This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm chopping in my A4 that's hardly getting any use (and DPF regenning half the time) for...an ID3!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Post by Andy Beats »

Welcome to EV world!
We were following an ID4 yesterday and already pretty much decided that will replace the wife's Evoque in 3 years.
Mind you, might be something else out by then.
For me, I reckon I'll be back in an EV maybe middle of next year, undecided what, but quite happy to go back into a Leaf (64KWh version).
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Perhaps as it’s taken Andy’s 12 hours to respond to your post is an indication of how shocked / surprised he was at your decision 😅.

Interesting choice of replacement for the A4 Avant. I seem to remember your main reason for swapping your GTI+ for the Audi was the need for more space to carry 4 passengers, a labrador sized dog and luggage, although if you’re not using it, then getting rid seems a sensible thing to do. The ID.3 looks quite a bit smaller than an Audi Avant, and not that much larger than that a Polo, but maybe the ID.3 is tardis-like inside.

Which model of ID.3 are you getting and what colour is it? I’m really intrigued to know what the purpose is of the raised gloss black panel between the bonnet and windscreen, which IMHO looks a little odd and spoils the looks of the car, and I’m not too sure on the minimalist interior. That’s just my opinion though.
CA1177C4-67E4-49AD-A77E-D6AE0A2D40A3.jpeg
CA1177C4-67E4-49AD-A77E-D6AE0A2D40A3.jpeg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Looking forward to hearing what life is like with an all electric car.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am Perhaps as it’s taken Andy’s 12 hours to respond to your post is an indication of how shocked / surprised he was at your decision 😅.
I don't look at the site in my own time.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Are VW chucking a charger in on the deal?
My podpoint was free with the Leaf, I had to pay £90 to upgrade to the 7KW version.
I'll undoubtedly have to get the plug end changed for whatever I get next, even Nissan changed from type 1 to type 2 when the Leaf was updated.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy:

No free charger - it'll cost me about £500 after the £350 grant. Getting an Ohme 7.2kWh and switching to Octopus GO.

For me, the EV was only viable as a localish car, with home charging - no savings to be made paying 40p+ per kWh out and about.

There were some good savings lately, the dealership giving you some of their margin as well as the grant and deposit contribution, making the EV choice a lot more reasonable.

Managed to beat the supplying dealership for my Polo down to almost £500.less than the Drivethedeal price - £27416 (inclusive of grant and deposit contribution - take finance and settle within 14 days). That's cheaper than a Golf GTD with Drivethedeal. On those terms, EVs start to make sense. Assuming a Conservative 110% of GFV (£17k) in 3 years time for p/x, private sale, the car will cost me about £290.a month in depreciation.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am Perhaps as it’s taken Andy’s 12 hours to respond to your post is an indication of how shocked / surprised he was at your decision 😅.

Interesting choice of replacement for the A4 Avant. I seem to remember your main reason for swapping your GTI+ for the Audi was the need for more space to carry 4 passengers, a labrador sized dog and luggage, although if you’re not using it, then getting rid seems a sensible thing to do. The ID.3 looks quite a bit smaller than an Audi Avant, and not that much larger than that a Polo, but maybe the ID.3 is tardis-like inside.

Which model of ID.3 are you getting and what colour is it? I’m really intrigued to know what the purpose is of the raised gloss black panel between the bonnet and windscreen, which IMHO looks a little odd and spoils the looks of the car, and I’m not too sure on the minimalist interior. That’s just my opinion though.

CA1177C4-67E4-49AD-A77E-D6AE0A2D40A3.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing what life is like with an all electric car.
Interesting choice, but it is a tardis - same size as a Golf, but with a shorter bonnet and wheels stuck far in the corners, it's got the same legroom than a Passat and a Passat is marginally bigger than an A4. The boot's a whole 6L bigger than a Golf, enough room to stick the dog in for the beach (parcel shelf removed) or for luggage, but not both at the same time.

It's a Life Pro Performance 204ps/150kW in Glacier White metallic and East Derry alloys (Steel wheels are standard). The seats and door cards are nothing to write home about from looks, but it's pretty well equipped as standard: Nav, heated steering wheel, heated seats, ACC, lane assist, aircon, auto lights/wipers dimming rear view mirror and the lights are LED all round, voice recognition, gesture control, electric folding mirrors, keyless start (not keyless entry- which I find flaky on the Polo) wireless phone charging, 10 colour ambient lights, a light in the strop between dash and windscreen that indicates all sorts life indicating a junction direction when sat navving, indicating ACC feedback, acknowledging a voice control etc.

It's finally an EV at equivalent ICE (Golf) prices with the discount I got.

It looks more like a Golf sized Up than anything else. No idea of the purpose of the black bit at the top of the bonnet.

We only need 2 cars 1 day a week, so basically the wife will have the ID3 for her commute, we'll both use it outside work hours and for my 62 Mile commute once a week, and long journeys, we'll use the Polo. The Polo is going to be a very long term keeper if I don't decide to buy a banger or a motorbike for my commute and pocket the £16k it's probably worth right now.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

When i was looking at the ID3, the PCP was £350.00 a month
Moot point as there weren't any left (First edition models).
No clue what the latest deals are, although I'd guess they're better than this now as the ID4 isn't much more than that at some places.
As I'm a low mileage driver though, happy to go with a Leaf or whatever is offered in the £250-£300 month bracket when I change.
I don't need the extra range of the 64kwh Leaf, but I like the sound of the +200bhp compared with the 150bhp of the 40kwh model.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

So I'm assuming you've actually driven it?
And were evidently pleasantly surprised by the experience.

Told you. :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:59 pm So I'm assuming you've actually driven it?
And were evidently pleasantly surprised by the experience.

Told you. :D
Haven't driven it (COVID stopping test drives), but eliminating the long pick-up time of the 7 speed DSG in the A4 will be welcome. My biggest worry is how comfy those seats are. Been assured by EV forum members that ghey're very comfy. I've never been fussy with seats, needing lumbar support etc so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Not the first time I've blind bought a VW - got my MK7 Golf GTD on order before the demos were out.

They were giving away first edition models in Nov to try and prevent a big fleet CO2 fine. You're probably talking close to £500pm right now without a broker sized discount.

My finance example is £217 a month over 36 months with a max deposit of £6999 and that whopping discount - almost £2600 of the dealership's own margin after grant and deposit contribution.

So, take my £217, add about £200pm in lieu of my huge deposit (it's about £190, but I'm adding some on for extra PCP interest if you're not putting up that deposit), and you're up to £417pm with my discount, about £435 with DTD discount and about £515 with no discount.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm sure you'll love it, they just drive like a very quiet auto.
The instant responsiveness can catch people with heavy feet out and many recommend the likes of the Leaf is driven in ECO mode to compensate.
But I've never found it an issue, I bloody love the responsiveness. 8)
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

Wow, bought a car you haven’t driven.
That’s absolutely crazy.
I thought the A4 was the bee’s knee’s anyway.
I dread to think what you spend on new cars!!!!
The way I read it is your long posts here are trying to convince yourself you have done the right thing.
I’m not convinced of your own convincing myself.
VW of late are pretty dire, and the proof in the pudding is the mess they made of the software on the ID3.
The 2.1 software update was/is a joke and is still an unfolding debacle.
Good luck is all I can say.
I hope they have comfortable seats at your local VW dealership as I suspect you will be sitting in them a lot.
This whole EV thing is too new in the hands of VW for any of my money yet, it’s only for the brave.
It’s looks like the ID4 is suffering the same issues as well, so not unique to the ID3....
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Polo monster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:17 pm Wow, bought a car you haven’t driven.
That’s absolutely crazy.
I also bought my current car (Polo GTI+) without test driving one first. It’s also the first car I’ve owned with DSG, so you could say it was a bit of a leap of faith to switch to DSG and in a car I’d not driven. Having said that, I have had DSG courtesy cars before which was a bit like a DSG extended test drive, and I’d also driven a current shape Polo before.

I dare say my next car will be an EV. However, that’s a few years away (probably 4+ years) and by that time I’d envisage EV and battery technology will have moved on, and the infrastructure to support EV ownership will be better than it is currently.

Not just VW, but VAG in general do seem to be having quite a few software issues at the moment - based on ownership experiences I’ve read about on other forums I visit regularly, the mk8 Golf and Seat Leon seem to be suffering from a number of software gremlins, so no doubt Audi’s A3+ and Skoda’s Octavia are too. It’s issues such as this that deter me from being an early adopter of a new model - not just a new VW but any new car; I’m not willing to be an unpaid product tester of a car manufacturer’s new products and discover faults and niggles that - in the main - should’ve been picked up during pre-production testing and rectified prior to the product going on sale to the general public.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

I’ll certainly consider an EV in future.

Hybrids simply seem to be the worst of both worlds. No thank you to lugging 1/4 ton of battery & motor around on a minuscule petrol engine.

At present, I can’t see an EV coming in cheaper than a lowish spec petrol engined machine.

I read a lot of folk claiming “it doesn’t cost me anything”. Or, my Hybrid does 150 mpg.
b****x!
What’s this 40p per unit in the public charging points?

But I’m confused by all the numbers quoted above.

Online I’ve seen some horrendous costs.

For me, it always has to be annualised, so let’s not disguise things with huge deposits to achieve “low” monthly payments.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Boxerboy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:59 am I’ll certainly consider an EV in future.

Hybrids simply seem to be the worst of both worlds. No thank you to lugging 1/4 ton of battery & motor around on a minuscule petrol engine.

At present, I can’t see an EV coming in cheaper than a lowish spec petrol engined machine.

I read a lot of folk claiming “it doesn’t cost me anything”. Or, my Hybrid does 150 mpg.
b****x!
What’s this 40p per unit in the public charging points?

But I’m confused by all the numbers quoted above.

Online I’ve seen some horrendous costs.

For me, it always has to be annualised, so let’s not disguise things with huge deposits to achieve “low” monthly payments.
Public charging is free in Scotland.
You're right that hybrids are a complete waste of time.
Plug in hybrids have a place for people with peculiar needs not yet served by full EVs
We've already decided the Evoque will be replaced with an ID4 in 3 years (not allowing for something else coming out that catches our eye).
Looks like I'll need to get a podpoint installed at the other side of the (double) garage too.