This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: This'll make Andy's jaw drop...

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:17 am I've maybe asked this before, but does the ID3 have a side charge port?
Saw a photo of the Seat on twitter this AM and it does, which completely rules it out for me.
Stupid stupid idea that panders to ICE owner but is actually a complete PITA.
I'll have to check the ID4 and the new Nissan SUV, see which one of this has a front/rear charge point and whichever one does will be the wife's new car when the Evoque goes.
Both have a side charge port

ID.3

ID.4
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Damn...
Looks like the Nissan Ariya is too, I was hoping bloody Nissan would see sense seeing as the Leaf is a front port. :evil:
What a PITA.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

What's such a PITA about that? Do you have particularly shorttetheredcharger from your Leaf days?

When I had to charge ID3 number 2 on the 275 mile journey home, I parked up at a BP Pulse unit and found the lead to be too short until I parked in the other space dedicated to it (seemed briefly like that Inbetweeners scene where Simon is miles away from the filling nozzle at the petrol station).
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:20 am What's such a PITA about that? Do you have particularly shorttetheredcharger from your Leaf days?
IMO everything about side ports is a PITA.
PITA when you park next to someone with a charger sticking out.
PITA when people walk between cars in car parks.
PITA for people using streetside chargers (would you fancy Joe public walking past your charging port flap as it's open)
PITA when we're in our drive.
There's just not one single plus point for them at all, apart from pandering to ICE owners who crave familiarity.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 am PITA for people using streetside chargers (would you fancy Joe public walking past your charging port flap as it's open)
That’s one that I’d considered as a potential issue, depending on where you live. Maybe I’m over thinking it, but I can envisage scenario in a few years time where street side charging points are the norm (and in relatively plentiful supply for people without driveways) and there multiple cars parked up charging overnight. I wonder how many car charging port flaps will be snapped off by drunken revellers returning home after a Friday / Saturday night out because they see it as a fun thing to do? I hope dealers will have a good supply of replacement charging port flaps in stock - potentially a good source of business for their body shops, fitting and painting replacement flaps too 🤔.

I’m fortunate enough to have a garage and a driveway, and I live in a relatively low crime area, so it probably wouldn’t be an issue for me, but it might be for many who need to use overnight street side charging points in areas with high levels of petty crime.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Even placed at the back or front, you'll have a flap to cover the plug. Presumably VW didn't put a plug behind the front badge as the ACC radar is in there and on the back, you'd have to put it in the bumper rather than the tailgate, which could be a PITA with a minor bump, and not wanting to have to bend right down to plug it in.

Arseholes will be arseholes wherever you go - if there's enough tether length on a kerbside charger, I'd park with the plug flap facing the road rather than the kerb, just put it out of their effortless reach.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I also live in a low crime area, but still don't like the idea of the fact I'm charging being obvious to all and sundry walking past.
But if it's the way it's going to be, guess I'll just have to go with the flow. :(
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Used car prices continue to be nuts. I just get a revaluation for my departed 2019 GTI+ and the Motorway valuation has gone from £17147 2 weeks ago to £17778 today. Madness!
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:24 pm Used car prices continue to be nuts. I just get a revaluation for my departed 2019 GTI+ and the Motorway valuation has gone from £17147 2 weeks ago to £17778 today. Madness!
I keep getting WBAC sending me emails about mine increasing. Had offers from WBAC, and various companies on Motorway for in excess if £18500 for my 2020 GTI+ With 12.5k miles. Absolutely nuts.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Not surprised with the valuations. If you consider that the polo gti wasn’t available for a while, then came back for a few months, then wasn’t available again until very recently, demand outstrips supply. Mine had its first service and the dealer said I was in positive equity after only 10 months as they cannot get hold of a polo gti. I even had a member of the public offer to buy it from me as I got the keys back before driving home.

Will likely go for a bigger car again next time but nice to know it’s holding its value.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:52 pm Not surprised with the valuations. If you consider that the polo gti wasn’t available for a while, then came back for a few months, then wasn’t available again until very recently, demand outstrips supply. Mine had its first service and the dealer said I was in positive equity after only 10 months as they cannot get hold of a polo gti. I even had a member of the public offer to buy it from me as I got the keys back before driving home.

Will likely go for a bigger car again next time but nice to know it’s holding its value.
It's not a Polo GTI thing, it's the same on many ULEV compliant cars due to the worldwide chip shortage.

If I'd have waited 2 weeks, I'd have scored for £600, but would have paid more for the 2nd ID3 with the withdrawal of the offer I got. Swings and roundabouts.

These cars are about +15% overvalued because of the chip shortage. If it wasn't for the current situation, my 2 year old example would've been fetching £15500.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:28 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:52 pm Not surprised with the valuations. If you consider that the polo gti wasn’t available for a while, then came back for a few months, then wasn’t available again until very recently, demand outstrips supply. Mine had its first service and the dealer said I was in positive equity after only 10 months as they cannot get hold of a polo gti. I even had a member of the public offer to buy it from me as I got the keys back before driving home.

It's not a Polo GTI thing, it's the same on many ULEV compliant cars due to the worldwide chip shortage.

If I'd have waited 2 weeks, I'd have scored for £600, but would have paid more for the 2nd ID3 with the withdrawal of the offer I got. Swings and roundabouts.

These cars are about +15% overvalued because of the chip shortage. If it wasn't for the current situation, my 2 year old example would've been fetching £15500.
Yes, high increasing values on other (non Polo GTI) cars are very much in evidence at the moment. Used car values are current discussion topics on golfgtiforum.co.uk and vwroc.com and owners are being offered prices for their cars from the likes of Motorway and WBAC just now that a few months ago would’ve seemed too good to be true. Whether those indicative prices are honoured when the cars are inspected, who knows, but even if they’re reduced by a few hundred pounds, values of late date ULEV complaint cars are only going in one direction at the moment, and that’s up.

I wonder how long it’ll be before the bubble bursts?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

That bubble will burst as soon as the chip supply is no longer affecting new car production.- you'd be nuts to pay prices approaching discounted new car for a 1 or 2 year old example, and when you factor in the dealers margin on top of that Motorway.co.uk price, we're just about there. My (former) 2 year old white GTI+ is up for sale at £19495 by the fella that bought it, that's just £1200 less than I paid for it brand new.

Anyone looking to change soon would be best securing a fixed p/x value now against thir next new car that could be 6 months away from being built. If the bubble bursts in the meantime, you've got your secured p/x value against your new car.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 pm That bubble will burst as soon as the chip supply is no longer affecting new car production.- you'd be nuts to pay prices approaching discounted new car for a 1 or 2 year old example, and when you factor in the dealers margin on top of that Motorway.co.uk price, we're just about there. My (former) 2 year old white GTI+ is up for sale at £19495 by the fella that bought it, that's just £1200 less than I paid for it brand new.

Anyone looking to change soon would be best securing a fixed p/x value now against thir next new car that could be 6 months away from being built. If the bubble bursts in the meantime, you've got your secured p/x value against your new car.
Not including my deposit I will have made money now if I sell my car. Looking into a new Golf R or the Merc A45s since PCP on those are the same or less than a used (decent spec) Mk7.5 R
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:49 pm
Not including my deposit I will have made money now if I sell my car.
That's some proper man maths justification right there! :lol: