New member saying hey

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Risha_95
New
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 GP//2021 GTI + (SOON)

New member saying hey

Post by Risha_95 »

Hey everyone :)

I've been a lurker on this board for quite some time now and I finally wanted to come out of the shadows so to speak.
I've been driving a 2015 Polo 1.2 TSI GP for 6 years now. Its my first car that was bought for me by my dad. Its served me well but its time for an upgrade mostly because I cant stand how slow it is.
I ordered the 2021 Polo GTI + in January and my sales lady has just confirmed that everything is going smoothly and it should roll off production by end of May. :D Its a long wait but I'm really excited for it. This car is being bought by me so its a little terrifying having to pay for it all myself. I didn't spec it out too wildly and kept it pretty tame. Its deep black pearlescent (always wanted a black car even though I know upkeep will be a nightmare), Brescia wheels, sunroof, sport select suspension, PDC and the active info display. Its sucks that here in SA we have to pay for all the extras that come standard with the "plus "in the UK.
I've been reading the forum a lot to get a feel for the car and its quirks and how everyone feels about it. I think the general consensus is that its a great car. I'm hoping I don't regret this decision.
Any advice for a future owner? :D

Cheers guys!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: New member saying hey

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Hi Risha_95

Firstly, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. No doubt you will receive the MY2021 GTI meaning the badge on the rear will located just below the VW emblem in the centre which I personally cant stand. Should I upgrade next year or the year after it will be on my DELETE list.

The only advice from me is to change the stock Bridgestone tyres (215/40/18) for Michelin PS4's (225/40/18) as they truly transform the vehicle and make for a much better ride. A little expensive but well worth the purchase.

Yeah, black paint on a car is always a difficult to keep clean although if you have the paint "treated" it will probably be a lot easier.

Is'nt it crazy to see how the price jumped from R395000.00 to over R453000.00 in two years, just shows our currency is in the toilet.
Risha_95
New

Post by Risha_95 »

Hey OomStu :)

Thank you for the welcome. I expect nothing less from a fellow Southie :D

I looked at it when I took a test drive and thought I'd like it but the more and more I look at it the more I hate it. It just looks so blown up and out of place. I may just get that deleted as well. it just cheapens the car in my opinion. I also hate the fact that they changed the font. It might be me nitpicking but it really ruins the heritage of the car.

The tires are on my list. My dad also agrees with me and says we should probably sell them and get a better tire so performance and experience isn't ruined. This is my first sports car so I want to leave nothing to chance.

I honestly was shocked when I was researching the car. The introductory price was honestly such a steal. The price now makes me sick because it truly shows how garbage the value of our currency is. The car now is very over priced. Cant sugar coat it but there's also something about it that I cant shake. Test driving it was amazing and that experience sealed the deal for me. It'll also be a nice change from the standard Polo which you know every second person has, especially now since my version has been downgraded to the Vivo. There's not many Polo GTI's in Durban so that's another upside.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

Risha_95 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am Hey everyone :)

I've been a lurker on this board for quite some time now and I finally wanted to come out of the shadows so to speak.
I've been driving a 2015 Polo 1.2 TSI GP for 6 years now. Its my first car that was bought for me by my dad. Its served me well but its time for an upgrade mostly because I cant stand how slow it is.
I ordered the 2021 Polo GTI + in January and my sales lady has just confirmed that everything is going smoothly and it should roll off production by end of May. :D Its a long wait but I'm really excited for it. This car is being bought by me so its a little terrifying having to pay for it all myself. I didn't spec it out too wildly and kept it pretty tame. Its deep black pearlescent (always wanted a black car even though I know upkeep will be a nightmare), Brescia wheels, sunroof, sport select suspension, PDC and the active info display. Its sucks that here in SA we have to pay for all the extras that come standard with the "plus "in the UK.
I've been reading the forum a lot to get a feel for the car and its quirks and how everyone feels about it. I think the general consensus is that its a great car. I'm hoping I don't regret this decision.

Cheers guys!
Hi Risha-95 and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your Polo GTi when you get it as I'm sure you will.
My son has the GTi in red and loves it and has Michelin tyres on it which he rates very much.
I myself have the SEL in deep black pearl and as has been said better to get some treatment applied to the paintwork. A good set of lambswool/ microfibre wash mitts and microfibre towels are a must and I purchased a Worx hydroshot portable power washer so that I can give it a quick snowfoam and rinse in between a thorough wash.
Winter in Scotland with a lot of salt and grit on the roads is not good for normal paintwork and for black is even worse but I love the paintwork when it is cleaned and gleaming in the sunlight. Not that you will have the salt and grit problem in sunny Durban lol, a city I have been to a few times.
Last edited by Noonoo632 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Risha_95 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am Its sucks that here in SA we have to pay for all the extras that come standard with the "plus "in the UK.
Welcome to the forum Risha_95.

It’s true that the GTI plus has a pretty good spec in the UK. However................it’s currently not possible to order a new Polo GTI or GTI+ In the UK, and hasn’t been possible to do so since around May last year. Whether the GTI / GTI+ will reappear in the Polo model range for the UK market when the Polo gets its mid-life facelift (later this year / early next year?) is anyone’s guess. I somehow doubt it will though.

The forum certainly seems quieter this year than it was last year, when there was lots of discussion by members who’d ordered a new GTI / GTI+ and like you, were going through the waiting period from ordering to taking delivery of their cars.

Hope your car is built and delivered on time and lives up to your expectations! 🙂

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=74912&p

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... &sandbox=1
Risha_95
New

Post by Risha_95 »

Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Cheers guys!
Hi Risha-95 and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your Polo GTi when you get it as I'm sure you will.
My son has the GTi in red and loves it and has Michelin tyres on it which he rates very much.
I myself have the SEL in deep black pearl and as has been said better to get some treatment applied to the paintwork. A good set of lambswool/ microfibre wash mitts and microfibre towels are a must and I purchased a Worx hydroshot portable power washer so that I can give it a quick snowfoam and rinse in between a thorough wash.
Winter in Scotland with a lot of salt and grit on the roads is not good for normal paintwork and for black is even worse but I love the paintwork when it is cleaned and gleaming in the sunlight. Not that you will have that problem in sunny Durban lol, a city I have been to a few times.
Hi!

I have already got all my supplies ready for this new addition! All microfiber as I wont take any chances with the classic chamois! My dad who has a performance car has just recently learned the ways of the microfiber cloth :) I'm tempted to get the car detailed the day I pick it up but I may be getting way ahead of myself here out of excitement. I have a white car currently and its a really forgiving colour. I have always taken care of it but I'm sure there are tons of swirls if you look closely as well as chips from general driving. Being a girl people always assume my car wouldn't be taken care of but they're always surprised by how much work I put into maintaining it. I'm really looking forward to having a car that's all mine and I'll be sparing no expense in taking care of it so it looks good for years to come. I will be looking at getting an attachment for the pressure washer but I don't look forward to that since I know my dad will make me look after his car as well.
I'm glad you've been to my city! We're a pretty laid back bunch. Durbanites are 100% not made for the cold. Its slightly cold out today as Autumn has arrived and you'd swear its snowing the way some people are dressed!
Risha_95
New

Post by Risha_95 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm
Risha_95 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am Its sucks that here in SA we have to pay for all the extras that come standard with the "plus "in the UK.

It’s true that the GTI plus has a pretty good spec in the UK. However................it’s currently not possible to order a new Polo GTI or GTI+ In the UK, and hasn’t been possible to do so since around May last year. Whether the GTI / GTI+ will reappear in the Polo model range for the UK market when the Polo gets its mid-life facelift (later this year / early next year?) is anyone’s guess. I somehow doubt it will though.

The forum certainly seems quieter this year than it was last year, when there was lots of discussion by members who’d ordered a new GTI / GTI+ and like you, were going through the waiting period from ordering to taking delivery of their cars.

Hope your car is built and delivered on time and lives up to your expectations! 🙂

Thank you for the welcome! I did read some local news here which said the Polo GTI may be axed in Europe but I hope that's not the case as so many of you guys love it! It is quite quiet this year but I'm chalking that up to the fact that most people have their cars and have abandoned the forum or they've sadly given up due to wait times. My sales lady was very upfront about waiting times going from 3 months to almost 6 months for us local customers. Seeing as I'll be paying myself that was fine for me in order to build up my finances. My dad is only helping me by letting me trade in my 2015 Polo that he bought. I did see some posts about forum members giving up their cars because they didn't live up to expectations. I hope that's not the case. I'm a GTI heritage kid as my dad has had several albeit the Golf version :D The thought of having something exciting as a daily driver is getting me through the waiting period.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm

I think it’s already had some sort of facelift, as there’s a lady at work with a 70 plate polo and the polo badge is under the boot logo. Not been close enough to see if it’s the new Vw logo on the golf but the badge is definitely central. It’s only a match spec looking at the wheels but deffo a different position.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@lancslad1985; yes, placement of the ‘Polo’ badge is now under the tailgate hatch handle, which was part of the 2021 model year changes. The 2021 Polo also has the revised VW emblem (slimmer lettering).

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2017/mod ... polo-range

I think for the mid-life facelift, we’re likely to see revised headlamps, front grille, rear light clusters and bumpers on the exterior. As for the interior - maybe the Polo will get similar buttonless and switchless treatment to the mk8 Golf where most functions are controlled via the infotainment screen or touch pads.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/sp ... ted/49415/
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

Risha_95 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm
Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:17 pm

Cheers guys!
Winter in Scotland with a lot of salt and grit on the roads is not good for normal paintwork and for black is even worse but I love the paintwork when it is cleaned and gleaming in the sunlight. Not that you will have that problem in sunny Durban lol, a city I have been to a few times.
Hi!

I have already got all my supplies ready for this new addition! All microfiber as I wont take any chances with the classic chamois! My dad who has a performance car has just recently learned the ways of the microfiber cloth :) I'm tempted to get the car detailed the day I pick it up but I may be getting way ahead of myself here out of excitement. I have a white car currently and its a really forgiving colour. I have always taken care of it but I'm sure there are tons of swirls if you look closely as well as chips from general driving. Being a girl people always assume my car wouldn't be taken care of but they're always surprised by how much work I put into maintaining it. I'm really looking forward to having a car that's all mine and I'll be sparing no expense in taking care of it so it looks good for years to come. I will be looking at getting an attachment for the pressure washer but I don't look forward to that since I know my dad will make me look after his car as well.
I'm glad you've been to my city! We're a pretty laid back bunch. Durbanites are 100% not made for the cold. Its slightly cold out today as Autumn has arrived and you'd swear its snowing the way some people are dressed!
I am so glad you are someone who looks after their car after all it is an expensive outlay and second most expensive next to a house. It will be much easier in Durban to look after it as you will not have the same problems keeping the car dry where as here the cars are always damp in the long winter's we have.

In Scotland today we are dressed as if it were snowing........because it is.......-1 this morning and now at 7 pm 3° 🤣🤣🤣
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:00 pm @lancslad1985; yes, placement of the ‘Polo’ badge is now under the tailgate hatch handle, which was part of the 2021 model year changes. The 2021 Polo also has the revised VW emblem (slimmer lettering).

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2017/mod ... polo-range

I think for the mid-life facelift, we’re likely to see revised headlamps, front grille, rear light clusters and bumpers on the exterior. As for the interior - maybe the Polo will get similar buttonless and switchless treatment to the mk8 Golf where most functions are controlled via the infotainment screen or touch pads.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/sp ... ted/49415/
@SRGTD I’m hoping they do bring the gti back to the uk in the full facelift. I love mine but being on pcp it will have to go back sometime and I don’t want an electric car, a fiesta st or a stupidly expensive Yaris GR. if they don’t bring it back I’ll be forced into a Ford.....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am @SRGTD I’m hoping they do bring the gti back to the uk in the full facelift. I love mine but being on pcp it will have to go back sometime and I don’t want an electric car, a fiesta st or a stupidly expensive Yaris GR. if they don’t bring it back I’ll be forced into a Ford.....
Wouldn’t you consider buying your existing GTI+ at the end of the PCP term if you like it so much? I know not everyone is in a position to make the balloon payment at the end of the PCP term, but it’s usually possible to get a cheap bank loan.

I suppose if the Polo GTI does make a return, it might do so with a more emissions-friendly hybrid engine. VW sometimes use mid-life facelift time to slot different power plants into their cars to help maintain customer interest, and there’s already a 1.4 petrol engine mated to an electric motor in various VAG models. In the mk8 Golf GTE it produces 245ps with an official CO2 emissions figure of 26 g/km. That would see it through until the end of the current generation Polo’s life - probably the last Polo, given the push for all-electric and the Polo sized ID.2 is due to be with us in a couple of years time.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Possibly, depends on my mileage. I do 15,000 miles a year and I’m currently on for 10,000 with Covid. After four years do I want to buy a car for the final payment at 60,000 miles with no warranty? Have to see at the time.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:40 am Possibly, depends on my mileage. I do 15,000 miles a year and I’m currently on for 10,000 with Covid. After four years do I want to buy a car for the final payment at 60,000 miles with no warranty? Have to see at the time.
My plan is to sell it. I do around 20k a year normally, just under 10k at the moment with covid. Also I don't ever see the current GTI+ being worth under the £7-8k quoted balloon after 4 years so should have a decent chunk for the next car.