Gti plus tint

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jab123
New
Drives: Mk6 gti

Gti plus tint

Post by Jab123 »

Looking at getting windows tinted soon. What tints are already on the gti plus and is there a tint already on the front 3 windows, thinking of just getting 70% as that’s the legal limit but not sure whats already on the front 3
Thanks
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Re: Gti plus tint

Post by PO10ASH »

Most cars have tinted front windows from factory, if you look at your front window vs the front side, you'll see they're "slightly" tinted. I always get the ratio of tints mixed up, but basically it's not the limo black dark in the rear, they're like 65%.

Below is an example of front side window tints, I haven't gotten the front windowscreen tinted, as I'm unsure how much unwanted attention it'll draw.
Attachments
Front Window Tints
Front Window Tints
image1.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Front Window Tints - Clean
Front Window Tints - Clean
image0.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

The rule on tints for modern cars in the UK is the front windscreen must let at least 75% of the light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of the light through according to various window tinting sites. However, gov.uk states 70% for both front windscreen and front side windows.

I had a mate that exceeded this and got pulled by the police (no sympathy I did warn him). They gave him a warning to remove them but he thought best and ended up getting a fine. Up to you if you want to chance it and depends how observant police are in your area or if you’re driving like a loon and get pulled. Tinting front windows for me is just asking to get pulled over but that’s my personal opinion.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:38 am The rule on tints for modern cars in the UK is the front windscreen must let at least 75% of the light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of the light through according to various window tinting sites. However, gov.uk states 70% for both front windscreen and front side windows.

I had a mate that exceeded this and got pulled by the police (no sympathy I did warn him). They gave him a warning to remove them but he thought best and ended up getting a fine. Up to you if you want to chance it and depends how observant police are in your area or if you’re driving like a loon and get pulled. Tinting front windows for me is just asking to get pulled over but that’s my personal opinion.
Agree; it’s not worth taking the risk getting stopped by the police for illegally tinted windows. If the police issue a fixed penalty notice, it means a fine and points on licence.

Also, any tints on the front side windows and windscreen that exceed what’s legally permitted could have car insurance implications - i.e. an insurer could void the policy, leaving the person committing the offence uninsured which is a criminal offence. Anyone having committed a criminal offence could also find it affects their ability to get affordable insurance cover in future as criminal offences need to be declared when applying for insurance.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Am I the only one that thinks tints on the front windows don't work....? :?
B-pillar back and rear for me only, thanks....
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:03 am Am I the only one that thinks tints on the front windows don't work....? :?
I agree. For the 3 days the sun is out, I want to see it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:49 am
Andy Beats wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:03 am Am I the only one that thinks tints on the front windows don't work....? :?
I agree. For the 3 days the sun is out, I want to see it.
Me too 🙂.