The Harlequin has returned

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Re: The Harlequin has returned

Post by Simonz »

I think i have only ever seen one original Harlequin mid 90's Polo a long while ago. Not sure the theme suits the current shape, also being a wrap would it be durable long term? If it reaches the UK guaranteed to be a rare sight.

Agree it would be a change for some more bold colours, recently it's been all grey, silver, white. Ten years ago bright yellow was popular, lots of Corsa Special Editions. Green is also rare, although Mercedes do the A class in a lovely metallic deep green, takes me back to the 1970's in an instant.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Simonz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am I think i have only ever seen one original Harlequin mid 90's Polo a long while ago. Not sure the theme suits the current shape, also being a wrap would it be durable long term? If it reaches the UK guaranteed to be a rare sight.

Agree it would be a change for some more bold colours, recently it's been all grey, silver, white. Ten years ago bright yellow was popular, lots of Corsa Special Editions. Green is also rare, although Mercedes do the A class in a lovely metallic deep green, takes me back to the 1970's in an instant.
I missed reference to the current Harlequin being a vinyl wrap - well spotted! Durability might be affected, but I dare say there are different grades of vinyl wrap, in which case, it would depend on the grade / quality of vinyl wrap used. The vulnerable areas (e.g. forward facing panels such as the bonnet and front bumper) will no doubt still be vulnerable to stone chips, irrespective of the grade of vinyl wrap used.

I wonder what the vehicle colour is shown as on the V5 registration document for a Harlequin model?
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 am
Simonz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am I think i have only ever seen one original Harlequin mid 90's Polo a long while ago. Not sure the theme suits the current shape, also being a wrap would it be durable long term? If it reaches the UK guaranteed to be a rare sight.

I missed reference to the current Harlequin being a vinyl wrap - well spotted! Durability might be affected, but I dare say there are different grades of vinyl wrap, in which case, it would depend on the grade / quality of vinyl wrap used. The vulnerable areas (e.g. forward facing panels such as the bonnet and front bumper) will no doubt still be vulnerable to stone chips, irrespective of the grade of vinyl wrap used.

I wonder what the vehicle colour is shown as on the V5 registration document for a Harlequin model?
Nice comment re the V5 - take your pick! Suppose it might be the dominant base colour, I assume they paint it in something then certain panels get wrapped. I think on the photo the rear quarter and lower panels are in the base coat it's just easy to do panels get the wrap. Hideous never mind, can't see it being popular at all. Gives you a headache and makes the car shape difficult to understand.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Can you put 'multicoloured' in on the V5 I wonder? :lol:
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

vc-10 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 pm Can you put 'multicoloured' in on the V5 I wonder? :lol:
Curiosity got the better of me. I found one from a Google search and checked to see how it’s described on the GOV.UK VED checker, which presumably uses the V5 data for car make and colour. It does indeed display the colour as ‘Multi-colour’ 😀.
98463D30-D9A1-4638-B278-1BD2EE1CF205.jpeg
98463D30-D9A1-4638-B278-1BD2EE1CF205.jpeg (27 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I too missed the fact it's a wrap.
That would put me off, I wanted to get the wife's Evoque roof wrapped black but they said it's really not good if you intend to use an automatic carwash.
Which I do, regularly, my days of only hand washing cars are loooooong gone.