Recommend interior Trunk LED?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Recommend interior Trunk LED?

Post by Ping »

Can anyone recommend any interior trunk T10 LED for Polo AW?

I have ordered so many different T10 LED for interior trunk now and they all keep flashing. Main interior LED works fine, just the trunk interior that keeps flashing, just in my old car.
I tested: Canbus T10 10 smd, Canbus T10 6W COB. I still have Canbus T10 24smd 4014 incomming, but COB LED usually draw more power so im a bit sceptic.

So if anyone of you know any working T10 LED that works in the trunk interior please let me know :?: . I cant belive they still use Halogen in 2018. Can barely see anything in the trunk :shock: .
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Re: Recommend interior Trunk LED?

Post by Steve_2019 »

I fitted this bulb in the boot ‘trunk’

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-LEDriv ... VfUQWsEGtk

No flickering etc
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

I tried thoose too, also flickering.
Maybe I have some issue with the cord. I wonder if this is covered by the Das weltAuto warranty cause I dont notice it with the normal halogen bulb, but I also barely se anything with the original :cry:

All tried and flickering:
10SMD Led
COB LED
24 SMD LED canbus
Hypercolor LED canbus
Hypercolor LED canbus with extra 2200 resistor
Osram LED Canbus

Original halogen seems to work fine though. I think I try one of thoose 18LED built in a case one and if that one dosent work sadly switch back to halogen :cry:
Attachments
DSC_2023.JPG
DSC_2023.JPG (69.52 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I find the halogen trunk bulb to be OK - admittedly, an LED would be brighter, but the standard halogen bulb is bright enough if I need to use the trunk after dark.

In the UK, wiring and connections are not covered under VW’s approved used car warranty. I suspect that would also be the case in Sweden, although to be certain you’d need to check your warranty booklet.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I suspect the reason you don't see halogen/incandescent flickering is not because they don't or are not being powered in pulses but the technology of the bulbs.. a glowing piece of tungsten is relit (reenergised) on the power cycle before you perceive/detect the dimming.

The older Household lamps and halogens too, equally do not seem to flicker (UK AC 50hz frequency) but strip lights (fluorescent) do because they can switch on and off rapidly/visibly... you can sometimes detect these as though they are flickering out of the corner of your eye.

LEDs as you have discovered can turn off and on visibly extremely quickly. Not helping you here... but i suspect some LED circuits have a chip to perhaps raise the frequency of the power cycle?
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

Ok just a little update, just a few days before my 6th LED arrived (Amazon Winpower LED) i reinstalled the "24 SMD LED canbus". But this time I bent the connectors on the cable a bit, before reattaching the cable and it's been working for 3-4weeks now. I dont even dare to touch it.

The original issue "seems" to be a bad connection between the cable and the lamp socket. I can't 100% confirm this yet though.
breeza
New
Drives: Reflex silver SEL 110ps

Post by breeza »

Now that you have fixed the flickering have you tried them all to see which illuminates the boot the best?
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

breeza wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:24 am Now that you have fixed the flickering have you tried them all to see which illuminates the boot the best?
Out of the 5 you see in the picture, the the 24 SMD LED canbus is definitely the brightest one. The only one I havent tested is the Amazon Winpower LED.
I havent dare to touch it since its working now.
breeza
New

Post by breeza »

Thanks for the reply,

Do you have a link for the 24 SMD LED canbus? I will grab one
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

Don't wanna break any potential forum rules.

But you can pretty much find them everywhere (ebay, amazon, aliexpress, wish and so on) using the term: "24 4014 Canbus LED"
breeza
New

Post by breeza »

OK thanks. Grabbed one from ebay and it's working great. Looks so much better than the yellow light it has replaced.
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

Ok a small update after 6months.
The Led started turn on/off sometimes. Everytime I hit the trunk interior or hit the led it would turn on/off. It was like this also 6months ago when I installed it but I guess the connection was not 100%.
The issue is most likely the original lamp holder pins are not connected well enough to the cable connector so thats why its turn on/off. Maybe i could have bent it even more to make a better connection.

Well instead I installed the Winpower LED I bought from Amazon.
I tried to yank the cable and hit the interior but it did not blink even once. and it seems to be a tiny bit brighter than the previous LED. So im superhappy and hope this works well now from now on. I can recommend the Winpower LED. The Led pins are longer so maybe thats why it's a better connection. I also had to direct the pins while installing the new LED.
I will update this thread if I get any issues in the future.