Idle Revs

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Simmo
New
Drives: 1.0 (95bhp) SE

Idle Revs

Post by Simmo »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice or guidance on what the idle revs should be on a 2019 1.0 TSI petrol Polo, three cylinder?

I’m sure the idle was somewhere around 800 rpm when I bought the car new. Recently the car must have gone through a particulate filter regen (just done around 5,000 miles of pretty much short journeys <10 miles per journey), as the revs popped up to 1,400 on idle and there was a very slight smell through the heater when the car got warm.

I think the regen must be over as the revs have dropped but to 1,000 rpm (once warm and no load on the engine i.e. heater off etc).

I’ve looked through the owners manual but can’t find a spec on what the idle should be, any help you can give me would be gratefully appreciated.

All the best,

Simmo
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: Idle Revs

Post by vc-10 »

Mine's the 115PS version, with a GPF but before the latest changes. Normally idles at about 800, but has been idling higher at startup when cold, normally about the 1,000 mark. When new it idled higher too, more like 1,200.
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

My 95ps idles at 850 to 900rpm, but I've noticed if I'm sat and the clutch pedal is a fraction off the floor it will idle between 950 and 1000rpm.

I've thought it may be something to do with the 'hill holder' function as the revs drop off to normal idle instantly if the pedal is pushed down the last fraction.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

Mine normally sits at 800rpm but it can behave oddly in traffic, has a mind of it's own. Noticed if you are sat in a line of traffic in neutral with engine running, as you select a gear the revs increase slightly by magic. There is also an electrical energy saving feature, it slows down the speed of the wipers and the heater fan - you notice it when it returns to full speed. It seems normal to me so long as it doesn't start stalling. A great little engine, rarely need to rev it past 4000 rpm to make progress.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Simonz wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:50 pm Noticed if you are sat in a line of traffic in neutral with engine running, as you select a gear the revs increase slightly by magic.
Quite a few manual cars do this, I can only guess it's some kind of anti-stall thing.
Our daughter has only just passed her test, her and her friends have all been taught to get the clutch to biting point without any throttle applied at all - none.
If it weren't for the car automatically increasing revs when a gear is selected, they'd stall even more than they do already.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Just started having similar happen to me..

Had a lot of short journeys past few months and now idle is 1200rpm

I'm going too take long run and see if it makes a difference.

Can't say i have noticed any hot smell or higher fuel consumption.

The normal idle has always been 1000rpm since buying this Polo 30 months ago. Not sure if this is normal for the 1.0 TSi.. can you assist the idle speed yourself anyway? The service dept never commented on it during the last two services.. Though I'm not convinced they'd care anyway.