DSG Issues

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

DSG Issues

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I'm currently getting an issue where I slow down at a roundabout for example, in manual mode, from 3rd to 2nd and the car just runs away with itself. It has happened twice now and it is quite dangerous. I shift down and the car accelerates. I have also had an issue where i've come out to an open clear road and floored it from 2nd and the car maintains 2500rpm but still accelerates no matter the throttle position or gear selected. It takes a good kicking to get it to go back to normal, acts almost like a cv gearbox.

Has anyone else had this issue? The car is in for a service next week so i'll get them to take a look and see what their uneducated opinion is on it.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: DSG Issues

Post by Andy Beats »

Only in manual mode?
So unlikely to be a throttle position sensor problem then
Weird (and scary when you've got no clutch)
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:46 pm I'm currently getting an issue where I slow down at a roundabout for example, in manual mode, from 3rd to 2nd and the car just runs away with itself. It has happened twice now and it is quite dangerous. I shift down and the car accelerates. I have also had an issue where i've come out to an open clear road and floored it from 2nd and the car maintains 2500rpm but still accelerates no matter the throttle position or gear selected. It takes a good kicking to get it to go back to normal, acts almost like a cv gearbox.

Has anyone else had this issue? The car is in for a service next week so i'll get them to take a look and see what their uneducated opinion is on it.
I never own a car with DSG or any automatic gearbox, but my parent could be buying a DSG Polo (AW) in the future.

So, for interest sake, I want to ask:
If you use the gear selector and put it in " N ", will the car keep accelerating no matter what the throttle position is ?

Thanks.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

ho8882000 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:00 pm
I never own a car with DSG or any automatic gearbox, but my parent could be buying a DSG Polo (AW) in the future.

If you use the gear selector and put it in " N ", will the car keep accelerating no matter what the throttle position is ?

Thanks.
What happens if you put a manual car in neutral?
It's the same.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

ho8882000 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:00 pm I never own a car with DSG or any automatic gearbox, but my parent could be buying a DSG Polo (AW) in the future.

Thanks.
If you accelerate for example to 20mph and knock the shifter from D to N it coasts like it would in a manual on the clutch. If you are stationary in N and on a flat surface and take your foot off the brake the car won't move. Works exactly the same as a manual except no clutch pedal.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:06 pm
ho8882000 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:00 pm I never own a car with DSG or any automatic gearbox, but my parent could be buying a DSG Polo (AW) in the future.

Thanks.
If you accelerate for example to 20mph and knock the shifter from D to N it coasts like it would in a manual on the clutch. If you are stationary in N and on a flat surface and take your foot off the brake the car won't move. Works exactly the same as a manual except no clutch pedal.
Thanks for the explanation.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 pm
ho8882000 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks.
What happens if you put a manual car in neutral?
It's the same.
Thanks.