46 am Anyone else's started mooing off the brakes in reverse?
Mine is, slightly.
Yes, always has done, I told the dealer the pads are glazing because they don't fully release but they can't do anything about it. I paid for the pads to be "roughed up" a while ago and that fixed the mooing, so it's clearly a simple solution of bringing the pads back to clear the discs if VW could be arsed to implement it.
Kayster
New
Drives: 2.0 GTI TSI

Post by Kayster »

Hi guys. I also have the same issue. Took the matter to VW South Africa and they pretty much said “it doesn’t affect brake efficiency so suck it up!” I suggest you guys accept that it’s a factory fault, you’ll find peace once you accept that because VWSA knows about the issue and is not doing anything to rectify it and continues to make them that way.

But now today I called my local dealer looking for pad replacement and he said front brakes pads have been replaced/upgraded to a different brand at a R2000 (£100) premium. So now front pads are R4200 (£213). It’s unlikely to fix the issue considering it’s happening at the back but I thought you guys should know that oem front pads are now freaking expensive. If somehow the problem disappears with these new front pads, I’ll let you know.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

MilgeS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 am so it's clearly a simple solution of bringing the pads back to clear the discs if VW could be arsed to implement it.
This is clearly what the software update to fix it is trying to achieve, it will be telling the rear calipers (via the ABS) to release more than normal.
Of course, the trouble is that doesn't actually pull the pads any further away from the discs, it relies on the last braking motion (as you pull into your drive) to be such that the pads move themselves further away.
It's a clear 'keep your fingers crossed/we'll give it a try' option. :(
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 am
MilgeS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:45 am so it's clearly a simple solution of bringing the pads back to clear the discs if VW could be arsed to implement it.
This is clearly what the software update to fix it is trying to achieve, it will be telling the rear calipers (via the ABS) to release more than normal.
Of course, the trouble is that doesn't actually pull the pads any further away from the discs, it relies on the last braking motion (as you pull into your drive) to be such that the pads move themselves further away.
It's a clear 'keep your fingers crossed/we'll give it a try' option. :(
Would be nice if they made the software update available to all to try, even if it doesn't fully fix the problem for everyone it might for some.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

MilgeS wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:22 pm Would be nice if they made the software update available to all to try, even if it doesn't fully fix the problem for everyone it might for some.
They'll only do that for safety problems.
Otherwise they'll just leave it for owners to ask.
That way they only get billed for X hours of labour from the dealers, rather than Y.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that the only retro fit action on cars after delivery will be rolling out of the old method of sorting this out which is to add some form of damping, either a weight hanging off calliper or carrier or a special bolt that has a weighted head, both just change the frequency of this vibration so that it is less annoying.

I've never heard or felt any of this on my 2011 S4 but it has a weighed special bolt on each rear calliper - ie one calliper retaining bolt is normal, the other has a huge donut of metal on its head, if I had one of these cars and this was annoying me, I'd be trying out that approach if VW Group can't be bothered.
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 am
MilgeS wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:22 pm Would be nice if they made the software update available to all to try, even if it doesn't fully fix the problem for everyone it might for some.
They'll only do that for safety problems.
Otherwise they'll just leave it for owners to ask.
That way they only get billed for X hours of labour from the dealers, rather than Y.
I have asked but been told there is no update, even the service in July this year there was no sign of an update on their system, possible the update hasn't been released worldwide so it doesn't show up on UK systems?
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Does someone have a video of this noise? I’ve heard lots about it but my one doesn’t make a sound like that in reverse.