Stage 2 on a 1.0 tsi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Stage 2 on a 1.0 tsi

Post by monkeyhanger »

Jay11 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:02 pm
Simonz wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 pm Will the cooling system be up to the extra heat and need upgrading as well?
The custom intercooler and intake system would also have all the connecting pipes custom fabricated to work together for better/cooler airflow, I was under the assumption that this would be sufficient - are there other factors that I should be looking at?
I think you'll be needing a bigger intercooler - it's needed for a Polo GTI upping it's stock power by 35%, you're going way higher than that.

There's no way this all can be cost effective pushing a 1.0 engine to 170ps :shock: with (at a rough minimum guess) £4k hardware replacement costs (turbo, maybe injectors, brakes, fuel pump exhaust system, remap, intercooler , then being held to ransom by your insurance company.

All this is better than buying a GTI+ with everything suitable for its output, ACC standard fit to help with insurance premiums, despite the higher output, and a fully functioning warranty.

You'll get a fraction of that money back if you return to stock to sell it, or you'll be left with a car no-one will touch with a barge pole. The GTI+ is far better equipped as standard, with a sporty interior you'll probably want to replicate at even more expense, and residuals are noticeably better. The GTI+ will cost more than your car, but probably less than your car and all its mods, will be worth more when you sell it.

If you go to 170ps you'll need to go to RON99 all the time because you won't be able to inject enough RON95 to develop170ps without it pinking.

Seems like cost is way outweighing the benefit.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm I’m assuming that the original factory standard suspension set up on your car was quite soft with a fair degree of body roll if pushed reasonably hard through corners. If you’re planning on going stage 2 with around 160-170 bhp, maybe it would be appropriate to consider upgrading the suspension to keep body roll in check. However, as you’ve already made suspension mods, maybe that won’t be necessary.
It's something I've noticed about the Gti, that it doesn't appear to have any stiffer springs/damping than my 1.0Tsi Beats did.
There's really no noticeable difference in body control under heavy cornering or heavy braking.
Maybe the standard Polos are set up quite stiff as is it, as the Beats didn't display excessive dive on the brakes or body roll in cornering.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:58 am
SRGTD wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:05 pm I’m assuming that the original factory standard suspension set up on your car was quite soft with a fair degree of body roll if pushed reasonably hard through corners. If you’re planning on going stage 2 with around 160-170 bhp, maybe it would be appropriate to consider upgrading the suspension to keep body roll in check. However, as you’ve already made suspension mods, maybe that won’t be necessary.
It's something I've noticed about the Gti, that it doesn't appear to have any stiffer springs/damping than my 1.0Tsi Beats did.
There's really no noticeable difference in body control under heavy cornering or heavy braking.
Maybe the standard Polos are set up quite stiff as is it, as the Beats didn't display excessive dive on the brakes or body roll in cornering.
The GTI (and +) have 2 stage damping. If you're in normal or Eco mode, the dampers are softer than in Sport mode. I have everything set to Sport within individual mode except dampers and engine noise. Sport mode suspension is noticeably (but not hugely) firmer.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:19 pm The GTI (and +) have 2 stage damping. If you're in normal or Eco mode, the dampers are softer than in Sport mode. I have everything set to Sport within individual mode except dampers and engine noise. Sport mode suspension is noticeably (but not hugely) firmer.
Yup, aware of that.
So I would say ECO or normal doesn't seem to be any stiffer than a normal Polo, really.
And it's not as if the car is a wobbly mess, the body is very well controlled, so it's not a criticism at all.
I did try sport once, but it just seemed a bit too silly and I didn't bother again.
Like you'd given an already excitable kid some fanta.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:19 pm The GTI (and +) have 2 stage damping. If you're in normal or Eco mode, the dampers are softer than in Sport mode. I have everything set to Sport within individual mode except dampers and engine noise. Sport mode suspension is noticeably (but not hugely) firmer.
Yup, aware of that.
So I would say ECO or normal doesn't seem to be any stiffer than a normal Polo, really.
And it's not as if the car is a wobbly mess, the body is very well controlled, so it's not a criticism at all.
I did try sport once, but it just seemed a bit too silly and I didn't bother again.
Like you'd given an already excitable kid some fanta.
It's possible for suspension to be stiff and comfortable- takes some better components and set up though.

Not sure how they managed it, but my Golf R had lower suspension than either the GTD or GTI (10mm lower?), and it was on the optional 19" Pretoria wheels, yet it was significsntly better over imperfections and minor potholes than a mate's GTI on the standard 18" wheels - seemed to float over them rather than crash into them.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:53 pm It's possible for suspension to be stiff and comfortable- takes some better components and set up though.

Not sure how they managed it, but my Golf R had lower suspension than either the GTD or GTI (10mm lower?), and it was on the optional 19" Pretoria wheels, yet it was significsntly better over imperfections and minor potholes than a mate's GTI on the standard 18" wheels - seemed to float over them rather than crash into them.
Yup, it's all about high and low speed damping etc.
High speed deals with how the shock reacts to bumps, low speed deals with body control.
Audi are (or were) bad for getting them wrong on the S-lines, so the body wasn't very well controlled but they crashed over bumps at the same time.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Good example of getting it wrong is the S3 - essentially the same car as the Golf R, but totally different ride - very hard and crashy. My A4 S-line on 19s is fine - probably seen as hard by people used to a soft ride, but fine if you're used to typical hot hatch settings (which my A4 clearly isn't)
Jurki
New
Drives: 2018 1.0 TSI 95hp

Post by Jurki »

Have you already done all the upgrades ?
Im looking to go through the same path with my 95hp 2018 model. So far Ive only remaped with APR and now Im at 135hp. Looking to get me a custom intercooler, racingline cold air intake, change the muffler for a sportier one, eibach springs, ps4michelins and probably be looking at 155hp or so. Also I have the automatic gearbox and would love to tune my dsg too but cant finder a tuner to do that. Any advice for me, anything else I should be considering ?
Aliston4069
New
Drives: 1.0 tsi MK5 2017

Post by Aliston4069 »

Hii which aftermarket intercooler you are using? I have polo 1.0 gt tsi MK5 6R 2017