Taigo, the Polo's other sibling

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Taigo, the Polo's other sibling

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Thomas from Autogefühl reviews the Polo sibling here:

https://youtu.be/W3UCdRTfMec

I'd have to see it in the metal to form a real opinion but not a bad option and another alternative to the T-Cross.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Taigo, the Polo's other sibling

Post by RUM4MO »

The report I saw about it said it was aimed to be in between the T-Cross and the T-Roc - why would VW bother to do that unless they had too much money. It does look like a more pleasing car than the T-Cross, but is it justified while T-Cross and T-Roc exist.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:51 pm The report I saw about it said it was aimed to be in between the T-Cross and the T-Roc - why would VW bother to do that unless they had too much money. It does look like a more pleasing car than the T-Cross, but is it justified while T-Cross and T-Roc exist.
At the suggested start price with the high level spec, it’s practically the same cost as the T-roc. I can’t get my head round that as these cars will potentially cannibalise sales from each other.

But I also thought the convertible t-roc was a stupid idea and an ugly car, so what do I know?!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 am
RUM4MO wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:51 pm The report I saw about it said it was aimed to be in between the T-Cross and the T-Roc - why would VW bother to do that unless they had too much money. It does look like a more pleasing car than the T-Cross, but is it justified while T-Cross and T-Roc exist.
At the suggested start price with the high level spec, it’s practically the same cost as the T-roc. I can’t get my head round that as these cars will potentially cannibalise sales from each other.

But I also thought the convertible t-roc was a stupid idea and an ugly car, so what do I know?!
Agree.

There are also details on the VW UK website;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/taigo.html

IMO it’s just another pumped up Polo a.k.a T-Cross but slightly less practical with the sloping ‘coupe style’ rear. Not watched the YouTube video posted by @OomStu_ZA, but I can’t see it offers anything over the T-Cross, other than less headroom in the rear.

The dashboard and centre console are pretty much identical to the facelift Polo’s - I think you’d be hard pushed to tell the difference, other than if your were in the driver’s seat of the Tiago you’d be sitting higher than you would in the Polo.

Tiago R-Line;
0C6EA788-00D6-46E5-B6AE-556287F27E27.jpeg
0C6EA788-00D6-46E5-B6AE-556287F27E27.jpeg (103.3 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Polo R-Line;
452A0833-CFBD-4B26-9139-C9963557F4EB.jpeg
452A0833-CFBD-4B26-9139-C9963557F4EB.jpeg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
I also agree on the T-Roc convertible which seems to be a pointless, expensive design exercise. I’ve only ever seen one in the flesh and that was being used by a VAG salesman who lives near me.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

@SRGTD I think it’s worse now I’ve seen some videos. It looks almost like someone has put the polo in a photocopier and then expanded it. I don’t think it even looks that nice. Personally, the t-cross looks better.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I call this the "Shotgun" approach where manufacturers will try everything to get consumer attention and then stick with what sells.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:36 am I call this the "Shotgun" approach where manufacturers will try everything to get consumer attention and then stick with what sells.
No doubt it’ll sell to those customers that VW have identified as the target market for this type of vehicle - the younger potential T-Cross buyer who wants something a bit more ‘stylish’ and less chunky than a T-Cross.
lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:18 am @SRGTD I think it’s worse now I’ve seen some videos. It looks almost like someone has put the polo in a photocopier and then expanded it. I don’t think it even looks that nice. Personally, the t-cross looks better.
I can remember when BMW launched the X6 and it was reviewed on Top Gear. It was felt to be a bit pointless and offered nothing extra over and above the X5, other than less luggage space because of the sloping rear roofline. And IMO that sums up the Taigo; a bit pointless and offers nothing extra over and above the T-Cross.