Heavy water soaked carpets

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Heavy water soaked carpets

Post by Harrihealey02 »

https://ibb.co/HrxDQ00

I’ve had wet carpets in my car every time it rains (right hand side of car interior only) thought it was due to people getting In and out when it’s been raining. However it’s got to the point where it is unusually damp - picture included, when I place my hands on the carpet the water shows up around fingers. Has anyone had this before?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Heavy water soaked carpets

Post by SRGTD »

A few other forum members have had water ingress issues;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=546345#p546345

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=579786#p579786

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?p=561860#p561860

You may find others if you use the forum search facility - click on the cog wheel on the right of the ‘search’ window (top right of screen), and you can be more specific with your search criteria.

Looking at your picture, you appear to have a fairly significant water ingress problem which IMO needs to be rectified sooner rather than later, otherwise you’re likely to have mould issues, unpleasant musty smells and ultimately, rotting carpets and sound deadening material. Unfortunately, it can be very time consuming to trace the source of water ingress.

The mk7 / mk7.5 Golf has a number of potential weak points as far as water ingress is concerned that have been mentioned on forums over the years. I don’t know if these potential points of water ingress are relevant to the Polo, but it might be worth working through the list below, plus check the sources of water ingress experienced by forum members in the discussion threads at the links above. If none of these are the cause of your issue and you need to resort to taking your car to a garage for them to investigate, you’ll be able to tell them what you’ve checked and eliminated.

Good luck!

Mk7 Golf potential sources of water ingress into the cabin;
1. Blocked pollen filter.
2. Cars with sunroof - blocked sunroof drain pipes.
3. Damaged / broken door speaker seals, resulting in water draining into the foot wells.
4. Damaged / poor fitting door or window seals.
5. Damaged / perished grommet on the bottom of the drain pipe from the hatch release handle.
6. Damaged / cracked rubber sleeving covering the wiring from the car into the tailgate.
7. Poor seal between the tailgate hinges and where they’re attached to the body shell above the tailgate opening.
8. Damaged rubber washer between the roof and roof mounted aerial.
9. Damaged or perished seal(s) between the rear light clusters and the car body.
10. A/C drain tube becoming detached from the evaporator, draining into car interior rather than on the ground outside the car
11. Water ingress via vents in the lower rear quarter panels either side of the boot behind rear bumper cover.
12. Replacement windscreen not bonded correctly to car body shell.
13. Blocked drainage hole(s) in the corners of the windscreen scuttle panel.
Last edited by SRGTD on Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

My wife had water ingress on the rear footwell behind the driver, whenever it rained hard. Took it into Inchcape Bolton and they said straight away that they’ve had golfs, Trocs and polos all made around the same time with the same issue. They just needed to reseal part of the underfloor and it’s been fine ever since.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Thanks for the replies. I don’t fancy lifting the carpets up myself so I’ve booked it in Volkswagen Romford in a weeks time. Hopefully it will be something simple. It’s annoying that they haven’t made a recall on it as if it’s well known to them.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 pm Thanks for the replies. I don’t fancy lifting the carpets up myself so I’ve booked it in Volkswagen Romford in a weeks time. Hopefully it will be something simple. It’s annoying that they haven’t made a recall on it as if it’s well known to them.
Please update the forum when you know what the cause is. Hopefully it’s something that’s easy to find, so you’re not paying the dealer £££’s for many hours labour to identify the source of the problem.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

This isn’t an update as I’ve rescheduled the repair to next month 12th, so I can have courtesy car while it’s in.
I have noticed something new today, recently got 4 pints of water out the front and rear driver side carpets, so the carpets were relatively dry; now I’ve taken it to a carwash and instantly noticed lots of water in the front carpet with soapy (waxy texture) and I’ve come to the conclusion the water is coming from above and not below the car I.e floor seal.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

You must have parked next to a nuclear reactor.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

We sourced a brand new Polo 'match' last week - in stock in the colour we wanted (urano grey)
Got as far as placing a deposit, the the dealer then phoned and said "full disclosure, this one had a leak - but it's had all new carpets and we're just waiting on a couple of parts" :!:
Cancelled, not a chance I'm taking that car on. :?
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Post by Robby71 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am We sourced a brand new Polo 'match' last week - in stock in the colour we wanted (urano grey)
Got as far as placing a deposit, the the dealer then phoned and said "full disclosure, this one had a leak - but it's had all new carpets and we're just waiting on a couple of parts" :!:
Cancelled, not a chance I'm taking that car on. :?
At least if you bought that car you'd be assured it wouldn't leak again, buying another you might find it leaks then it'd be off the road while it was being repaired.

I've just had my 2019 golf fixed after finding water under the boot carpet and rear seat - it was the vents behind the rear bumper, 3 days at the dealers getting it sorted :(
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Robby71 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 pm At least if you bought that car you'd be assured it wouldn't leak again,
I wasn't assured of that at all.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

The good news for me is that it must now be a known issue so shouldn't take them a long time to justify where it's entering the cabin. My front driver side carpet seems to be lowered in the middle as I am assuming the sound deadening has deteriorated. It's definitely got worse lately as now there's a literal puddle of water (see it coming up each side of footwell depending on what way I'm turning. Do you think they will give me new carpets out of courtesy and if not if I ask will they give it to me under warranty?

I have also discovered that the water is warm when it enters because I took it to a small ford the other day after getting most of the water out, then noticed new water and it being warm. Must be coming in through the engine bay.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Update, they have told me that the water is from a incorrectly fitted air conditioning hose that is meant to drain water to the outside of the car. Does that sound correct? The amount of water I was getting especially when it rained. Unless they mean the gromet it goes through into the engine bay through the firewall was not correctly sealed as that would explain the soapy car wash water I get after washing.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Was gonna suggest sitting in the car and having someone pour water over it to identify cause of leak, hopefully it will now get sorted. Should stress the need for car mats to be 100% dry (well, duh) if even slightly wet they can stink up to the sky like you wouldn't believe....
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

The guy on the phone told me that they will fix the hose and then dry the carpets. I have sent them a message about needing new ones and underlay as the floor dips down on the driver side (as if the underlay has broken down. Do you think they will or am I asking too much lol
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:15 pm The guy on the phone told me that they will fix the hose and then dry the carpets. I have sent them a message about needing new ones and underlay as the floor dips down on the driver side (as if the underlay has broken down. Do you think they will or am I asking too much lol
IMO that’s not asking for too much at all. If it wasn’t for the water ingress, the underlay / soundproofing under the carpet wouldn’t have broken down. I think the dealer should be putting the car interior back to how it was before water ingress happened, and that should include replacing the underlay / soundproofing material.