Polo 110 R DSG - Navigation not active.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Wakatuki
New
Drives: Polo 110 R DSG

Polo 110 R DSG - Navigation not active.

Post by Wakatuki »

Hi everyone, the wife is a new Polo owner and I'm not sure if we are being led up the path by the car supplier.
We have a 2021 POLO R DSG - Options included Bonneville Alloys, Paint, Black pack and heated seats.
SHORT VERSION: Should this car have navigation pre-installed, a lot of reviews reads NAV in SEL and above. The brochure says Function on demand: Navigation system "Discover Media" incl. Streaming & Internet. I cant work out from that if that includes navigation or not, but navigation system seems a big clue.

The demo vehicle (115 R DSG) we used had VW navigation active when I pressed the NAV button on the media unit. When I asked I was told the car was standard . As the dealer did not have and was unable to quickly supply a heated seat model we ordered a non local car through a broker in the specifications we wanted but I was aware it was a 110.
The car was delivered and due to work has sat for a week, after setting up all the integral sim, connect etc this weekend I could not get the NAV button to do anything. The speak button said I could buy from store - this was ok and I was expecting that, couldn't get a price to show up though. I called the broker tonight and they told me everybody uses the CarPlay and not to worry about it. I told them about the brochure but they couldn't answer so I await a call back.
Should I have NAV or not?

Many thanks for reading, I've been lurking for a long time before purchase.
Planned MODS are LED headlights, Dash Cam and heated washer jets if possible,
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Polo 110 R DSG - Navigation not active.

Post by lancslad1985 »

The SEL and the United come with sat nav as standard. Even though the R line is above the SEL, it doesn’t come with sat nav as standard. Neither do the Gti specs.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Yeah as lancslad has said, the R doesn't come with Navigation as standard, the reason it has the NAV button on the head unit is probably because it's available as an option, same as the Voice control button.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Wakatuki; you’ve described your car as an ‘R’ model, so I’m assuming it’s the R-Line as there is no Polo R.

The R-Line model does not have sat nav as standard - it’s a £485 factory option; be aware that it’s not unusual for a car salesperson to not know what the standard spec is of the cars they’re selling - I’ve had a salesperson try to sell me options in the past that are part of a car’s standard spec.

I’ve never had VW sat nav in any of the five VW’s I’ve owned. From what I’ve read on different forums, Google Maps and Waze are as good - if not better - and with google Maps and Waze, you don’t have to manually update the sat nav map data as you do with the factory fitted sat nav option. Also some owners seem to have issues updating maps (takes forever, crashes, update fails to load etc.), although not all owners have update issues.

You’ve said that your car’s infotainment screen has a ‘Nav’ button which does suggest you have the Discover Media Navigation system in your car, rather than the standard Composition Media infotainment system. I’m not sure as I’ve never had VW sat nav, but with VW’s Discover Media Navigation system, I think map data is stored on an SD card which slots into the ‘brains’ of the infotainment unit in the glovebox. It sounds as if you might not have the SD card that should have been supplied with your car - that’s assuming you have the optional Discover Media system and not the standard Composition Media system; something to check out with your dealer.
Wakatuki
New
Drives: Polo 110 R DSG

Post by Wakatuki »

Many thanks all...well at £495 it can stay off!
Yes and to clarify R-Line....

So confused with the poor specs on UK models after being in Aus.

Thanks again, I’ll be hanging around a while :D
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I think with 'Function on Demand' you can activate the nav later. Basically means the GPS antenna is there, but the nav function is only activated by purchasing it later. In the new Golf, there's an 'in car store' function through the infotainment system where you can buy extras. I know the old A3 had a similar situation, but where you would buy the navigation SD card from the dealer.
stew2410
New
Drives: R-Line 2020

Post by stew2410 »

I bought an R-Line last September and the sat nav had been added in by the dealer. I think I was ripped off as mine cost £685. I have queried this with the dealer as the VW website clearly states £485 but the dealer says the prices go up and down. I think for a short time VW were even giving sat nav as free on the R-Line.
SRGTD wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm The R-Line model does not have sat nav as standard - it’s a £485 factory option; be aware that it’s not unusual for a car salesperson to not know what the standard spec is of the cars they’re selling - I’ve had a salesperson try to sell me options in the past that are part of a car’s standard spec.
Totally agree with that. My sales guy tried to flog me car mats for £80 even though the R-Line includes its own branded set.
vc-10 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm I think with 'Function on Demand' you can activate the nav later.
I got totally confused with the options on the sat nav in the end. One option was "Function on Demand". Another was "Discover Navigation". I think yet another option was "Guide and Inform".

All in all though really loving the car. I went from an old banger so driving a new polo is like a space ship lol. My only annoyance is that my old Clio did at least 72mpg which I appreciate I can only dream of now.

Oh and I've had the squeaky wiper issue which I solved with the Bosch set. Like others have said in different threads why make a car costing around £20k to spoil it with cheap factory wipers.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

stew2410 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 pm I bought an R-Line last September and the sat nav had been added in by the dealer. I think I was ripped off as mine cost £685. I have queried this with the dealer as the VW website clearly states £485 but the dealer says the prices go up and down. I think for a short time VW were even giving sat nav as free on the R-Line.
SRGTD wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm The R-Line model does not have sat nav as standard - it’s a £485 factory option; be aware that it’s not unusual for a car salesperson to not know what the standard spec is of the cars they’re selling - I’ve had a salesperson try to sell me options in the past that are part of a car’s standard spec.
Totally agree with that. My sales guy tried to flog me car mats for £80 even though the R-Line includes its own branded set.
vc-10 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm I think with 'Function on Demand' you can activate the nav later.
I got totally confused with the options on the sat nav in the end. One option was "Function on Demand". Another was "Discover Navigation". I think yet another option was "Guide and Inform".

All in all though really loving the car. I went from an old banger so driving a new polo is like a space ship lol. My only annoyance is that my old Clio did at least 72mpg which I appreciate I can only dream of now.

Oh and I've had the squeaky wiper issue which I solved with the Bosch set. Like others have said in different threads why make a car costing around £20k to spoil it with cheap factory wipers.
Like you I have changed the wipers also but with Valeo Silencio as I had these on my last car and they were still excellant after 4 years. If anyone is interested got them from carparts4less.co.uk for £17 as you get 20% off your first order with them.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stew2410 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 pm I bought an R-Line last September and the sat nav had been added in by the dealer. I think I was ripped off as mine cost £685. I have queried this with the dealer as the VW website clearly states £485 but the dealer says the prices go up and down. I think for a short time VW were even giving sat nav as free on the R-Line.
It cost more to retro-add Car Net App Connect on the previous generation Polo than it did if it was specified by the first owner when they ordered the car new. As a factory option the cost was £100. To activate it at a later date on a compatible MIB infotainment unit, the cost was in the region of £240-£250. So it doesn’t really surprise me if you were charged £685 by the dealer to activate sat nav.