Polo AW Facelift Teased

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Polo AW Facelift Teased

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 am The blue Polo appears to be an R - that'd be interesting if it was significantly cheaper than the Golf R.
VW confirmed about 2 years ago that there will never be a Polo R due to lack of demand and the costs of manufacturing and selling one would be too high.

On the new Mk8 Golf R-Line cars they no longer have a 'Golf R-Line' badge, just an R badge which has tricked me a few times. Not a fan at all as it seems like an oem up-marketing of a car that just isn't fast like an actual R. I would assume the Polo will get the same treatment.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210421-074325_Auto Trader.jpg
SmartSelect_20210421-074325_Auto Trader.jpg (304.4 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:26 pm Or you have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Not to mention if it’s dark in winter it’s going to be fun trying to press it.
.....what.....?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm If there's no separation between buttons, if you press blindly while keeping an eye on the road, you may not be sure that you pressed the right area of that screen as opposed to a click able button.
I don't see why they wouldn't have good separation on a big screen.
It's not like struggling to push buttons on a tiny Garmin of old.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Nope, I wont be swapping models anytime soon thank you. Tbh I can accept the front end but the rear and interior... what is VW thinking?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:29 pm If there's no separation between buttons, if you press blindly while keeping an eye on the road, you may not be sure that you pressed the right area of that screen as opposed to a click able button.
I don't see why they wouldn't have good separation on a big screen.
It's not like struggling to push buttons on a tiny Garmin of old.
What I mean is, you can't feel any separation on a big flat screen to feel what virtual button you're about to press. You've got to take your eyes off the road to confidently select anything correctly.

That's a backwards step for safety. If you want to minimise buttons, I'm a fan of the toggle dial and back/confirm buttons that Audi and BMW use (although Audi seem to be phasing these out). You get to learn where functions are without taking your eyes off the road.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Autobild have just shared this updated clip on their website with video:

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-polo ... 38345.html

Another update video, this time from Autogefuel on Youtube (in English):
https://youtu.be/Nc2hJ-eEe8w
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I think it looks OK. I wouldn’t be tempted to upgrade to the facelift model though - that’s if the facelift GTI is actually included in the UK model line up.

Interesting that the Autogefühl presenter (Tomaz) commented on the screens without buttons being more difficult to use while driving (he made similar comments in his reviews of the mk8 Golf). He did say the buttonless auto heating and ventilation climate controls are optional - presumably the standard set up is similar to the pre-facelift model.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm I think it looks OK. I wouldn’t be tempted to upgrade to the facelift model though - that’s if the facelift GTI is actually included in the UK model line up.

Interesting that the Autogefühl presenter (Tomaz) commented on the screens without buttons being more difficult to use while driving (he made similar comments in his reviews of the mk8 Golf). He did say the buttonless auto heating and ventilation climate controls are optional - presumably the standard set up is similar to the pre-facelift model.
i like to think of it as Tomaz's little peeves in life :) He is quite vocal about his dislike of buttonless controls / switches (esp. VAG cars), bemoaning the use of real leather and the like.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:08 pm I think it looks OK. I wouldn’t be tempted to upgrade to the facelift model though - that’s if the facelift GTI is actually included in the UK model line up.

Hopefully voice recognition will negate the need to press buttons to get what you want.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

It’s been confirmed during the launch (according to auto car) the gti will reappear early 2022. Some good news then.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am It’s been confirmed during the launch (according to auto car) the gti will reappear early 2022. Some good news then.
I've seen that too but they mention power may be down and it may, although unlikely, run a smaller engine.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:54 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am It’s been confirmed during the launch (according to auto car) the gti will reappear early 2022. Some good news then.
I've seen that too but they mention power may be down and it may, although unlikely, run a smaller engine.
Doubt it'll run a smaller engine - there's only the 1.5COD engine going down that route and they're nowhere near getting even 170ps from it. If they want to reduce its CO2 output they need to ditch the 6 speed DSG and put the wet clutch 7 speed unit in. For its output, the current engine with Budack cycle and Audi valve lift tech on the inlet side is very economical.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:59 pm [quote=Stuart_Rendall post_id=582173 time=<a href="tel:1619092458">1619092458</a> user_id=31803]
[quote=lancslad1985 post_id=582172 time=<a href="tel:1619088331">1619088331</a> user_id=15903]
It’s been confirmed during the launch (according to auto car) the gti will reappear early 2022. Some good news then.
[/quote]

Doubt it'll run a smaller engine - there's only the 1.5COD engine going down that route and they're nowhere near getting even 170ps from it. If they want to reduce its CO2 output they need to ditch the 6 speed DSG and put the wet clutch 7 speed unit in. For its output, the current engine with Budack cycle and Audi valve lift tech on the inlet side is very economical.
[/quote]

I reckon it’ll still be the 2.0L but they’ll detune it further. I may be hanging onto my car for a lot longer than I thought if they do. Nice to see LEDs as standard.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm I reckon it’ll still be the 2.0L but they’ll detune it further. I may be hanging onto my car for a lot longer than I thought if they do. Nice to see LEDs as standard.
I think it will probably be a 2.0L too, don't see any other engines that could work unless they use a detuned Golf GTE engine coupled with a detuned electric motor but it takes away from the whole 'Hot Hatch' thing.

I wouldn't be swapping from my GTI to a facelift anyway. Waste of money in my eyes unless I had this 3-4 years already. Plus i'm not a fan of buying the same car twice. Also don't think i'll buy a VW new or past 2018 model year at all anyway.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

In the German video (link posted earlier) it sounded like the GTI would have 190PS while in Tomaz's video (link also posted earlier) he stated "with over 200PS". Guess we will have to wait and see.