Intermittent issue polo GTI plus

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Intermittent issue polo GTI plus

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:57 am
West Riding Limited wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:38 pm Didn't feel any loss of power, but when I got to work MPG was 26 as opposed to an expected 40+.
Seems back to normal coming home.
My commute is 16 miles on a mix of roads so I use a mix of driving styles once the engine has warmed up,
40+ MPG, mixed driving...?
Lucky if I got that in my 95bhp, never mind the Gti. :shock:
Genuine question, do you live in one of those flat counties in England where you can see for miles and miles?
They're a bit alien to us Scots, but obvious why they'd be beneficial to MPG
Length of journey is as important. I'd be surprised if you got 20mpg doing your 3 mile commute at high speed (with a cold engine). 15 mile journey should give you 40mpg without driving like a nun, in the Summer at least). Used to get very high 30s on my 13 mile commute in the last job. On my (once a week) 31 mile each way commute I can get 42mpg in the wife's GTI+ doing 80 down the uncluttered A19, 46mpg between Newcastle and York (52mpg if I stick to 70).
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am
Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:59 am Are GPFs under the same MOT scrutiny as DPFs?
Removal is a no-no these days, although leaving them in and gutting the internals is still unlikely to be discovered.
Don't know what an RW test is.
I think they are subject to the same scrutiny. I dare say that if you’re using a GPF-equipped car on public roads in the UK, removal of the GPF might also invalidate your insurance if you’re unlucky enough to be involved in an accident, the insurance company inspects your car and discovers the GPF or its internals have been removed.

I’d hazard a guess that an RW test is a road worthiness test - the equivalent of the UK’s MOT.
They are subject to the same scrutiny, and unlike DPFs there was no grace period (you could remove a DPF legitimately until 2013). Not sure if they're wise to drilling through though.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

fazzy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:10 pm There is only one solution: Remove the GPF, remove software in the ECU - hassles and problems with GPF are gone. Keep the GPF in the garage, install before the sale or RW test.
Result: more power, better response, better sound and no regens.

..and illegal in the U.K.
West Riding Limited
New
Drives: GTI

Post by West Riding Limited »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:57 am
West Riding Limited wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:38 pm Didn't feel any loss of power, but when I got to work MPG was 26 as opposed to an expected 40+.
Seems back to normal coming home.
My commute is 16 miles on a mix of roads so I use a mix of driving styles once the engine has warmed up,
40+ MPG, mixed driving...?
Lucky if I got that in my 95bhp, never mind the Gti. :shock:
Genuine question, do you live in one of those flat counties in England where you can see for miles and miles?
They're a bit alien to us Scots, but obvious why they'd be beneficial to MPG
No I'm a Yorkshireman where it is somewhat lumpy. However I work shifts and when on earlies, as on this day, I tend just to bimble into work on near deserted urban roads, and get 40+ (best has been 47). Wouldn't do to get there too early.
Funnily enough when coming home I have more of an urge to put my foot down, speed cameras permitting, so my current overall average mpg is 37 which I'm content with. None of us have bought a GTI to worry too much about fuel economy, although Yorkshire tightness dies hard of course :)
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

TheRacingRat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:07 pm
fazzy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:10 pm There is only one solution: Remove the GPF, remove software in the ECU - hassles and problems with GPF are gone. Keep the GPF in the garage, install before the sale or RW test.
Result: more power, better response, better sound and no regens.

..and illegal in the U.K.
Don't care :lol:
johnw1952
New
Drives: GTI+ 2019

Post by johnw1952 »

Many thanks for the information in this stream. I have suffered exactly the same issues with my 2019 GTI+ with no resolution despite repeated diagnostics checks and dialogue with VW. I find it surprising and mainly disappointing that VW was unable to diagnose the problem and advise me on how to avoid or rectify the problem, particularly since the issue is clearly well known and with exactly the same symptoms. Thanks again - going for a blast (if there's any petrol left).
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnw1952 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:09 pm Many thanks for the information in this stream. I have suffered exactly the same issues with my 2019 GTI+ with no resolution despite repeated diagnostics checks and dialogue with VW. I find it surprising and mainly disappointing that VW was unable to diagnose the problem and advise me on how to avoid or rectify the problem, particularly since the issue is clearly well known and with exactly the same symptoms. Thanks again - going for a blast (if there's any petrol left).
I’m assuming the issue you refer to relates to your car performing GPF regenerations. Your GTI+ is equipped with a GPF, so what you’re experiencing is normal rather than a problem / issue; when the soot levels in the GPF reach a certain predetermined level the car will perform a regeneration to burn off the soot. You’ve not said what type of journeys you normally drive in your car, but if you’re doing mainly short journeys on a cold engine, then you’re likely to experience more frequent (active) regenerations than someone driving mainly longer journeys with an engine that’s regularly up to normal operating temperatures.

If on a longer journey you drop down to 4th gear, accelerate to 65-70 mph and then back off the accelerator, the resultant engine braking will draw air into the exhaust and GPF, and the oxygen in the air will help to burn off the soot in the GPF. I do this a few times in succession on a longer journey probably once every couple of weeks when the engine’s up to optimum operating temperature, and in just over a year of ownership of my GTI+ I’ve been aware of no more than a couple of active GPF regenerations.