Michelin Pilot Sport 4 / Mileage?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 / Mileage?

Post by S_94 »

Evening all,

Have done roughly 9000 miles with the MPS4's on. What sort of mileage can you expect before needing a new set. Obviously this depends on how you drive but just trying to get a rough estimate.

I think it was monkeyhanger who recommended switching the fronts and backs round after roughly 10,000 miles (think my tyre fitter said something along the same lines).

Cheers
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 / Mileage?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I'm still on my first set but at a guess ±35000 - 45000 Km's (±21747 - 27961 miles) and I have mine rotated every 6000Km's (3728 miles).
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:11 pm I'm still on my first set but at a guess ±35000 - 45000 Km's (±21747 - 27961 miles) and I have mine rotated every 6000Km's (3728 miles).
Thanks mate didn't think they'd last that long!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Agree that driving style will be a big factor when considering tyre life. Tyre pressure and wheel alignment will also be factors to ensure they don’t have to be changed early because of uneven wear.

How much tread do your tyres have left after 9,000 miles? Assuming the tread depth was around 7.5 mm when new, based on how much the tread has worn down in those 9,000 miles will give you a rough idea of how many more miles you’re likely to get out of them before they need changing (I change mine when there’s around 2.5 -3mm of tread left, rather than let them get down to the 1.6mm legal minimum).

Not PS4’s, but the front tyres (Continental ContiSport Contact) on my last Polo GTI still had around 4mm of tread remaining when I sold the car after 22-23k miles, and those tyres weren’t rotated front to back (rears had around 6mm of tread remaining). Based on tyre reviews.com, Contis have a worse wear rate than PS4’s, so I’d hope to get at least 25k miles from the PS4’s.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Thanks SRGTD.

Will check the tread tomorrow. Been running 36psi front and 33psi on the back.

Good to know could potentially get 25k from them. Planning on swapping them round in the next few days.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

What's the point of rotating?
Surely that just means you have to replace four tyres at the same time, rather than two?
If you've no intention of fitting the same tyre again this would make sense, but if you intend to have the same again why not just leave the rears in place and let the fronts wear out? :?:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:23 pm What's the point of rotating?
Surely that just means you have to replace four tyres at the same time, rather than two?
If you've no intention of fitting the same tyre again this would make sense, but if you intend to have the same again why not just leave the rears in place and let the fronts wear out? :?:
Plenty of reasons...You're looking to sell the car,/part-ex it in without having to put on another 2 front tyres as evenly spread wear would last you the time you'll have it, or otherwise you want to have even wear all round for grip/traction considerations.

Without rotating, the fronts might last 18k miles, but the backs will do 45k miles, and you aim to get shot at 25-30k miles, you'll be buying 6 tyres.

If you rotate, you'll be buying 4 tyres, and they'll be done in at around 33k miles - someone else's problem.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Car has been in for a service this morning. Haven't got it back yet but VW have sent a 'health check' video going over some details which is nice.

Front right tyre tread:

Inner: 4mm
Middle 3mm
Outer: 4mm

Front left tyre tread:

Inner: 3mm
Middle 2.5mm
Outer: 3mm

Been recommended two new front tyres. The back tyres are 6mm all across both.

Any reasons for the uneven wear on the front tyres?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

If tyres are worn more on the middle section of the tread rather than evenly across the tread’s width, then that’s an indication that the tyres are probably over inflated.

Similarly, if both outer sections are more worn than the centre section, then that’s usually a sign of under inflated tyres. Excessive wear on just one side of the tyre may be an indication of tracking / alignment issues.

Wearing the tyres down to around 3mm in 9k miles means you’re enjoying your GTI and driving it as it should be driven! 😁👍
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am If tyres are worn more on the middle section of the tread rather than evenly across the tread’s width, then that’s an indication that the tyres are probably over inflated.

Similarly, if both outer sections are more worn than the centre section, then that’s usually a sign of under inflated tyres. Excessive wear on just one side of the tyre may be an indication of tracking / alignment issues.
I've been running 36psi on the front and 33psi on the back. In all fairness I don't check the pressure as often as I should so maybe that's a cause. Think I'll be ordering 2 new MPS4's so hopefully can get a good price somewhere. :)
SRGTD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am Wearing the tyres down to around 3mm in 9k miles means you’re enjoying your GTI and driving it as it should be driven! 😁👍
Haha definitely, I do hammer it quite often! No point having a GTI if you're gonna drive around in Eco mode. :lol:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:22 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am If tyres are worn more on the middle section of the tread rather than evenly across the tread’s width, then that’s an indication that the tyres are probably over inflated.

I've been running 36psi on the front and 33psi on the back. In all fairness I don't check the pressure as often as I should so maybe that's a cause. Think I'll be ordering 2 new MPS4's so hopefully can get a good price somewhere. :)
SRGTD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am Wearing the tyres down to around 3mm in 9k miles means you’re enjoying your GTI and driving it as it should be driven! 😁👍
Haha definitely, I do hammer it quite often! No point having a GTI if you're gonna drive around in Eco mode. :lol:
Eco mode? What’s that? I’ve never used it and don’t intend to start now. 🙂
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:41 pm Eco mode? What’s that? I’ve never used it and don’t intend to start now. 🙂
Pointless anyway, as VW have decided you're not allowed to stay in it after you switch the ignition off/on.
They'll let you think you're in ECO mode, the mode light will be lit, but you're not.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:41 pm
S_94 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:22 pm

Eco mode? What’s that? I’ve never used it and don’t intend to start now. 🙂
Eco makes no difference anyway other than dulling the throttle. I’ve tried it multiple times on my 30 mile journey to work and it just makes the car dull. Not a single improvement in mpg over normal mode as I’m getting 42 mpg over a tank in an app.

They should’ve made it like the last gti and just had normal and sport - don’t buy a gti to drive it in eco!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:07 pm don’t buy a gti to drive it in eco!
100% agree. Eco has no place in a GTI IMHO. It’s been said before on various forums that to get around the dull throttle response in Eco, the natural tendency is to push the accelerator pedal harder which then increases the fuel consumption so kind of defeats the purpose of having an Eco mode.

If economy was a priority, then I’d have bought a diesel.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I quite liked ECO, when VW allowed me to use it....
Yes it dulls the throttle, but it also gives more of a freewheeling effect slowing down, none of the jerky downchanges of normal.
Much nicer when you're just bimbling along in traffic or carrying passengers whose necks won't be prepared for jerky downchanges, especially the one around 14mph.
But seeing as it needs selected every time you turn the key, I've given up on it.