Long Term Ownership.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
macamxthe1st
New
Drives: Mini Cooper Auto

Long Term Ownership.

Post by macamxthe1st »

Following 50+ years of serial car and motorcycle purchasing, times, they are a-changing. I have been very fortunate in that I have been in a position to buy a new car on a regular basis and whilst it has not been the most astute move from a financial point of view I have thoroughly enjoyed doing it and have no regrets. I currently own a Mini Cooper Auto and very good it is to but I would not be comfortable keeping it long term, it has been faultless but I am very wary of any BMW products once the warranty period has expired. The Mini will be two years old in the spring and I intend to change it at this point. The difference this time is that I intend to keep my next car for a long time and have no intention of been dragged along with this smoke and mirrors electric car con that is currently in full swing. Having owned several VAG products over the years and been very happy with them I think that the current Polo is about as good as it gets as to being a good long-term all-round ownership proposition. So to my question, which one? I would prefer a DSG but would a manual be a better bet for long-term reliability, would fancy a Gti but feel that the 115bhp variant would be a more sensible choice and if so in what trim level. The more that I look into this the more complex it becomes so the views of some current owners would be much appreciated.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Re: Long Term Ownership.

Post by phillos »

I have an early produced GTI (DSG) and while the car is fun to drive the amounts of issues I’ve had with it has had me seriously doubt whether I’d get another VW again.
  • DSGs jerkiness at stop&go traffic.
  • Moo’ing brakes on reverse
  • Sound actor rattles
  • Unknown rattle from rear compartment
  • GPF regens, that VW doesnt even acknowledge exists.
  • Wiper blades made of sandpaper
  • Front suspension klonk sounds
  • ”Air worms” under screen in infotainment
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

To offer a balanced view these are the problems I've noticed so far:

Moo’ing brakes on reverse (it happens less frequently now)

Sound actor rattles (disabled - dont need it)

Wiper blades made of sandpaper (this still annoys me to no end)

Other than the above I still enjoy the vehicle and plan to keep it for at leasr another 4 years/ 100 000KM,
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Welcome to the forum @macamxthe1st.

My current Polo (2020 GTI+) is my fifth successive VW. I’ve never had any serious issues with any of the VW’s I’ve owned; the first two each had to have a new sensor replaced, but apart from that, the only time they’ve seen the inside of the dealer’s workshop is for routine servicing and MOT’s, plus new tyres when needed. I’ve kept each of my previous years for between 4-5 years and plan on keeping my current car a similar length of time.

I’ve only had my current Polo just over two months so it’s a little early to give an update on any long term ownership issues. I’ve experienced the ‘mooing’ brake noise when reversing, but only on a couple of occasions and if you do a search on this forum board you’ll find a lengthy discussion topic on the subject. One forum member who is knowledgeable on car braking systems has said the noise is a consequence of the brake pad material VW use. It doesn’t affect braking efficiency. My wiper blades are currently OK, but if I did find they didn’t clean the screen effectively then I’d just replace them with a better set - probably Bosch Aerotwins. GPF issues mentioned by @phillos; regeneration to burn off the accumulated soot deposits is a normal function of the GPF when the soot content reaches a certain level, so I wouldn’t consider it to be an issue. The only issue I’ve experienced with my car - and only on one occasion - my nearside electrically folding door mirror failed to fold in when I locked the car. It only did it once and has been fine since.

My car has so far been squeak and rattle free (none of my previous VW’s have suffered from squeaks or rattles either, other than the occasional rattle, which can happen in much more expensive cars too). The soundaktor which pumps fake engine noise into the cabin can buzz and vibrate in some engine modes but I have mine set on the eco setting and it doesn’t buzz or vibrate, so an easy DIY solution if it does buzz. Alternatively, it can be unplugged altogether. My DSG transmission hasn’t been jerky in stop/start traffic - this is my first non-manual car and I’m enjoying the DSG. Admittedly, it’s not as controllable as a manual and doesn’t always anticipate the correct next gear, but IMO it’s still pretty good.

Some owners have experienced a rattle from the handbrake - cured by packing a small amount of felt type material between the handbrake button and the handbrake lever. Early cars were subject to a seat belt safety recall (one of the rear seat belts could become unfastened in certain driving conditions), so if buying an early used model, check that the recall action has been performed.

If you were thinking of buying a brand new car, be aware that currently, the GTI / GTI+ isn’t being built for the UK market. I read on another VW forum that the Polo GTI should become back available by the end of Q1 2021 once it’s been made RDE emission compliant (forum member who posted this is a general sales manager at a large VW dealership, so it’s hopefully correct).

If I had a choice, I’d avoid diamond cut alloy wheels. IMO these aren’t really durable enough for daily use throughout the UK winter weather when the roads are often smothered in salt and grit, and as a consequence they often succumb to white worm corrosion before they get to three years old. Favouring painted / powder coated alloys over diamond cut alloys is just my personal preference though, although I will be swapping my diamond cut wheels over to something more durable very soon.

All in all I’m happy with my car and don’t have any regrets buying it.
macamxthe1st
New

Post by macamxthe1st »

Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated and have already given me a better understanding of the model.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

macamxthe1st wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:45 am Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated and have already given me a better understanding of the model.
Hi and welcome to the forum
I have the 115ps sel model, now 110ps I believe, that in my case came with the winter pack and the style pack. Unlike others I have had no problems with brakes mooing and it is very quiet.
Things I miss over my previous car a Seat Leon 140 ps, cruise control, led headlights, folding wing mirrors ( which by the way went faulty after 5½ years of ownership ,and I certainly have to use the gears a bit more on hill work on the Polo. Have found the sweet spot to be 4th gear for most eventualities.
Otherwise in my 8 months of ownership it has been faultless.
My son has a 2018 GTI which he loves and similarly has had no problems.
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Post by LeebzP »

I own the 1.0 TSI R-Line

The only three things I'd complain abut are:
1. Sandpaper Wipers - Common issue.
2. Perhaps my biggest issue - Rattle/tractor-like noise from the gearbox side from second gear onwards under acceleration (both dealers[Hatfield and Bidvest] says it's normal for three cylinder cars to which I call Bull*** because I've lived with two three cylinder Toyotas before). I'm thinking of going to an independent mechanic to diagnose that sound.
3. Rattling electric window buttons. I've solved that by inserting a tiny piece of paper in between the buttons and the door plastic.

Other than that, the car is rock solid and the torque output is amazing. VW's really feel light on their feet.
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I have a 2019 GTI+ and overall had a faultless experience. The only issues I've had (if you can call them that):

- The mooing/squeaking noise when braking in reverse only
- A rattle behind the steering wheel/centre dash. It sounds like a plastic clip or something has worked loose and slides across from one side to the other when you go round a corner
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I have a 2020 GTI+ from new. Had no issues really apart from a scratch missed in the pdi but vw repaired it for free. I also suffer from mooing brakes and a slight rattle but I live with it and it isn't a problem really.
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

I have a 2018 1.0 tsi SE in reef blue. When I bought it new it was a toss up between it and a mini cooper. I also intend to keep this car a long time and have owned many new VWs. Somehow the mini didn't seem worth the money even though it was probably a lot more fun to own. I also have no intention of buying an electric car at this stage as much as I like the id3. I think the price is ridiculous and I guess will not hold its value as the technology may become outdated very quickly as things move on.
I have been very happy with the polo apart from a niggling jerk at low revs which may be unique to mine. I had the brake noise when reversing but it dissapeared after 10k miles. I hate the automatic braking because it has slammed on 3 times for no apparent reason so I switch it off every time I start the car as well as the stop/start.
Apart from that a very solid feeling car with absolutely
no creaks or rattles that handles very well considering it's not a sports model. Also quite spritely and feels big and very capable on the motorway... I have owned 3 golf GTIs (mk4 & 5) and dont feel particularly compromised.
Mine is manual and I would not change it to DSG. The gear change is really nice and solid feeling and probably less likely to give problems long term.
Not my reason for choosing the model but I can get 70mpg or more if I want to but for normal care free driving I average about 54mpg on my 50% motorway 50% A road commute.
Also for a non sports model I find the seats have very good side support and are comfortable with nice spongy headrests. No back ache on long journeys and my back is not good.
If I could turn back time I would choose the metallic grey and R line trim but there wasn't much option when I bought mine without a long wait.
I dont think the golf is worth the extra money and despite the niggles I wouldnt choose another make as I think that all makes will have similar issues due to cars being so complex these days.
I hope this helps
macamxthe1st
New

Post by macamxthe1st »

johnparker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:17 pm I have a 2018 1.0 tsi SE in reef blue. When I bought it new it was a toss up between it and a mini cooper. I also intend to keep this car a long time and have owned many new VWs. Somehow the mini didn't seem worth the money even though it was probably a lot more fun to own. I also have no intention of buying an electric car at this stage as much as I like the id3. I think the price is ridiculous and I guess will not hold its value as the technology may become outdated very quickly as things move on.
I have been very happy with the polo apart from a niggling jerk at low revs which may be unique to mine. I had the brake noise when reversing but it dissapeared after 10k miles. I hate the automatic braking because it has slammed on 3 times for no apparent reason so I switch it off every time I start the car as well as the stop/start.
Apart from that a very solid feeling car with absolutely
no creaks or rattles that handles very well considering it's not a sports model. Also quite spritely and feels big and very capable on the motorway... I have owned 3 golf GTIs (mk4 & 5) and dont feel particularly compromised.
Mine is manual and I would not change it to DSG. The gear change is really nice and solid feeling and probably less likely to give problems long term.
Not my reason for choosing the model but I can get 70mpg or more if I want to but for normal care free driving I average about 54mpg on my 50% motorway 50% A road commute.
Also for a non sports model I find the seats have very good side support and are comfortable with nice spongy headrests. No back ache on long journeys and my back is not good.
If I could turn back time I would choose the metallic grey and R line trim but there wasn't much option when I bought mine without a long wait.
I dont think the golf is worth the extra money and despite the niggles I wouldnt choose another make as I think that all makes will have similar issues due to cars being so complex these days.
I hope this helps
Once again thanks for all the very helpful replies, the above is a perfect reflection of my feelings especially with regards to electric cars and the Mini but my wife wanted the Mini ( a £20k+ car without Apple car play is a nonsense ). I will wait until the budget in the spring as I suspect that there may be some nasty surprises and my final decision will come down to a Polo Se 1.0 Tsi Dsg or a Honda Jazz Hybrid.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’ve got a 20 plate gti plus. It’s my first auto and I love it. Yes there’s a couple of issues with the car but none of them have made me dislike the car in any form. I find it adds character! Mine are:-
1. Mooing brakes when reversing. This didn’t really happen when I first got the car apart from when damp but it does this constantly at the moment.
2. Vibrating sound actuator. This is annoying but I got round it by setting individual up as sport mode without the sport sound. Problem solved.

I wouldn’t say GPF regens are an issue, that’s standard for the car and my dealer warned me about it when I bought the car. I just whack it in individual mode with the gears in manual and burn it off once a week whilst having a bit of fun.

Other minor inconveniences are the door bins aren’t lit up and the cup holders are a bit small. None of this stops me thoroughly loving my car. Apart from my polo bluegt a few years back my wife and I have owned nine VWs with no real issues, just minor niggles.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Not ruling out another VW, but even if I decided to stick with an ICE engine car next time, DSG is most definitely out. :lol:
Jerky mess of a gearbox that hasn't progressed at all since the last one I had in 2005.
My 2020 Gti has the mooing brakes in reverse, getting louder all the time (I just avoid it by flying out of my drive in reverse faster than I would in another car).
The knocking tailgate has been a pain, but (touches wood) fixed now.
99% certain I'll be going back to an EV though, the past 2 years in an ICE have been a step back I constantly kick myself for. :(
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

johnparker wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:17 pm I have a 2018 1.0 tsi SE in reef blue. When I bought it new it was a toss up between it and a mini cooper. I also intend to keep this car a long time and have owned many new VWs. Somehow the mini didn't seem worth the money even though it was probably a lot more fun to own. I also have no intention of buying an electric car at this stage as much as I like the id3. I think the price is ridiculous and I guess will not hold its value as the technology may become outdated very quickly as things move on.
Is it fair to criticise the price of ID3 when comparing to a Polo, when it's a lot bigger?
Besides, only a fool (IMO) would buy an electric car for the reasons you've given - easier to PCP/Lease and just keep up with the tech.
Although the ID3 would probably be good enough for most people for their entire driving life, really.
The PCP rates are decent and PCP rates on most EVs are now competitive with their ICE competitors, especially when less fuel and running costs are thrown in.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

I got a 1.0 115bhp DSG SEL I’ve had it from new in October 2019. Up to now I have had no problems at all with 11,000 miles on the clock, I get around 60MPG on a run it’s smooth and quiet.

I did add a few optional extras like LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control, reversing camera, folding wing mirrors and the digital dashboard so I got the car more a less how I want it.

I do intend keep it long term why electric cars improve a bit more and be more affordable and the infrastructure improves bit more.