Polo GTI Facelift Unveiled

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Polo GTI Facelift Unveiled

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

steeve wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 am I understood that the GTi would have a single exhaust each side, like the Golf GTi
Don't think that will be the case as they will have to modify the rear monocoque which would be too expensive since they use this platform for the pretty much all hatches under the VW group. Because of the size of the car the battery is placed in the boot and that is what stops the option of two single exit exhausts either side so I don't think that will happen. Very unfortunate though as I would prefer the Golf GTI style exhaust but its not meant to be I suppose.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:10 am I understood that the GTi would have a single exhaust each side, like the Golf GTi
Unlikely VW would do this - the main objective for VW of a facelift is to maintain customer interest and sales to the end of the model’s lifecycle at minimal cost. Usually, the external changes on VW’s facelifts are limited to a redesign of headlamps and tail lamps, bumpers, front grille and some new alloy wheel designs. They have gone further than this with the Polo’s facelift as the new rear light clusters have meant investing in producing a new tailgate skin pressing.

Interior-wise, the changes are largely borrowed from other VW models, so again minimal investment by VW in new Polo-specific interior parts. For the GTI, the new design of steering wheel is from the mk8 Golf, the revised tartan seat upholstery is from the mk8 Golf GTI, the buttonless HVAC control panel is from the facelift Arteon and Tiguan, the revised DSG selector also looks like the one used in the Tiguan, Infotainment screen with no knobs is from other VW models and updated tech / software is probably from the mk8 Golf. The GTI does get a new gloss red dash pad though (previously satin red).

If the facelift Polo does get the mk8 Golf’s software, I’m not sure that is a good thing. Currently, there are a large number of software gremlins in the Golf that VW seem to be having issues with fixing. For anyone considering buying a facelift Polo, it might be a good idea to wait a while before ordering to give VW a chance to fix the software issues.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am
If the facelift Polo does get the mk8 Golf’s software, I’m not sure that is a good thing. Currently, there are a large number of software gremlins in the Golf that VW seem to be having issues with fixing. For anyone considering buying a facelift Polo, it might be a good idea to wait a while before ordering to give VW a chance to fix the software issues.
+1 from me.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Is it pretty much the case that if it has the word POLO directly under the rear VW badge, it's the facelift?
If so, I've seen a few and any other changes must be so subtle as to be invisible to me.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:56 pm Is it pretty much the case that if it has the word POLO directly under the rear VW badge, it's the facelift?
If so, I've seen a few and any other changes must be so subtle as to be invisible to me.
No. The facelift Polo has been unveiled by VW but the order books aren’t open yet.

The last round of model year changes on the pre-facelift Polo included repositioning the ‘Polo’ badge under the VW emblem / hatch handle on the tailgate. The last of the pre-facelift Polo GTI’s also had the GTI badge repositioned under the VW emblem.

The easiest way to distinguish a facelift model from a pre-facelift one from the back is the rear lights, which now cut into the tailgate.

Pre-facelift;
3E5B2D81-3225-42E7-8ED3-0331BA487926.jpeg
3E5B2D81-3225-42E7-8ED3-0331BA487926.jpeg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Facelift;
381281C8-1EB4-4FE6-977F-E3EB6CDC5131.jpeg
381281C8-1EB4-4FE6-977F-E3EB6CDC5131.jpeg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 474 times