Hardwiring Dashcam with Parking Mode

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
DriverofaVWPolo
New
Drives: TSi 1.0 95

Hardwiring Dashcam with Parking Mode

Post by DriverofaVWPolo »

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out what type of fuse piggy backs I will need to install my A129 dashcam. I know that one wire from my hard wire kit needs to be connected to the battery so that the camera stays on while parked and the other wire only needs to be powered while the car is on.

Is there a diagram of the fuse boxes somewhere online or can anyone recommend which 2 fuses I should piggy back of?

Does the Polo use mini fuses like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BeiLan-Standar ... 879&sr=8-6

Or low profile fuses?

Many thanks,

D
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Hardwiring Dashcam with Parking Mode

Post by CarbonChaos »

I think that’s a standard fuse holder you have linked to, it could also be mini or micro fuses depending on the individual fuse .this type of piggy back is exactly what I used on my blackvue dash cam installation ( not in a AW)
As for a wiring diagram some one will have done this and have an answer for you
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have a dashcam set with a switched live and permanent live, I'll take a look when the missus brings the car home. Depending on which switches you tap into, you'll need either the mini or standard piggy back fuse holders, the Polo has plenty of both. I'm pretty sure I went with the full size ones. Most fuses are ignition switched, the permanent ones are in the minority. My permanent live choice was the central locking fuse.

Edit: just found the old thread for fitting dashcam search for "Dashcam cable routing" and towards the bottom of page 1 you'll find my guide with clear photos of fuse box tapping using the standard size fuse holders.
DriverofaVWPolo
New
Drives: TSi 1.0 95

Post by DriverofaVWPolo »

I had seen that post but somehow missed your guide. Thank you so much for that. It is exactly what needed! :D