Polo AW Facelift Teased

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Polo AW Facelift Teased

Post by lancslad1985 »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:03 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm I reckon it’ll still be the 2.0L but they’ll detune it further. I may be hanging onto my car for a lot longer than I thought if they do. Nice to see LEDs as standard.
I think it will probably be a 2.0L too, don't see any other engines that could work unless they use a detuned Golf GTE engine coupled with a detuned electric motor but it takes away from the whole 'Hot Hatch' thing.

I wouldn't be swapping from my GTI to a facelift anyway. Waste of money in my eyes unless I had this 3-4 years already. Plus i'm not a fan of buying the same car twice. Also don't think i'll buy a VW new or past 2018 model year at all anyway.
I was thinking more as I get towards end of pcp. Wouldn’t swap my car now as I’ve only had it since august and I absolutely love it. The only gripe I have with it is the cup holders are a bit pathetic compared to my golfs and even my cheaply made troc.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:03 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 pm I reckon it’ll still be the 2.0L but they’ll detune it further. I may be hanging onto my car for a lot longer than I thought if they do. Nice to see LEDs as standard.
I think it will probably be a 2.0L too, don't see any other engines that could work unless they use a detuned Golf GTE engine coupled with a detuned electric motor but it takes away from the whole 'Hot Hatch' thing.
VAG have already done the hybrid thing with in the guise of the Cupra Leon and the Skoda Octavia vRS. There is a hybrid version of each of those models (I think they get the same 1.4 litre petrol mated to an electric motor as that in the Golf GTE). It would be a way for the Polo GTI to meet ever more stringent emissions requirements, and for VW to reduce their emissions fines.
Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:03 pm I wouldn't be swapping from my GTI to a facelift anyway. Waste of money in my eyes unless I had this 3-4 years already. Plus i'm not a fan of buying the same car twice. Also don't think i'll buy a VW new or past 2018 model year at all anyway.
Agree, a waste of money if the sole reason for changing is just to get the latest model. I do tend to be brand loyal (have owned VW’s now for nearly 19 years and have only owned cars from 4 brands in over 44 years of driving), so when the time does come to change my GTI+ in around 4 years time I’ll probably be looking at what VW models there are at that time before I look at alternatives from other manufacturers.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 pm I was thinking more as I get towards end of pcp. Wouldn’t swap my car now as I’ve only had it since august and I absolutely love it. The only gripe I have with it is the cup holders are a bit pathetic compared to my golfs and even my cheaply made troc.
Fair enough. Cup holders are pathetic. I just throw a bottle on the door bin.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Auto Express has a feature on the 'Face lift' model

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswage ... -8-styling

The Polo will have some competition tho' -- a facelift for the Ibiza and a new model of the Fabia are also due
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If there's never going to be a Polo R (as Stuart Rendall suggested, and it seems likely not to have one), those cannot be official pics because that's not an R-Line, it's an R render. It's got got the Golf R cloth on the seats, blue R ambient lighting, 4 tail pipes, Lapiz paint...
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:47 am If there's never going to be a Polo R (as Stuart Rendall suggested, and it seems likely not to have one), those cannot be official pics because that's not an R-Line, it's an R render. It's got got the Golf R cloth on the seats, blue R ambient lighting, 4 tail pipes, Lapiz paint...
If the Auto Express pictures in the link posted by @albob are renders then they’re a pretty accurate representation of the actual facelift Polo R-Line which is being reviewed in the Autogefühl video on YouTube- link below. The four exhaust tail pipes are fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2hJ-eEe8w
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:39 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:47 am If there's never going to be a Polo R (as Stuart Rendall suggested, and it seems likely not to have one), those cannot be official pics because that's not an R-Line, it's an R render. It's got got the Golf R cloth on the seats, blue R ambient lighting, 4 tail pipes, Lapiz paint...
If the Auto Express pictures in the link posted by @albob are renders then they’re a pretty accurate representation of the actual facelift Polo R-Line which is being reviewed in the Autogefühl video on YouTube- link below. The four exhaust tail pipes are fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2hJ-eEe8w
I believe the link from @albob are official as VW seem to have adapted the R badging on R-Line cars now. Takes away from those owning the real thing in my opinion. Also up marketing a car is never appealing. I'd prefer a Golf R with no R badge rather then a Golf R-Line with just R badges.
Attachments
This here is a generic R-Line car but it isn't very obvious it's only an R-Line.
This here is a generic R-Line car but it isn't very obvious it's only an R-Line.
SmartSelect_20210424-103308_Auto Trader.jpg (137.48 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:39 am I believe the link from @albob are official as VW seem to have adapted the R badging on R-Line cars now. Takes away from those owning the real thing in my opinion. Also up marketing a car is never appealing. I'd prefer a Golf R with no R badge rather then a Golf R-Line with just R badges.
touché
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:23 am
Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:39 am I believe the link from @albob are official as VW seem to have adapted the R badging on R-Line cars now. Takes away from those owning the real thing in my opinion. Also up marketing a car is never appealing. I'd prefer a Golf R with no R badge rather then a Golf R-Line with just R badges.
touché
Agree.

Within VAG, Audi also play the up-marketing game with their S Line trim and styling package for wannabe owners who aspire to a ‘full fat’ S model and Ford do it as well with the ST Line, although both Audi and Ford do include the word ‘Line’ on their badges, so they don’t deceive the well informed or the enthusiasts.
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by raysablade »

It this Autogefühl video there are no exciting additions and the AC and Infotainment controls do seem to be a step back
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

raysablade wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 pm It this Autogefühl video there are no exciting additions and the AC and Infotainment controls do seem to be a step back
The LED headlamps are a good addition and technophiles will probably like the tech upgrades too, although VW seem to consider form over function to be important with some of the interior controls.

As said in earlier posts, for anyone with a current model Polo, unless their PCP or lease is coming to an end it doesn’t really make financial sense to go for the facelift just to be driving around in the latest model.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

LEDs have got so cheap that it's almost a no-brainer. Means you can advertise LED lighting even if it's barely any pricier than the old halogens. Whether the regular lights are any good remains to be seen. But the LEDs in my Ibiza are brilliant, so here's hoping!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:54 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am It’s been confirmed during the launch (according to auto car) the gti will reappear early 2022. Some good news then.
I've seen that too but they mention power may be down and it may, although unlikely, run a smaller engine.
Just read the article on the facelift Polo range over on polodriver.com. According to that article, the Polo GTI will actually get a small increase in bhp; up from 197 to 204. It states that the facelift GTI will be unveiled in the summer of 2021 with UK sales starting in early 2022, which is consistent with the 2022 date mentioned by Auto Car.

Link to the article below;

http://www.polodriver.com/category/polo-2017/
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am It’s been confirmed during the launch (according to auto car) the gti will reappear early 2022. Some good news then.
I've seen that too but they mention power may be down and it may, although unlikely, run a smaller engine.
Just read the article on the facelift Polo range over on polodriver.com. According to that article, the Polo GTI will actually get a small increase in bhp; up from 197 to 204. It states that the facelift GTI will be unveiled in the summer of 2021 with UK sales starting in early 2022, which is consistent with the 2022 date mentioned by Auto Car.

Are the lying b'stards claiming to have a manual box available too? :lol:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:40 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am

Are the lying b'stards claiming to have a manual box available too? :lol:
I don’t think so, are they? I can’t see anything in that polodriver.com article that suggests or makes reference to the GTI getting a manual gearbox.