AW POLO REAR DRUMBRAKE TO CALIPER

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CxL
New
Drives: AW 1.0tsi 2018

AW POLO REAR DRUMBRAKE TO CALIPER

Post by CxL »

Hi, I’ve got a 2018 polo and I want to swap my rear drumbrakes to calipers. I’m struggling to find much on this car. Any help or advice would be great, thank you!
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Re: AW POLO REAR DRUMBRAKE TO CALIPER

Post by Iamnotbarry »

POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Iamnotbarry wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 pm something like this?
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/ ... Brake+Kits
I'd imagine these will be fine as a front brake upgrade (as long as you also have 17" wheels), but I'm not sure if it's a suitable kit to replace the rear drum brakes.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Personally I think that rear drum brakes are horrible, especially if you do your maintenance, with that in mind I deliberately avoided buying Polos for my wife that came with rear drum brakes from factory, that plan works better than swopping hubs etc over.

Remember to let your insurer know about this modification.

Have you looked back through what is involved in doing this on earlier and much earlier Polo/Ibiza/Fabia as nothing much moves quickly design wise in this area on VW Group cars.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think rear discs are a pain and are often just fitted for fashion (people want to see discs through their alloys - they feel 'cheated' by drums) :(
There's no need for them, they contribute very little to the braking, and because of this the calipers tend to seize.
I've lost count of the number of times I've seen people have to replace rear discs before front ones, due to disc damage from seized calipers.
The relative lack of maintenance of drums is a positive boon.
Our daughter's Mii has only just needed some maintenance to the rear drums at 58000 miles, guaranteed she'd have been through at least one set of discs (and therefore pads) by now - possibly more.