1.0 115bhp - Racechip

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

1.0 115bhp - Racechip

Post by Robby71 »

Hi
I've now got a Seat Ibiza FR Sport 115 which is the same engine as the Polo 1.0 115 so hoping for an answer on here.

Has anyone fitted a Racechip GTS to their Polo as i'm looking for a plug and play as i've still got 2 years warranty remaining so don't want to void that.
Racechip claim the following

Vehicle Standard Power - (115Hp/200Kw/85Nm)
Racechip Estimated Power Gains - +35Hp/+26Kw/+60Nm*
Racechip Tuned Power - (150Hp/111Kw/260Nm)*

For around £350 it seems good value but i don't want to ruin the reliability of the engine/ gearbox/ etc
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: 1.0 115bhp - Racechip

Post by monkeyhanger »

If VW find evidence that it's been on, your drivetrain warranty is toast. If nothing in your drivetrain goes pop, there's no reason to dig deep looking for that evidence. The dealerships can't look that deep, but if they plug into VW central and there's a reason to be digging around, they can find evidence of signal modifications to fuel rail and MAF sensors.

The good news is that with 1 year's driving done, there's probably nothing about to fail that would've failed through manufacturing defect anyway (in 12 turboed VAG cars, I've had 2 failed turbos that went within 6 months/5k miles, both actuator failures).

+30% hike in power and torque is a lot, especially when 115ps is a lot for a 1.0 already (yes Ford go a fair bit higher than that but have a high failure rate with those 140ps 1.0s). The gearbox should be fine, they use the 7 speed dry clutch DSG on 150ps 2.0TDIs with around 320Nm.

What's the insurance implications for you with that box? Have you gotten quotes?
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I believe the 1.0 115ps engine is also the one used in the VW UP GTI and I have seen plenty of people modify them including Milltek, a well established brand that give the engine 145ps so if it was me then I wouldn't worry about adding a chip box because the likely hood of the engine failing or becoming damaged is minimum especially if the car is only used on the normal commutes and the occasional fruitful drive.

Also it is a good idea to obtain quotes like @Monkeyhanger mentioned above because if you crash with this on board it will 100% void insurance and you'll be out of pocket my a significant wedge.
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Post by Robby71 »

Well i'm old so insurance isn't a problem
As i'm no boy racer anymore i wouldn't be thrashing the car but i do like some extra power "just in case"

The ebay listing for this box is quoting 35 extra HP and 60Nm which sounds good BUT on the racechip website it's showing a different increase?
https://www.racechip.de/shop/seat/ibiza ... 200nm.html

+19bhp and 60Nm

Bit of a difference from 19 - 35Hp
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I'd go by the websites data and assume a 19hp gain which is still around a 16% increase. Plus with the race chip box they offer warranty on the engine and a free retune if you change vehicle.

If you go and get it tuned else where it'll be a hard tune and you probably won't get warranty.
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Post by LeebzP »

Robby71 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 pm Hi
I've now got a Seat Ibiza FR Sport 115 which is the same engine as the Polo 1.0 115 so hoping for an answer on here.

Has anyone fitted a Racechip GTS to their Polo as i'm looking for a plug and play as i've still got 2 years warranty remaining so don't want to void that.
Racechip claim the following

Vehicle Standard Power - (115Hp/200Kw/85Nm)
Racechip Estimated Power Gains - +35Hp/+26Kw/+60Nm*
Racechip Tuned Power - (150Hp/111Kw/260Nm)*

For around £350 it seems good value but i don't want to ruin the reliability of the engine/ gearbox/ etc
I’m also in a similar scenario. The only difference is that my car is 2 years old and it’s the 70kW/95ps/175nm version of the engine. Racechip offers an additional 21kW/41Nm. Wondering if that would stress my engine out. Not the type of guy who is interested in thrashing their car, mostly need it for that extra “oomph” when overtaking because my commute has got a million annoying slow semi trucks (regret not going for the 85kw version).
J+silva
Bronze Member
Drives: polo conf.

Post by J+silva »

My polo has 95hp i´m loking to racechip to if someone installs the racechip please leave feedback there are those who advise the chip others the remap.