Buying a Match 95 auto questions

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Buying a Match 95 auto questions

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:34 am
Leif wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 pm You’ve just missed the best time to get a discount which is March and September as dealers want to max their sales for the half year to get the VW bonus. I quoted online broker prices to local dealers, and one price matched and had loads of cars to choose from. Other dealers in the same group were less keen. I was told to take out the VW payment plan, with the included discount, then cancel it ASAP. By law they can’t reclaim the discount. Some people consider this unethical, but VW is a big organisation, they know what they are doing.
I have literally just done the above with our new ID3. Picked it up Saturday and called up VWFS Monday to withdraw from the agreement and pocket the deposit contribution. Just awaiting my settlement paperwork through the post to pay off the car. I placed my order for a built car on 29th March (before a price rise that saw the same car's RRP rise by £1050 for orders placed from 1st April). I got to around £450 under the DTD price.
I’m a wee bit jealous. Were I buying a car today, I’d probably get an ID3 as I could then do a lot of driving with low fuel costs, and you don’t have high cost service items such as clutches and cam belts to replace. However, I don’t want to sell the three year old Polo, I do rather like it and realistically keeping it is the cheapest option. I’d rather keep my savings invested in stock markets. It’s amazing that EVs are now viable on a long term cost basis compared to ICE vehicles, although of course you have the greater upfront cost. In a few years time our fine government will find a way to charge an EV for mileage covered to compensate for loss of fuel tax revenue. But I’m still a bit jealous.

I’m amazed at now many I see locally. I’m sure I see more of them than Teslas and the ID3 has only been on sale for a short time. Some people say how ugly they are, I think they look good, futuristic but not daft.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:43 pm However, I don’t want to sell the three year old Polo, I do rather like it and realistically keeping it is the cheapest option. I’d rather keep my savings invested in stock markets. It’s amazing that EVs are now viable on a long term cost basis compared to ICE vehicles, although of course you have the greater upfront cost.
Only if you buy
If you PCP or lease there are many EVs that are available for no greater cost than their ICE counterparts.
Renault doing Zoe for £199 a month, Nissan leaf available for <£250 a month.
If only I could get out of the GTi deal....... :(
I could buy myself out of the PCP deal and sell the GTi, but I really doubt there's much of a market for it, I think I'd be stuck with it or forced into using WBAC.
So I think I'll just have to be patient and ride out the deal.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:43 pm
Leif wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 pm You’ve just missed the best time to get a discount which is March and September as dealers want to max their sales for the half year to get the VW bonus. I quoted online broker prices to local dealers, and one price matched and had loads of cars to choose from. Other dealers in the same group were less keen. I was told to take out the VW payment plan, with the included discount, then cancel it ASAP. By law they can’t reclaim the discount. Some people consider this unethical, but VW is a big organisation, they know what they are doing.
I have literally just done the above with our new ID3. Picked it up Saturday and called up VWFS Monday to withdraw from the agreement and pocket the deposit contribution. Just awaiting my settlement paperwork through the post to pay off the car. I placed my order for a built car on 29th March (before a price rise that saw the same car's RRP rise by £1050 for orders placed from 1st April). I got to around £450 under the DTD price.
I’m a wee bit jealous. Were I buying a car today, I’d probably get an ID3 as I could then do a lot of driving with low fuel costs, and you don’t have high cost service items such as clutches and cam belts to replace. However, I don’t want to sell the three year old Polo, I do rather like it and realistically keeping it is the cheapest option. I’d rather keep my savings invested in stock markets. It’s amazing that EVs are now viable on a long term cost basis compared to ICE vehicles, although of course you have the greater upfront cost. In a few years time our fine government will find a way to charge an EV for mileage covered to compensate for loss of fuel tax revenue. But I’m still a bit jealous.

I’m amazed at now many I see locally. I’m sure I see more of them than Teslas and the ID3 has only been on sale for a short time. Some people say how ugly they are, I think they look good, futuristic but not daft.
I'm having that dilemma about the Polo currently. At spot on 2 years old, I imagine it's worth £16k right now. There's only 1 day a week (sometimes 1 per fortnight) where we both need to commute, so the Polo's sitting depreciating £250 a month (I own it outright) for a 64 mile journey once a fortnight now. I should get rid and buy a banger or drop to a 1 car household and cop for the wife's commute in a taxi 2 or 3 times a month (£15 each way I'm guessing for an 8 mile journey each way). £90 a month in taxis, no car tax, no fuel, no insurance...

The Polo is serving a very useful purpose right now - it's parked at the kerbside between mine and my neighbours' driveways, with plenty of room for reversing onto our drive. My neighbour the other way used to habitually Park where the Polo.is now and partially block our drive. I told her it had to stop as I needed to be on my drive for charging and she was in agreement, but first opportunity to park for charging and she blocked the ID3 in.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:11 am If only I could get out of the GTi deal....... :(
I could buy myself out of the PCP deal and sell the GTi, but I really doubt there's much of a market for it, I think I'd be stuck with it or forced into using WBAC.
The market for Polo GTI's is looking pretty strong at the moment. Depending on the PCP deal you got with VW you could get out the Polo and be in the black. Had my Polo GTI+ for just over a year and have around 11k miles on it with £16500 settlement and an offer from WeBuyAnyCar for £18500 so privately you could sell a decently specced GTI+ with ~10k miles you're looking at between £18k and £20k.
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

PIcked up my Match DSG last week and am very impressed with the gearbox. The only negative I've found is when putting it the garage. There is a 40mm step up from the drive to the garage. I let it creep forward at sufficient speed to allow the front wheels to clear the step, then I need to brake to ease it it gently into a not very large space. This has the effect of stopping the rear wheels clearing the step. Applying the gas then tends to make the car go forward too fast, so I need to be quick on the brakes.

The experience on the road is very good however, leading to my wife asking "why don't all cars have these gearboxes?

A minor annoyance (as it was with my 3 year old Polo) is exactly what spec do I have with regard to the infotainment options? As before the manual tries to covers all variants, but often fails to enlighten me as to my particular model. Mine does come with cruise control as expected.

For example, inside the glove box. The CD player slot has vanished but the SD card slot is still present. Ok with the lack of CD player but after inserting my SD card in - nothing. The manual does say it may or may not be present (same with lots of other features) The card did not click into place so clearly the feature has been dropped.

The amount of connectivity compared with my old Polo is staggering. Why do we have to pay extra for all this useless stuff?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:11 am If only I could get out of the GTi deal....... :(
The market for Polo GTI's is looking pretty strong at the moment. Depending on the PCP deal you got with VW you could get out the Polo and be in the black. Had my Polo GTI+ for just over a year and have around 11k miles on it with £16500 settlement and an offer from WeBuyAnyCar for £18500 so privately you could sell a decently specced GTI+ with ~10k miles you're looking at between £18k and £20k.
Really?
Blimey, I need to check my figures.
I'm maybe assuming it'll be hard to get rid of based on me not liking it.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:07 pm
Leif wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:43 pm

I'm having that dilemma about the Polo currently. At spot on 2 years old, I imagine it's worth £16k right now. There's only 1 day a week (sometimes 1 per fortnight) where we both need to commute, so the Polo's sitting depreciating £250 a month (I own it outright) for a 64 mile journey once a fortnight now. I should get rid and buy a banger or drop to a 1 car household and cop for the wife's commute in a taxi 2 or 3 times a month (£15 each way I'm guessing for an 8 mile journey each way). £90 a month in taxis, no car tax, no fuel, no insurance...

The Polo is serving a very useful purpose right now - it's parked at the kerbside between mine and my neighbours' driveways, with plenty of room for reversing onto our drive. My neighbour the other way used to habitually Park where the Polo.is now and partially block our drive. I told her it had to stop as I needed to be on my drive for charging and she was in agreement, but first opportunity to park for charging and she blocked the ID3 in.
I guess you need to factor in convenience, so not having to wait for taxis, and not having to talk to the driver, and how much you need the money. A banger isn’t necessarily cheap to run, as replacement clutches, gearboxes, cam belts cost a lot. A small car like the WW Up, higher mileage, four years old, might make more sense. The Toyota Aygo probably lasts longer (it’s a Toyota) but I don’t like it FWTW. Cars aren’t cheap.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:36 pm
I guess you need to factor in convenience, so not having to wait for taxis, and not having to talk to the driver, and how much you need the money. A banger isn’t necessarily cheap to run, as replacement clutches, gearboxes, cam belts cost a lot. A small car like the WW Up, higher mileage, four years old, might make more sense. The Toyota Aygo probably lasts longer (it’s a Toyota) but I don’t like it FWTW. Cars aren’t cheap.
Our daughter's Seat Mii (same as an UP) is 8 years old, 54000 miles and is really quite remarkable for such a small car.
It feels so solid and new, whereas her friend's Aygo feels tinny.
We had a much newer Kia Picanto SR7 for a while as well and it also felt tinny and crashy over bumps.
IMO the UP and its Seat and Skoda derivatives are VAGs most impressive cars (yes, really) as getting such a small car to feel so solid is something else.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:58 pm
Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 pm
Really?
Blimey, I need to check my figures.
I'm maybe assuming it'll be hard to get rid of based on me not liking it.
Don't forget, yours isn't a plus, so it'll be worth less than those figures, not sure how much less, not many people go for a GTI and don't go with the plus. Sometimes the difference is disproportionate to original cost. The Plus was a £1650 difference, but if the non-plus proves unpopular duty to less equipment, the difference could be more than that. My Golf R sold for £1300.more than an identical one at the dealers because it had the sought after 19" Pretoria wheels (the standard 18s were pretty ugly in comparison) - they were an £890 option.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:46 pm Don't forget, yours isn't a plus, so it'll be worth less than those figures, not sure how much less, not many people go for a GTI and don't go with the plus. Sometimes the difference is disproportionate to original cost. The Plus was a £1650 difference, but if the non-plus proves unpopular duty to less equipment, the difference could be more than that. My Golf R sold for £1300.more than an identical one at the dealers because it had the sought after 19" Pretoria wheels (the standard 18s were pretty ugly in comparison) - they were an £890 option.
WBAC have offered bang on £18000
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:40 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:46 pm Don't forget, yours isn't a plus, so it'll be worth less than those figures, not sure how much less, not many people go for a GTI and don't go with the plus. Sometimes the difference is disproportionate to original cost. The Plus was a £1650 difference, but if the non-plus proves unpopular duty to less equipment, the difference could be more than that. My Golf R sold for £1300.more than an identical one at the dealers because it had the sought after 19" Pretoria wheels (the standard 18s were pretty ugly in comparison) - they were an £890 option.
WBAC have offered bang on £18000
Does that put you in equity vs your VWFS agreement?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Dunno, not had time to check with VWFS yet
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:33 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Dunno, not had time to check with VWFS yet
The value on GTI+ seem to be holding up very well. Mine's got 13200 miles on the clock and is exactly 2 years old - motorway price it up as £17300, unconfirmed by a buyer actually offering that, but hoping to hear on Monday/Tuesday. Assuming I do get offered that, I'll have lost £3400 in depreciation vs what I've paid for it (£142 per month net). At that price, it'll be going as its Sat idle 13 days out of 14 days currently.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:57 pm
The value on GTI+ seem to be holding up very well. Mine's got 13200 miles on the clock and is exactly 2 years old - motorway price it up as £17300, unconfirmed by a buyer actually offering that, but hoping to hear on Monday/Tuesday. Assuming I do get offered that, I'll have lost £3400 in depreciation vs what I've paid for it (£142 per month net). At that price, it'll be going as its Sat idle 13 days out of 14 days currently.
[/quote]

Interesting quote to see the difference with a car that is 2 years old and 1 year old. I got my car in March 2020 with 11k miles and i've been quoted £18,500. Didn't mention any of the mods though. Would be interested to see how it effects the price.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:13 pm Interesting quote to see the difference with a car that is 2 years old and 1 year old. I got my car in March 2020 with 11k miles and i've been quoted £18,500. Didn't mention any of the mods though. Would be interested to see how it effects the price.
I think the affect of mods on a car’s value will depend on who you’re selling to and what the modifications are.

Some modifications might not be to a prospective buyer’s taste, and depending on what the modifications are, the potential impact on warranty will put some buyers off. Members of certain enthusiast groups might not be put off by modifications (e.g. members of Facebook groups, some car forum members), and selling a modified car to such a person might actually help the sale.

IMO it’s always worth considering returning a car to stock come sale time and selling the modified parts separately. That way, the impact on a car’s value is unlikely to be adversely affected, the car will appeal to a broad target market, and some of the financial outlay on the modifications can be recovered by selling them separately.