The GTi is back with more power and 7sp dsg

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

The GTi is back with more power and 7sp dsg

Post by Teee »

Looks like the gti is back on the vw configurator with more power (207ps) and 7sp dsg ...I’m pretty sure the price has been bumped up to lol .
Attachments
B7F6BBEE-D989-4003-965B-24B7495694C2.png
B7F6BBEE-D989-4003-965B-24B7495694C2.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2512 times
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: The GTi is back with more power and 7sp dsg

Post by S_94 »

Any advantages of the 7 speed vs 6 speed DSG?
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

S_94 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm Any advantages of the 7 speed vs 6 speed DSG?
Better economy in auto I assume.

And I am surprised that they've added it back already before the facelift. I thought if they were to add it then it will have been much later in the year.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:07 pm
S_94 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm Any advantages of the 7 speed vs 6 speed DSG?

And I am surprised that they've added it back already before the facelift. I thought if they were to add it then it will have been much later in the year.
Yeah that is surprising. Wondering if that means even longer before the facelift hits the UK.

The price bump is quite hefty as well. Adding on the 18' Brescia's pushes you close to £26k
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Just run the spec of my car through the configurator and the list price now for my car is £2,125 more than it was in Feb last year when I ordered mine. I know some of that increase can be attributed to the 7 speed DSG, but over £2k price increase in 14 months sounds a lot.

There’ll no doubt be a further price hike when the order books open for the facelift model.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:23 pm Just run the spec of my car through the configurator and the list price now for my car is £2,125 more than it was in Feb last year when I ordered mine. I know some of that increase can be attributed to the 7 speed DSG, but over £2k price increase in 14 months sounds a lot.

There’ll no doubt be a further price hike when the order books open for the facelift model.
I managed to get my GTI+ with about £1500 worth of options for £22000 before deposit back in March 2020 using Carwow but £26,000+ seems expensive even compared to recent VW proce hikes. Think if I was to buy again I would prefer a used GTI TCR or a Megane RS.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If it's geared like my A4, the 7th gear hardly comes into play unless you aim to sit at 80 on the motorway.

The 7 speed was much less responsive than the GTIs 6 speed, hopefully it was set that way for comfort rather than being genuinely sluggish.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:48 pm
SRGTD wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:23 pm Just run the spec of my car through the configurator and the list price now for my car is £2,125 more than it was in Feb last year when I ordered mine. I know some of that increase can be attributed to the 7 speed DSG, but over £2k price increase in 14 months sounds a lot.

I managed to get my GTI+ with about £1500 worth of options for £22000 before deposit back in March 2020 using Carwow but £26,000+ seems expensive even compared to recent VW proce hikes. Think if I was to buy again I would prefer a used GTI TCR or a Megane RS.
VW do like their regular inflation busting price hikes. My incoming ID3 is £1050 more expensive (RRP) as of 1st April than it was on March 27th when I ordered. Dodged a bullet there!
Jackgti
New
Drives: Polo GTi+ 2020

Post by Jackgti »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:13 pm

If it's geared like my A4, the 7th gear hardly comes into play unless you aim to sit at 80 on the motorway.

The 7 speed was much less responsive than the GTIs 6 speed, hopefully it was set that way for comfort rather than being genuinely sluggish.
I used to drive the old polo gti which has a 7 speed dsg gear box and I found that much more responsive, faster shifting and it’s kick down was flawless.

Maybe my memory isn’t as good lol, would’ve loved a 7 speed!
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I hear rumours that the new 7 speed will most likely be the old DQ200 gearbox which appears to be less capable in terms of torque tuneability. I've also seen people say that the DQ381 probably won't be used due to size of the gearbox and packaging issues in the Polo.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 pm I hear rumours that the new 7 speed will most likely be the old DQ200 gearbox which appears to be less capable in terms of torque tuneability. I've also seen people say that the DQ381 probably won't be used due to size of the gearbox and packaging issues in the Polo.
I'd be amazed if they use the dry clutch variant of the 7 speed box rather than the wet box on the Golf GTI, for reasons of longevity. They chose the 6 speed wet box over the 7 speed dry box for a reason previously, and they've given the car 7ps more, but torque is unchanged. If they use that dry box, the Polo GTI will have no extra capacity for remapping unless they've completely re-engineered it.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Jackgti wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:48 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:13 pm

I used to drive the old polo gti which has a 7 speed dsg gear box and I found that much more responsive, faster shifting and it’s kick down was flawless.

Maybe my memory isn’t as good lol, would’ve loved a 7 speed!
Your memory serves you well, I had a 2012 Fabia VRS with that same 7spd DSG (I believe) and I felt it was a nicer drive than this 6spd DSG.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:33 am
Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 pm I hear rumours that the new 7 speed will most likely be the old DQ200 gearbox which appears to be less capable in terms of torque tuneability. I've also seen people say that the DQ381 probably won't be used due to size of the gearbox and packaging issues in the Polo.
I'd be amazed if they use the dry clutch variant of the 7 speed box rather than the wet box on the Golf GTI, for reasons of longevity. They chose the 6 speed wet box over the 7 speed dry box for a reason previously, and they've given the car 7ps more, but torque is unchanged. If they use that dry box, the Polo GTI will have no extra capacity for remapping unless they've completely re-engineered it.
I'm not entirely sure why they've advertised the extra few PS as 207PS works out at around 152KW or 204bhp which is what all of our GTI's will do on a dyno. It appears they have gone for an honest number instead of their underestimate they provided before of 200PS.

I suppose it is only rumours so take it with a pinch of salt however from what i've seen online the DQ200 is much smaller than the DQ381 and VW already moved the battery into the boot to fit the engine into the Polo shell so it could be possible that they would choose the more efficient and smaller gearbox because after all it is returning because it now meets EU emission standards.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

The spare wheel is also a £100 option now instead of standard.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:25 am The spare wheel is also a £100 option now instead of standard.
That'll just prompt me to remove mine if I p/x it at a dealer against another Polo or put on ebay if I don't!