Speed

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jab123
New
Drives: Mk6 gti

Speed

Post by Jab123 »

Might be a daft question but what’s the speed limit of a polo gti aw, couldn’t get passed 125 in drive, do the different modes make a difference as I thought the limit was around 140????
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Re: Speed

Post by Teee »

I’ve had 137 on the autobahn of course, I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think drive mode will effect the top end, it may effect how quick you get your top end on but again not 100% on that, maybe someone else knows. my car kept pulling to 137 then seemed to Plateau from there, if I kept on it probably would have done 145 but much slower then it would from 120 to 135 if that makes sense. Oh and top speed is meant to be 147mph according to official figures, I feel like that is achievable if you have a good stretch of road with decent conditions etc.
Jab123
New

Post by Jab123 »

Mine was doing the same but at 125. Didn’t think the modes changed anything just thought it was a bit odd will give it another go tomorrow
Teee
Bronze Member

Post by Teee »

What’s the mileage on your car?
Jab123
New

Post by Jab123 »

Just under 15000
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I've done 131 on a straight in Mexico in sport mode but left in drive, still had more to it, but had to slow down.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I regularly get more than that, uphill too.
I'm at approx 5000 miles.
I'm usually in ECO mode as I find it the most pleasant for general driving, and it doesn't affect things if you floor it.
Teee
Bronze Member

Post by Teee »

Jab123 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm Just under 15000

Reason I asked was if your cars relatively new (below 1000 miles) it might have a restrictor for top end to avoid premature engine issues, not 100% sure on that though. But 14/15 k you should be good to go with no issues.
Last edited by Teee on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teee
Bronze Member

Post by Teee »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 am I regularly get more than that, uphill too.
I'm at approx 5000 miles.
I'm usually in ECO mode as I find it the most pleasant for general driving, and it doesn't affect things if you floor it.
I find eco mode nice to drive in if your trying to have a relaxing time etc but the kick down is much slower then the other 2 modes but that’s expected. what I don’t like is if you’re approaching a junction/ roundabout and it goes into the eco/ Neutral (coasting) mode as you take your foot of the gas, I find best way to over come this is to drop gears with the pedals, I prefer engine braking as you have more control over the car rather the being in a higher gear or coasting in neutral round a roundabout.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Teee wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 pm I find eco mode nice to drive in if your trying to have a relaxing time etc but the kick down is much slower then the other 2 modes but that’s expected. what I don’t like is if you’re approaching a junction/ roundabout and it goes into the eco/ Neutral (coasting) mode as you take your foot of the gas, I find best way to over come this is to drop gears with the pedals, I prefer engine braking as you have more control over the car rather the being in a higher gear or coasting in neutral round a roundabout.
That's precisely what I do like, I can't be bothered with the jerkiness of the down-changes in any other mode.
Especially the one at around 12mph, it's just awful.
If I want engine braking, I'll use the paddles.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

From my experience leaving the car in normal mode makes for smoother driving and never had a "jerky" DSG issue. I also like to use the engine to brake the car and guess it comes down to different driving styles?
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:22 pm From my experience leaving the car in normal mode makes for smoother driving and never had a "jerky" DSG issue. I also like to use the engine to brake the car and guess it comes down to different driving styles?
The car is jerky, when you come to a stop, you can feel the engine braking and DSG down shifting from say 3rd,2nd , 1st.
You will notice your passenger heads nod forward gently.

You don’t feel this sensation on a conventional 8 speed automatic car. BMW etc

My family complains a lot about this.feels like I am pressing to hard on the brake pedal when coming to a stop.

That’s just how DSG gearbox’s are in the Polo GTI, not sure how they are in other VAG cars.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

green justin wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:18 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:22 pm From my experience leaving the car in normal mode makes for smoother driving and never had a "jerky" DSG issue. I also like to use the engine to brake the car and guess it comes down to different driving styles?
The car is jerky, when you come to a stop, you can feel the engine braking and DSG down shifting from say 3rd,2nd , 1st.

My family complains a lot about this.feels like I am pressing to hard on the brake pedal when coming to a stop.

That’s just how DSG gearbox’s are in the Polo GTI, not sure how they are in other VAG cars.
Yup, it can be difficult to modulate your braking in normal mode, that last jerky gearchange at around 12mph can make the final halt a bit hit or miss.
You learn to reduce your brake pressure to compensate for it.
Or, like I do, you use ECO and then it's much smoother.
All DSG are the same, I first had it in 2005 in an Audi A3 S-line, although they didn't have different driving modes to smooth things out.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:45 pm
green justin wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Yup, it can be difficult to modulate your braking in normal mode, that last jerky gearchange at around 12mph can make the final halt a bit hit or miss.
You learn to reduce your brake pressure to compensate for it.
Or, like I do, you use ECO and then it's much smoother.
All DSG are the same, I first had it in 2005 in an Audi A3 S-line, although they didn't have different driving modes to smooth things out.
I am trying to master that, but I always find the DSG is never slowing down, it always has some sort of speed which forces you to apply more brake pressure to come to a halt.
The brakes are overly sensitive at slow speeds.

When I drove my friends F30 320i M Sport, I was surprised how smooth the brake feel was and the gear changes.
There was no forward or backward inertia that passengers experienced compared to the Polo GTI.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

green justin wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm There was no forward or backward inertia that passengers experienced compared to the Polo GTI.
Yeah, I've often said DSG can be like someone driving a manual, but with poor clutch control.
There's little to no 'damping' of the gearchanges.
Put it this way, a limousine driver wouldn't choose DSG. :D