Electric folding mirrors

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Connorp1234
New
Drives: 2019 gti

Electric folding mirrors

Post by Connorp1234 »

I’ve just bought a 2019 polo gti and on the lever to adjust the wing mirrors it has an icon to fold them in, which doesn’t work, I’m wondering if this same lever is fitted on all gti’s even if they don’t have the optional electric folding mirrors or if mine is faulty and the mirrors should fold in when I use this lever
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Electric folding mirrors

Post by SRGTD »

If you have the optional electrical folding door mirrors in your GTI, then your mirror adjustment control will be like this;
C790448B-6827-4CFF-AC06-81B12ED8A702.png
C790448B-6827-4CFF-AC06-81B12ED8A702.png (39.29 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
I’d have thought that cars without the folding mirror function would have a different control knob - like this one;
154CFC33-FEA3-48F8-9C86-B2F9414F4AEB.jpeg
154CFC33-FEA3-48F8-9C86-B2F9414F4AEB.jpeg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
In my GTI+ which has electrically folding door mirrors as part of the standard spec, turning the control to the bottom left symbol with the ignition on results in the mirrors folding in. If the rotary control is pointing to any of the other symbols, then the mirrors will auto fold and unfold when you lock and unlock the car.

I can’t remember but there may be a ‘mirrors’ setting within the car settings menu - accessed via the infotainment screen (I can check in my car tomorrow). If there is, then that setting might need changing in your car so the mirrors fold when you adjust the control on the driver’s door.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:18 pm I’d have thought that cars without the folding mirror function would have a different control knob - like this one;

154CFC33-FEA3-48F8-9C86-B2F9414F4AEB.jpeg
Correct, this is like mine without the electric folding mirrors.
silversurfer2020
New
Drives: Polo United 1.0 TSI 95 DSG

Post by silversurfer2020 »

Our VW Polo is now about six weeks old so we thought we would try to alter the mirror settings to do the following:
1. Allow nearside mirror to dip when parking close to a kerb
2. Allow both mirrors to fold in when locking the car when parking in tight spaces.
(We do have the folding mirror symbol on the mirrors control knob)
So straight over to Vehicle Settings and we chose the 'Mirrors and wipers' option
HOWEVER ONLY THE WIPER OPTIONS ARE DISPLAYED
Please see attached photos
Anyone got any idea where are my Mirror options?
Attachments
Vehicle settings.jpg
Vehicle settings.jpg (353.25 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Wipers only.jpg
Wipers only.jpg (321.36 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
silversurfer2020
New

Our VW Polo is now about six weeks old so we thought we would try to alter the mirror settings to do the following:
1. Allow nearside mirror to dip when parking close to a kerb
2. Allow both mirrors to fold in when locking the car when parking in tight spaces.
(We do have the folding mirror symbol on the mirrors control knob)
So straight over to Vehicle Settings and we chose the 'Mirrors and wipers' option
HOWEVER ONLY THE WIPER OPTIONS ARE DISPLAYED
Please see attached photos
Anyone got any idea where are my Mirror options?
Attachments
Vehicle settings.jpg
Vehicle settings.jpg (353.25 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Wipers only.jpg
Wipers only.jpg (321.36 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@silversurfer2020; I’ve just been and checked the ‘mirror and wiper settings’ menu in my car - Polo GTI+ which has electrically folding / dipping kerbside mirror as part of the standard spec. My car does have a separate ‘Mirrors’ sub-menu;

ABA8AC37-EDFE-4ACC-AC40-D0F0C2D68814.jpeg
ABA8AC37-EDFE-4ACC-AC40-D0F0C2D68814.jpeg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 6655 times

From your forum signature details I see that you have a Polo United. The United doesn’t have electrically foldable door mirrors or dipping kerbside mirror while reversing as part of the car’s standard spec, so this would’ve needed to have been added as an extra cost option when the car was ordered. I see from your first post on the forum in the ‘New mid range United spec’ discussion topic that you said the only options your car has is Pure White paint and DSG transmission.

This is the door mirror adjustment control on my car - it’s the symbol circled in red that your adjustment control knob needs to have for you to have electrically foldable door mirrors;

0A887231-6EDC-4D91-A61B-8C5F8AB76B76.jpeg
0A887231-6EDC-4D91-A61B-8C5F8AB76B76.jpeg (95.85 KiB) Viewed 6655 times

If your mirror adjustment control is the same as mine, there’s always a chance that the factory installed the incorrect version when your car was built. However;
  • as you don’t have the ‘Mirrors’ sub menu in the ‘Car Settings’ menus
  • electrically folding mirrors / dipping kerbside mirror is an extra cost option on the United model and you didn’t spec that option on your car
I’d say that your car won’t have this functionality.
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

I have a 2019 GTI+ with folding mirrors and just checked the menu settings. On mine I have a separate “Mirrors” pair of options just above the “Wipers” options shown in the picture above. The “Mirrors” options are “Lower while reversing” and “Fold when locking”.
silversurfer2020
New

Our Polo United does have the folding mirror symbol on the mirrors control knob, exactly as shown, circled in red on previous photo. It is strange that our Vehicle settings menu shows Mirror and Wiper settings when there are no mirror settings to set? Why not just state Wiper settings? The handbook supplied with the vehicle also refers to the folding mirrors. I have checked the list of optional extras for this car and could not see any options regarding the mirrors. Could it be possible that there is a software error on our car and that is why the mirror options are not shown? It would be useful if anyone else with a United model could post about the mirror options.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

I would suggest to read the manual more carefully. Boxing the setting in the car menu just is not enough to make it happen ;)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

silversurfer2020 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:05 pm Our Polo United does have the folding mirror symbol on the mirrors control knob, exactly as shown, circled in red on previous photo. It is strange that our Vehicle settings menu shows Mirror and Wiper settings when there are no mirror settings to set? Why not just state Wiper settings? The handbook supplied with the vehicle also refers to the folding mirrors. I have checked the list of optional extras for this car and could not see any options regarding the mirrors. Could it be possible that there is a software error on our car and that is why the mirror options are not shown? It would be useful if anyone else with a United model could post about the mirror options.
What happens if you move the mirror adjustment control to the folding position with the ignition on? Do your mirrors fold in? I had a Golf some years ago with electric folding mirrors, but they only folded when the mirror adjustment control was moved to the ‘folding’ icon. There was no functionality for them to auto-fold / unfold electrically when locking and unlocking the car remotely with the key fob, and the kerbside mirror didn’t dip when reversing. Maybe the Polo United has just this limited level of electric folding mirror functionality.
Rosinfield wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:39 am I would suggest to read the manual more carefully. Boxing the setting in the car menu just is not enough to make it happen ;)
Forum member @silversurfer2020 can’t do anything to the menu settings for mirrors as they don’t have a ‘Mirrors’ sub menu in the car settings, although they do have an electrically folding mirror icon on the mirror adjustment control on the drivers door, suggesting their car has the functionality associated with electrically folding door mirrors with kerbside dipping function. This electric folding / dipping mirrors isn’t a standard feature on the Polo United model in the UK (only the R_Line and GTI+ get this as standard) and @silversurfer2020 didn’t add this option when ordering their car.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

In that case (the car does not have this option) I presume there will be nothing to box/unbox in the car menu
silversurfer2020
New

I have tried using the mirror switch in the folding position with the ignition off, with ignition on and with the engine running and none of these actions get the mirrors to fold. I am going to visit the local VW dealer from where we bought the car from, early in the new year. If necessary, I will get them to phone VW to check about my query as to whether the folding mirrors should work on the United model. It is strange that the mirror knob does show the folding option but as one poster has already posted then perhaps VW have installed the wrong knob showing a non operational option. I will find out early in 2021 and will post the answer. Thanks for the replies so far.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

silversurfer2020 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:17 pm I have tried using the mirror switch in the folding position with the ignition off, with ignition on and with the engine running and none of these actions get the mirrors to fold. I am going to visit the local VW dealer from where we bought the car from, early in the new year. If necessary, I will get them to phone VW to check about my query as to whether the folding mirrors should work on the United model. It is strange that the mirror knob does show the folding option but as one poster has already posted then perhaps VW have installed the wrong knob showing a non operational option. I will find out early in 2021 and will post the answer. Thanks for the replies so far.
No sign of folding mirrors in the spec of the United Polo.
You'll forgive me for having a little chuckle when you were so scathing of me being unsure if my 'Beats' had cruise or not. :lol:
"didn't you check the spec" etc.etc.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:30 pm
silversurfer2020 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:17 pm I have tried using the mirror switch in the folding position with the ignition off, with ignition on and with the engine running and none of these actions get the mirrors to fold. I am going to visit the local VW dealer from where we bought the car from, early in the new year. If necessary, I will get them to phone VW to check about my query as to whether the folding mirrors should work on the United model. It is strange that the mirror knob does show the folding option but as one poster has already posted then perhaps VW have installed the wrong knob showing a non operational option. I will find out early in 2021 and will post the answer. Thanks for the replies so far.
No sign of folding mirrors in the spec of the United Polo.
You'll forgive me for having a little chuckle when you were so scathing of me being unsure if my 'Beats' had cruise or not. :lol:
"didn't you check the spec" etc.etc.
@Andy Beats; I think you may have mistaken forum member silversurfer2020 who only joined the forum last month, for another forum member; silverhairs.

silverhairs hasn’t been active on the forum for a couple of months now.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:53 pm
@Andy Beats; I think you may have mistaken forum member silversurfer2020 who only joined the forum last month, for another forum member; silverhairs.

silverhairs hasn’t been active on the forum for a couple of months now.
Ah, a classic wrong-spy. :oops:
Apologies to Silversurfer. :!: