Rear brake light

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Rear brake light

Post by lancslad1985 »

I was wondering if anyone else had previously experienced issues with their brake lights? My wife’s United spec polo is 11 months old, done 2000 miles and it’s popped up a warning that left brake light is out. That seems very early for a brake light bulb to go on a brand new car.

Anyone else had the same issue?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Rear brake light

Post by SRGTD »

I suppose premature bulb failure can happen. Some years ago, I had an indicator bulb fail on a brand new car on the day I collected the car.

This article suggests brake light bulbs can fail at around 12 months, although I’ve owned cars for 4-5 years and never had to replace a brake light bulb.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/14/how ... 4mzx0QRKwZ
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just replace it. If it doesn't pop again for a few years, it was an unfortunate fluke. If it pops again within a few months, I'd say you have an electrical fault.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Did you have a look to see if the bulb was actually not working or did it happen and then the message disappeared and bulb is working? If so it could be there’s a loose connection, bulb is faulty or a software glitch. I’ve never owned a car where the rear light bulbs have died, usually the front ones go first.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Only happened yesterday so not had chance to take the bulb out and check. Got a couple of spare bulbs on with ECP so will take a look tomorrow morning. Does seem daft that the access to the lights has a little plastic lock but needs cutting round the perforation first time you want access. C’est la vie.