Testing driving Polo GTI+ tomorrow

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Re: Testing driving Polo GTI+ tomorrow

Post by stevereeves »

I hear all this 'comfort stuff', I also suffer from back / leg issues and interestingly the Golf (and I think the Polo) is one of the few cars I can be remotely confortable in enough to drive or ride in for a decent time. A mate once proudly showed off to me his new BMW, M5 I think, despite the leather elecrtically adjustable memory seats after only a quick spin I was almost in tears from the lack of comfort. So was my mate when I told him his new £40,000ish car was no good to me. Comfort level is a personal relative thing and not to be underestimated....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:43 am I hear all this 'comfort stuff', I also suffer from back / leg issues and interestingly the Golf (and I think the Polo) is one of the few cars I can be remotely confortable in enough to drive or ride in for a decent time. A mate once proudly showed off to me his new BMW, M5 I think, despite the leather elecrtically adjustable memory seats after only a quick spin I was almost in tears from the lack of comfort. So was my mate when I told him his new £40,000ish car was no good to me. Comfort level is a personal relative thing and not to be underestimated....
Agree, it’s very much a personal thing and can’t be underestimated - especially by those of us unfortunate to have back and leg pain-related issues.

Some years ago, I had to go on a business trip for the company I worked for at the time. It was a 180-ish mile journey there (so a 360-ish mile round trip). I booked the hire car and a nearly new mk1 Ford Focus was delivered to me (it was the early 2000’s so the mk1 was the current model Focus at the time). In all my 40+ years of driving, I have never driven a more uncomfortable car than that mk1 Focus and I just couldn’t get comfortable, however I adjusted the seat and steering wheel. I have owned Fords before - I had four of them in the 1980’s - and they were all very comfortable, but not the mk1 Focus, which was hailed by the motoring press in the late 1990’s when it was launched as the benchmark car for ride and handling in the Golf-sized car segment; I can’t remember if it got similar plaudits for driver comfort though.

Because of the large volumes that the mk1 Focus sold in, driver comfort must’ve been fine for the vast majority of people who bought one. But that car wasn’t for me, and I was so glad to get home and back to my mk4 Golf that I owned at the time.

I’m now on VW no.5 and and have never had any issues with finding a comfortable driving position in those VW’s. But as said by @stevereeves, comfort level is a very personal thing, and we’re all different heights, shapes and sizes, ages and with different levels of mobility and flexibility, so what’s comfortable for one person might be very uncomfortable for another.
jazzyr85
New
Drives: N/A

Post by jazzyr85 »

I brought the car home today. I can honestly say it’s the best car I’ve ever personally driven and I definitely will not be trading this one in in a few months time!
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

jazzyr85 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:45 pm I brought the car home today. I can honestly say it’s the best car I’ve ever personally driven and I definitely will not be trading this one in in a few months time!
Congrats on the car purchase, GTI+ is a nicely specced car.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Congrats and welcome to the club. The gti is a fantastic little beast.