Polo GTi Engine modifications

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Polo GTi Engine modifications

Post by Iamnotbarry »

I've had my polo gti+ for just over a year now and i am thinking of doing some modifications to the engine.
just wanted to know if anyone has modded their polo and what mods have been done?
only thing I've changed so far is the air filter, swapped it for a racingline foam filter.

mods i am thinking of doing are;
replacing the turbo inlet elbow
replace the turbo muffler with a turbo muffler delete
replace the filter/air induction with either a leyo air duction kit, or the racingline R600 kit.
replace the intercooler with the wagner intercooler.
exhaust system possibly milltek

looking for suggestions for companies that do ECU remaps if anyone knows of any? currently looking at the APR stage 1.

Any recommendations or advice is much appreciated
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Re: Polo GTi Engine modifications

Post by Rosinfield »

I am very happy with the Milltek non resonated catback. Nice dark humming and in S pops & bangs. Mine is without OPF though. This engine is more limited as far as tuning the engine goes. I know of a Kodiaq with the same engine that has been remapped to 307 Hp, while the goal was much higher. The only modifications that added a little were another downpipe and air intake. I don't think it makes much sense to make other justifications because of the limited remap potential of this engine
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I have done a Milltek OPF back non-res exhaust and it has improved the sound if the car, it isn't drastic but it definitely sounds much better. I think my next performance mod will be a Milltek high flow cat and opf delete as well as a stage 1 ecu tune.

I know that a tune alone can take the car to around 260hp which is 30% increase (stage 1). With a Wagner intercooler I have seen people go up to around 310hp (stage 2), and then if you are really brave you could replace the stock turbo with an IS38 turbo and I have seen people go 400hp+ (stage 3) with that.

In my honest opinion I personally wouldn't go over around 280hp especially in a fwd car where the traction control is limited and the differential isn't good enough to put that power down so the it won't be usable power and you'll be lighting up the front wheels. Hence why the higher power Golf GTI TCR has an imrpoved differential and the Golf R has an awd haldex system to deal with the power.
Iamnotbarry
New

Post by Iamnotbarry »

im guessing you have voided the warranty on the car as soon as you mod it as well?

i have been in touch with a few tuning garages and they all say they can remap the ecu to get around 230-240 bhp.
also been in touch with racingline and they say they expect to have a ecu stage 1 remap ready by late spring early summer, so i am tempted to wait to see what they can deliver.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

I’m hoping to go stage 1 soon, will probably stick to Racing Line for most of it as all the Golf GTI 7 modifications videos reckon they are a step above a lot of the other makes, so my plan will be:

Mainly for the noises😂
*RL turbo muffler delete
*RL Turbo Elbow
*RL Silicone Hose
*RL cold intake(when it’s released)
*RL Remap(when it’s released)

Not fussed about exhaust at the moment as quite happy with the sound but will eventually go Miltek or Remus(albeit the resonated version)

RL are developing lowering springs-15mm so wouldn’t mine those. Would be hoping for 250bhp.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Iamnotbarry wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 pm im guessing you have voided the warranty on the car as soon as you mod it as well?

i have been in touch with a few tuning garages and they all say they can remap the ecu to get around 230-240 bhp.
also been in touch with racingline and they say they expect to have a ecu stage 1 remap ready by late spring early summer, so i am tempted to wait to see what they can deliver.
Once you remap the ecu you warranty is voided, if you're lucky and have an issue the VW techs may not check but I definitely wouldn't bank on that. If you are someone who relies on warranty or wants to keep your warranty then I would suggest not tuning the engine or waiting till the warranty period is over.

I believe you can still get away with exhausts and other mods. I have asked my local dealer and they told me an exhaust wouldn't void warranty unless an issue is causes by the exhaust but I have seen others have their warranty voided because they installed 25mm lowering springs. It can be a bit of a mine field sometimes, all depends on what you want from the car and how much you care for warranty.

From my previous experiences with VW warranty isn't worth much as the majority of the time they fob you off unless you can prove it's a real problem and VW are liable to sort the problem.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Warranty is compromised for mods that could affect the failed component or system - Get a remap and the turbo goes? Turbo not covered if the dealership uncover evidence of a remap.

Remap and your virtual cockpit screen fails? Your virtual cockpit is still covered.

Its a risk - how risk averse are you to potentially be looking at an £8k engine replacement bill should the worst happen? Highly unlikely, but possible. I'd wait a year before considering remapping- anything major with an obvious manufacturing defect should fail on its own by then. On my 12 VAG cars I've had 2 turbo failures - both actuator failure and both happening within 6 months/6k miles.
Iamnotbarry
New

Post by Iamnotbarry »

ive had my car 13 months now and i have clocked up 9500 miles in it, the only issues ive had with the car are the squealing noise in reverse, which was "fixed" by the VW dealership but it returned not long afterwards, and the time and trip counter resets to zero randomly, vw dealership said they have logged the issue and are awaiting an update for this. both these issues are minor inconveniences to me.

@theracingrat - I agree with the racingline products. im lead to believe the R600 intake system will fit the polo gti as well.
vs_gti
New
Drives: Gti +

Post by vs_gti »

So im currently running a full stage 2 setup. I have the Wagner Intercooler, Forge turbo elbow, MST Intake with the silicone hose and a custom decat downpipe (opf delete too). Im pushing 270bhp and 470nm. Can happily say I enjoy the car much more now. I always thought the car was good from stock but found it struggling after around 5k rpms. One thing i wished it from had from stock was more noise, had a res delete etc and it still wasn't good enough. I will say there is a big difference between stage 1 and stage 2. You do get more wheel spin due to the extra torque but its much more enjoyable and not hard to control either. Drove it in the snow and had no issues. Now when i kick down it properly throws me back and flys, and with all the added noise, dsg bangs and the pops and bangs map i also had done, I feel the car is perfect. Going to change the spark plugs soon to the ngk racing ones which should increase the performance figures slightly.
Iamnotbarry
New

Post by Iamnotbarry »

vs_gti wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 am So im currently running a full stage 2 setup. I have the Wagner Intercooler, Forge turbo elbow, MST Intake with the silicone hose and a custom decat downpipe (opf delete too). Im pushing 270bhp and 470nm. Can happily say I enjoy the car much more now. I always thought the car was good from stock but found it struggling after around 5k rpms. One thing i wished it from had from stock was more noise, had a res delete etc and it still wasn't good enough. I will say there is a big difference between stage 1 and stage 2. You do get more wheel spin due to the extra torque but its much more enjoyable and not hard to control either. Drove it in the snow and had no issues. Now when i kick down it properly throws me back and flys, and with all the added noise, dsg bangs and the pops and bangs map i also had done, I feel the car is perfect. Going to change the spark plugs soon to the ngk racing ones which should increase the performance figures slightly.
sounds like a little rocket! you wouldnt know what the difference is between the MST intake and the racingline r600 intake would you regarding power gains? i understand the noise will be greater with the MST one, but what about power gains?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Interesting stuff
I'm not really looking for more power, but the meaningful power band is quite narrow and it would be nice to do something with that.
It isn't keen on revving out and the change to the next gear can have you dropping into a bit of a flat zone.
And, of course, with DSG you can't give it a quick dab of the clutch to get the revs up into the meaty zone again.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:34 pm Interesting stuff
I'm not really looking for more power, but the meaningful power band is quite narrow and it would be nice to do something with that.
It isn't keen on revving out and the change to the next gear can have you dropping into a bit of a flat zone.
And, of course, with DSG you can't give it a quick dab of the clutch to get the revs up into the meaty zone again.
Exactly, this car really needs a chip because of that. The difference is rather spectacular. With a stage 1 remap it keeps on going way longer. The rather dissapointing 100-200 km/h time improved substantially
vs_gti
New

Post by vs_gti »

Iamnotbarry wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:43 pm
vs_gti wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 am So im currently running a full stage 2 setup. I have the Wagner Intercooler, Forge turbo elbow, MST Intake with the silicone hose and a custom decat downpipe (opf delete too). Im pushing 270bhp and 470nm. Can happily say I enjoy the car much more now. I always thought the car was good from stock but found it struggling after around 5k rpms. One thing i wished it from had from stock was more noise, had a res delete etc and it still wasn't good enough. I will say there is a big difference between stage 1 and stage 2. You do get more wheel spin due to the extra torque but its much more enjoyable and not hard to control either. Drove it in the snow and had no issues. Now when i kick down it properly throws me back and flys, and with all the added noise, dsg bangs and the pops and bangs map i also had done, I feel the car is perfect. Going to change the spark plugs soon to the ngk racing ones which should increase the performance figures slightly.
sounds like a little rocket! you wouldnt know what the difference is between the MST intake and the racingline r600 intake would you regarding power gains? i understand the noise will be greater with the MST one, but what about power gains?

Not too sure about the power gains, tbh im not sure if the r600 will fit, yet to see someone have it fitted. I imagine it might require abit of cutting and a squeeze like the ramair one. Let me know how it goes!
vs_gti
New

Post by vs_gti »

I wasnt looking for more power either but after the mapping, im glad i got it done. I noticed when the car was stock, just after the 1st and 2nd gear, it was like the car got stuck for a second before upshifting, was quite annoying. Have a look at a stage 1 map and go from there, wouldnt recommend a tdi tuning box either
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

vs_gti wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:58 pm
I wasnt looking for more power either but after the mapping, im glad i got it done. I noticed when the car was stock, just after the 1st and 2nd gear, it was like the car got stuck for a second before upshifting, was quite annoying. Have a look at a stage 1 map and go from there, wouldnt recommend a tdi tuning box either
Did you ever try a TDITuning box? Had one on my 2013 Golf GTD and it was awful, sent it back and got a DTUK box which was much better, like stock +30%. If I were to get a tuning box going forward, it would almost certainly be a Burgersports JB4.