Exhaust cam variator. Loose bolts. TPI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TTRACES55
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI 95ps Beats

Exhaust cam variator. Loose bolts. TPI?

Post by TTRACES55 »

2018. 1.0L TSI 3 cylinder. 95PS.
Does anybody know the TPI for the exhaust cam variator (loose bolts) is online anywhere? Had a conversation with a VW technician and he said there is one, but wouldn’t give me the number. He also said that apparently VW are investigating this problem, as there have been several vehicles in the field with the same problem. VW currently being very tight lipped about it. This is the problem that I posted in the Polo section with the Imgur link to the photos.
Any advice would be gratefully received. I’ll also interrogate the ERWIN system.
Thx.
I posted this originally in the previous model
Forum as that had reference to TPI’s. Now posting it here as well
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Re: Exhaust cam variator. Loose bolts. TPI?

Post by ho8882000 »

I remember on the early version EA211 1.2 TSi engine, there is a problem with loose bolt on the cam adjuster, but it is on the inlet camshaft variator, not on the exhaust side.

If there is an official VW TPI of the EA211 1.0 TSi engine, it should be on ErWin.
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

UPDATE from author.
I found the TPI on the VW erWIN system. Issue has been known since June 2020, so not a one-off. Subject vehicle has now been repaired and VW / dealer agreed to 50% of cost, but it still cost the owner a tidy sum. It cost the dealership additional cost, as they discovered that the cambelt was fraying (due to the fallen bolts???), and they replaced that as well as the tensioner wheel, and had to clean out any debris from the cambelt tunnel. I’d be interested to know if any other owners have suffered the same problem and what the outcome was.
Thanks.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

TTRACES55 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:46 am UPDATE from author.
I found the TPI on the VW erWIN system. Issue has been known since June 2020, so not a one-off. Subject vehicle has now been repaired and VW / dealer agreed to 50% of cost, but it still cost the owner a tidy sum. It cost the dealership additional cost, as they discovered that the cambelt was fraying (due to the fallen bolts???), and they replaced that as well as the tensioner wheel, and had to clean out any debris from the cambelt tunnel. I’d be interested to know if any other owners have suffered the same problem and what the outcome was.
Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback, what is the mileage on your Polo when this happen?
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

50,000 Miles
Audi A4 1400 TFSI B9
New
Drives: Audi A4

Post by Audi A4 1400 TFSI B9 »

I have an audi 1.4 tfsi B9 with the same problem (VW Group),
Of the 5 bolts 1 has come loose and almost come off! That would ahve seriously destroyed a few things! Lucky I discovered it sooner rather than later. As it's only done 28,000 I don't believe the cover has ever come off for any works. Even if it did no works have ever been on the cam. Taking it to Audi so let's see what they say. Looking at this thread it seems a common faukt and other drivers need to be wary it could happen to other VW vehicles
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

Hi. I’d be interested to hear the outcome of your dealings with VW / Audi. They definitely have an issue but are refusing to acknowledge it. The VW Head office, Milton Keynes, Customer Service dept are staffed by non-technical people, who just toe the party line. I’ve had several email and telephone exchanges with a particular ‘manager’. Didn’t have a clue what he was talking about.
I wouldn’t bother with the DVSA / VRB, if you try and get them involved. Waste of time. I tried to get them interested. They seem to be part-timers, who don’t appear to either have much technical knowledge, or don’t want to get involved / upset the manufacturers. That was also the experience of another disgruntled VW owner, that I was in contact with.
Good luck.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

It seems that VW Group outsource that "customer handling service" to a 3rd party, who doubt will be rewarded by "results" - but owners idea of results will be the opposite of that 3rd party outsourced company of desk seat polishers.

I'd still think that logging everything that you view as a safety issue on the DVSA website should influence them a bit, every subject logged will get a reference number for you to quote in the future and they do seem to talk to VW Group, and hopefully not these 3rd party outsourced clowns.

The problem that, it seems, that DVSA have is, they have a very "well" thought out series of conditions that have to be met before their assessment of any car issue moves forward for official consideration, if the first flag does not get set, after discussions with the manufacturer then no further action is taken at that time, while I think, the subject does get recorded just in case there are further developments.

I contacted them about the "high pressure fuel rail bolts slackening off or shearing and causing high pressure petrol to get sprayed around the hot engine" - they did reply quickly and gave me a reference number to use in the future. What they said was, they have previously discussed this with VW Group and they were assured that the driver would know that something had happened, I'm guessing that a fault light would come on due to the drop in the high pressure rail, and that, they considered was enough to force the driver to get off the road and stop the engine and so stop a dangerous situation developing - I'm not too sure about that theory on a fast busy motorway, but there you have it!

Similarly in this or other variable cam drive pulley bolts slackening, the driver must be able to detect a new unusual noise as metal meets metal, and stop as soon as possible before engine destruction - but once again, on a fast busy motorway, not a good idea.

So yes, DVSA really do need to find a way to deal with VW Group as they are far too smart for DVSA!
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

Where is this exhaust cam variator? What are the symptoms? I recently had some TPI work done to supposedly cure a knocking noise around the rear suspension which hasnt worked and is getting louder.
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

The exhaust cam variator is a part of the engine, under the hood / bonnet. Nothing to do with your issue.