This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Post by vc-10 »

Boxerboy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:59 am What’s this 40p per unit in the public charging points?
Most of the public chargers are about that for rapid charge use- but these aren't what you're using regularly. It's no different to the price of petrol in your local Tesco being a lot less than the price at a motorway services.

The average home tariff is something like 16.5p per kWh, and many people with EVs are on variable rate tariffs (think Economy 7 style). Octopus do a tariff where it drops to 5p per kWh from about midnight to 4am or something like that, which with programmed charging, will put a lot of miles onto your car for very little. An ID.3 would get almost a 50% charge in 4 hours on a home wallbox at 7kW, putting in 28 kW (Most ID.3s have a 58kWh usable pack, the Tour model though has 77kWh).
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Polo monster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:17 pm Wow, bought a car you haven’t driven.
That’s absolutely crazy.
I thought the A4 was the bee’s knee’s anyway.
I dread to think what you spend on new cars!!!!
The way I read it is your long posts here are trying to convince yourself you have done the right thing.
I’m not convinced of your own convincing myself.
VW of late are pretty dire, and the proof in the pudding is the mess they made of the software on the ID3.
The 2.1 software update was/is a joke and is still an unfolding debacle.
Good luck is all I can say.
I hope they have comfortable seats at your local VW dealership as I suspect you will be sitting in them a lot.
This whole EV thing is too new in the hands of VW for any of my money yet, it’s only for the brave.
It’s looks like the ID4 is suffering the same issues as well, so not unique to the ID3....
This will be my 12th VW, so I pretty much know what I'm getting into from a general sense. I've bought 2 VWs blind before, my 2013 MK7 Golf GTD and my 2018 Polo GTI+.

The A4 was fine, it just wasn't getting enough use or enough 15+ mile journeys to stop it spending half it's time regenning the DPF. The missus wouldn't drive it because it was too big. The aim is that the missus uses the ID3 to commute, we use it for all our leisure miles within a 200 mile round trip, and for long journeys and my once a week commute, I'll use the Polo GTI+. I've been in the Polo quite a bit over the last week, forgotten what a fun car it can be next to the plush but dull to drive A4.

2.1 is the latest software iteration that has seemingly fixed all the bugs. It was the first iteration that was terrible, with 2.0 a hell of a lot better. Looking on the EV forums, everyone seems happy with 2.1. My ID3 should come with 2.1 and not require update.

Long posts are just me being a detailed person.

VW customer service is crap and has been for a good 8 years, but I do really like their cars and have never really been interested in Japanese/Korean cars. The ID3 ticks so many boxes - big interior in a Golf sized car, a real 180 (Winter) to 240 mile (Summer range), good expected residuals to mitigate purchase price, well equipped with tech.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:48 am
Boxerboy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:59 am I’ll certainly consider an EV in future.

Hybrids simply seem to be the worst of both worlds. No thank you to lugging 1/4 ton of battery & motor around on a minuscule petrol engine.

At present, I can’t see an EV coming in cheaper than a lowish spec petrol engined machine.

I read a lot of folk claiming “it doesn’t cost me anything”. Or, my Hybrid does 150 mpg.
b****x!
What’s this 40p per unit in the public charging points?

But I’m confused by all the numbers quoted above.

Online I’ve seen some horrendous costs.

For me, it always has to be annualised, so let’s not disguise things with huge deposits to achieve “low” monthly payments.
Public charging is free in Scotland.
You're right that hybrids are a complete waste of time.
Plug in hybrids have a place for people with peculiar needs not yet served by full EVs
We've already decided the Evoque will be replaced with an ID4 in 3 years (not allowing for something else coming out that catches our eye).
Looks like I'll need to get a podpoint installed at the other side of the (double) garage too.
Is there any point in having 2 chargers? You can't pull 2 lots of 7.2kWh (30A each) from one domestic 100A installation - well officially you can, but if you were charging both at the same time, cooking your dinner in an electric oven pulling 40A and doing a few other things you could easily overload it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Boxerboy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:59 am I’ll certainly consider an EV in future.

Hybrids simply seem to be the worst of both worlds. No thank you to lugging 1/4 ton of battery & motor around on a minuscule petrol engine.

At present, I can’t see an EV coming in cheaper than a lowish spec petrol engined machine.

I read a lot of folk claiming “it doesn’t cost me anything”. Or, my Hybrid does 150 mpg.
b****x!
What’s this 40p per unit in the public charging points?

But I’m confused by all the numbers quoted above.

Online I’ve seen some horrendous costs.

For me, it always has to be annualised, so let’s not disguise things with huge deposits to achieve “low” monthly payments.
40p a unit is the going rate for 1 kWh of charge at a rapid charger out and about, giving you fuelling costs on par with a 55mpg diesel (10p a mile). If you make a habit of using those with an EV, you'll save nowt in fuel. If you do all your charging at home on the standard rate, you end up with costs of 3-4p a mile, if you have a smart meter (I need to get one of those requested as soon as my Octopus switch completes tomorrow), you're talking about 1.5p a mile
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 am Is there any point in having 2 chargers? You can't pull 2 lots of 7.2kWh (30A each) from one domestic 100A installation - well officially you can, but if you were charging both at the same time, cooking your dinner in an electric oven pulling 40A and doing a few other things you could easily overload it.
Feasible we could make do with one, I could always use the Chademo chargers near my work and charge for free while the missus uses the home charger.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Out of nosiness, what cables does the ID3 come with?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm Out of nosiness, what cables does the ID3 come with?
7.2kW lead. If you want a granny charging 3 pin plug it'll cost £180 from VW.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:40 pm 7.2kW lead. If you want a granny charging 3 pin plug it'll cost £180 from VW.
Can't think why anyone would, really.
I was lucky to get a granny lead with my Leaf, but only used it at work a few times when the MD wasn't around to see my car parked directly underneath an open window. :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Ha, 'arguments' have started in our house about charging already, and we're three years away from getting her an EV :D
Our podpoint is in the garage, I wanted it protected from the weather, prying eyes and clumsy people walking into it.
I then cut a check in the garage door surround to feed the cable through, I didn't want the plug outside in a holster either (same reasons as above).
Now she's all "I'm not feeding the cable through that bit in the door every time" etc.etc. blablabla....
:roll: :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Looks like VW are looking to make more ID3s get under the grant threshold with new trims, a smaller battery (45kWh)with the lowest current motor output (150ps)

City Pure Performance - £28,370 - 217 miles WLTP
Style Pure Performance - £32,470 - 215 miles WLTP

Those prices are after the reduction of the grant, probably a late reaction to the grant threshold introduction made almost a month ago. With deposit contribution and a broker sized discount, it might be possible to get an entry level one for under £25k.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm Looks like VW are looking to make more ID3s get under the grant threshold with new trims, a smaller battery (45kWh)with the lowest current motor output (150ps)

City Pure Performance - £28,370 - 217 miles WLTP
Style Pure Performance - £32,470 - 215 miles WLTP

Those prices are after the reduction of the grant, probably a late reaction to the grant threshold introduction made almost a month ago. With deposit contribution and a broker sized discount, it might be possible to get an entry level one for under £25k.
Saw that, be interesting to see what PCP/Lease deals will be like.
Small battery not a problem for me, although the 150PS would be.
Still drawn to the 60KWH Leaf purely for the +200bhp
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We got our Ohme charger fitted today for our forthcoming VW ID3 (stuck at Emden 5 weeks now) and it was a disaster. The fitters put in my Ohme charging point by the electric meter on the outside of the garage at the back of our house, then tested the earthing points, and there the issues started.

Earth resistance reading is too high, so we had to call out Northern Electric. Guy comes checks the meter end, it's solid, so there must be a weakness in the connection from the street's supply - they'll have to dig up the path in the street to sort it (happening Monday apparently).

Meter guy has also checked the earthing strap at the gas meter (in a box outside the front of our house) and discovered a small gas leak at the meter. So gas board come out, cap off the supply and my utilities supplier (Octopus) send out someone to fit a new meter (he's fitting it now), but he has informed me he's not a gas safe engineer so won't uncap the supply after fitting the meter. I need a gas safe engineer to give my boiler and hob the once over before uncapping the supply...at my expense. FFS.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Persuaded the gas board to reinstate my gas flow FOC. Just wondering what tomorrow will bing with Northern Electric apparently digging up the path outside our back gates to sort the earthing resistance.

With non-essential retail opening again, I visited the local dealership to see and sit in an ID3 for the first time - just to assure myself that I haven't made a terrible mistake on the dimensions...

Is boot big enough for the Labrador? Check! Seems much bigger than a Golf's, even though it's officially 6L bigger.

How's the legroom behind the driver's seat in my preferred driving position? As big as the A4. The Polo GTI has 6" between back of the front seat and front of the back seat, ID3 has 11".

It looks a lot bigger than a Golf externally despite only being 20mm wider, 10mm shorter and 170mm taller (must be the height that's making it look huge.

Moonstone Grey was the colour - far better in the flesh as the free non metallic colour than I could've imagined.

Interior plastics aren't as cheap as I'd been led to believe. They're softer than the Polo's, with a semi soft feel somewhere between a MK7 Golf and the Polo's (expecting the MK8 Golf to have same plastics).

Lots of piano black trim on all 4 doors cards around grab handles and window switches. Could be scratched to hell in no time if the kids aren't careful with the back seats. Someone has successfully wrapped his on one of the forums.
20210418_143636.jpg
20210418_143636.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1278 times
Attachments
20210418_143544.jpg
20210418_143544.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1276 times
20210418_143552.jpg
20210418_143552.jpg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 1278 times
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@monkeyhanger; it’s always good to have an opportunity to try a car for size, even if you don’t get an opportunity to drive it.

On the subject of boot space - I always take the official boot capacity figures with a pinch of salt. The shape of the boot space, and whether or not I can I fit in the types of things I need to carry is more important to me than out and out cubic capacity. 6 litres larger than a Golf doesn’t sound much, but if the ID.3’s boot is a more practical shape than a Golf’s, then that extra 6 litres probably makes quite a bit of difference.

VW seem to have made some interesting colour choices for the interior of the ID.3. I quite like the splash of orange in the picture below, but for a daily driver, an off white steering wheel and door pulls seems a strange colour choice for some of the most used touch points in a car’s interior. The interior colour of the ID.3 at your local dealer’s seems a more practical, sensible choice.
9671C006-C31E-48D9-A058-F20F62B8601A.jpeg
9671C006-C31E-48D9-A058-F20F62B8601A.jpeg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
Hope your earthing resistance issue gets sorted.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:08 pm @monkeyhanger; it’s always good to have an opportunity to try a car for size, even if you don’t get an opportunity to drive it.

On the subject of boot space - I always take the official boot capacity figures with a pinch of salt. The shape of the boot space, and whether or not I can I fit in the types of things I need to carry is more important to me than out and out cubic capacity. 6 litres larger than a Golf doesn’t sound much, but if the ID.3’s boot is a more practical shape than a Golf’s, then that extra 6 litres probably makes quite a bit of difference.

VW seem to have made some interesting colour choices for the interior of the ID.3. I quite like the splash of orange in the picture below, but for a daily driver, an off white steering wheel and door pulls seems a strange colour choice for some of the most used touch points in a car’s interior. The interior colour of the ID.3 at your local dealer’s seems a more practical, sensible choice.
9671C006-C31E-48D9-A058-F20F62B8601A.jpeg

Hope your earthing resistance issue gets sorted.
The interior of mine will be dark greys - I can't imagine a white leather steering wheel looking tidy for long , especially with a heated steering wheel giving the opportunity for even sweatier hands. Hoping all that stuff is customisable through the profiles - I like a cool car (even in Winter) and the missus is likely to have all forms of heat on. The drivers display has no need for dual dial displays, so the clown face look of the steering wheel is avoided!

Boots are marginally bigger than the official figures because they use standard sized blocks to calculate volume and exclude all those gaps around the sides where you can't get a whole block in.

I think it's definitely the height that makes it feel huge,it feels almost Tiguan-like as the car is sat on that stack of batteries.

The car in the showroom had 19" alloys with the dreaded Bridgestone Turanzas. Mine is coming on 18s - hoping to get lucky and end up with Goodyear.