Stop start and braking

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Stop start and braking

Post by Andy Beats »

The wife's Evoque has limitless hold when you press the brake pedal hard.
First time I've come across that in a manual car, I'm more used to the versions that only hold for a few seconds.
It's brilliant, every car should have it.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:46 pm The wife's Evoque has limitless hold when you press the brake pedal hard.
First time I've come across that in a manual car, I'm more used to the versions that only hold for a few seconds.
The manual MK7 Golf will hold indefinitely so you don't have to sit on the brake pedal at a junction. As the Polo GTI's DSG is set to move without your foot on the brake (even without any throttle input), you don't have a choice with the Polo. Also, the stop start won't re-engage on a manual Golf until you dip the clutch to put it into gear. Would be so easy to implement if the Polo had an electronic clutch.

On the Scirocco (which had a ye olde handbrake) VCDS could be used to increase the engagement time on hill hold. Can't see any technical reason why it couldn't be set indefinitely without an electronic handbrake - if the engine stays on. That would stop the stop-start cutting in - probably the primary reason.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:46 pm The wife's Evoque has limitless hold when you press the brake pedal hard.
Oh yes, for me, a bit annoying to drive one car, my wife's 2015 Polo with the "hill hold lite" ie only 3 seconds and my car 2011 S4 with the real deal, both 6MT.

My only worry is that some people, well my mate's wife, probably does not know about the "handbrake" function as their Troc will be doing all the thinking/acting, so in her world the handbrake function does not now exist I'd think.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

In my Other Car with proper auto hand brake function, I can take my foot off the pedal and the car will remain stopped forever and the clutch will be disengaged.

However, if I’m in traffic such as a red traffic light or a junction where I’ll be stopped for more than “a few seconds” then I’ll flick on the Electronic Parking Brake switch and kill the 3 blinding brake lights as a courtesy to the driver behind.

It ain’t hard. It’s polite. Why wouldn’t you?
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm I don't think it's an age thing.
I think it's more to do with a huge increase in automatic cars on the road, combined with ridiculously bright LED brake lights.
It is sadly an age thing, many people my age have problems with very bright lights. The muscles in your eyes are like all your muscles they age and the range reduces as does the speed your eyes react to changes in light levels. Hence you find the need for glasses for either close or distance.
My eyes were terrible at one time, in fact I'd stopped night time driving, but after having cataracts removed the doctors tell me I have 20 20 vision. So alls good, but bright lights still an issue but not so bad.

But you're right in that modern cars lighting is much brighter than carbide lamps. Instead of a few LED's some new models rely on single ultra bright LED's