GTi gone (woohoo!)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: GTi gone (woohoo!)

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:27 am Out of interest, is the ID3 limited?
The Leaf seems to be limited to around an indicated 97mph, which is a damned shame as it gets there pretty quick and is willing to do so much more.
The ID3 is apparently limited to 100mph, but I haven't taken it that far. Presumably limited to that because the amps drawn would overheat the wiring (higher amperage = higher resistance in the wiring)- presumably these 150mph EVs have some seriously big cross sectional wiring between battery array and drivetrain.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Some of my biking mates are luddites, droaning on about engine noise etc.
But some are coming around, especially when I showed them video of an electric drag bike the other night.
6 second 1/4 mile, 194 mph. :shock:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:07 pm Some of my biking mates are luddites, droaning on about engine noise etc.
But some are coming around, especially when I showed them video of an electric drag bike the other night.
6 second 1/4 mile, 194 mph. :shock:
What's the weight and range of an electric bike though? I'm imagining something resembling a Goldwing with 70% of its overall bulk being battery packs.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:59 pm What's the weight and range of an electric bike though? I'm imagining something resembling a Goldwing with 70% of its overall bulk being battery packs.
I'm only interested in sports bikes, not interested in going long distances on one.
But there are electric sports bikes out there that are doing 100-150 miles, and that's more than enough for a blast.
They are a bit heavier on paper, but sports bike manufacturers tend to mislead people anyway, quoting dry weight instead of wet etc.
So the gap probably isn't that much, for example an e-sports bikes will say 210kgs and a current ICE sports bike will say 176kgs (dry).

I can't wait to try one, I think there are nothing but positives for them.
I know some race track owners are counting the days until they're common and they csan open their tracks for business all day, rather than noise-restricted business hours.
Another bonus for track riding is that people can't crash through cocked up gearchanges, which happens a fair bit right now.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Colleague has a test drive IONIQ5
Wow... :!: 8) :shock:
I'm consoling myself with the fact it's way too big for my needs (it's HUGE) and £200 more than than the Leaf a month.
But cannot deny it's the nicest EV I've never seen in the flesh.
I also don't think I'd be able to resist making it look like a Delta Integrale! :D
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:11 pm Colleague has a test drive IONIQ5
Wow... :!: 8) :shock:
I'm consoling myself with the fact it's way too big for my needs (it's HUGE) and £200 more than than the Leaf a month.
But cannot deny it's the nicest EV I've never seen in the flesh.
I also don't think I'd be able to resist making it look like a Delta Integrale! :D
I also like this car, really liked to one on Wheeler Dealers, 'wine red' I think was the colour. If time, money and space weren't any issue I'd have me one of those, yes, a Golf or Polo GTi would likely be a more sensible purchase, but one likes what one likes and sometimes you gottta live a little....
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I’d buy an electric car were I buying today. However selling a 3.5 year old Polo, and buying an EV isn’t financially worthwhile, best run the Polo into the ground. Of course EVs are coming down in price each year.

The elephant in the room is taxation. Currently an EV avoids fuel duty, but as they become popular, so Mr Chancellor will look for ways to tax them. Perhaps in five years an EV will be a similar price to an ICE car, and the cost per mile will be similar due to taxation.

Regarding battery life, a single LiIon cell lasts for about 500 charge cycles. Naively assuming a 200 mile range, that gives a 100,000 mile life. In practice we’re seeing way better than that. Cars and other devices have battery management units that prevent complete discharge and complete charge - eg down to 20% and up to 80% - to greatly extend the life. For some battery chemistries, if you only discharge 20% a day (drive 50 miles say), and top up each night, you can get 9000 cycles from your cell, equating to 50 x 9000 = 450,000 miles. But if you do exhaust the battery each day, your batteries’ life could be much shorter. Apparently some Tesla batteries are lasting for 300,000 miles.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:55 pm Apparently some Tesla batteries are lasting for 300,000 miles.
Report the other day that Tesla batteries are averaging 93% after 200000 miles.
Plenty of older Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoes returning impressive health/mileage figures too.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:13 pm I also like this car, really liked to one on Wheeler Dealers, 'wine red' I think was the colour. If time, money and space weren't any issue I'd have me one of those, yes, a Golf or Polo GTi would likely be a more sensible purchase, but one likes what one likes and sometimes you gottta live a little....
Integrales are going for stupid money.
£80K for a really good one isn't uncommon.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Saw allegedly accurate 'artists impressions' of the ID2 last night on twitter.
As much as I like my EVs to be distinctive and not to be confused with ICE cars, VW seem to be going down the 'quirky' route. :?
Their idea of EVs seems to be what the director of space1999 thought cars of the future would look like.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 am Saw allegedly accurate 'artists impressions' of the ID2 last night on twitter.
As much as I like my EVs to be distinctive and not to be confused with ICE cars, VW seem to be going down the 'quirky' route. :?
Their idea of EVs seems to be what the director of space1999 thought cars of the future would look like.
It’ll probably look similar to one of the renderings below, but it’s all speculative at this stage until VW issue official pictures or until undisguised cars are spotted by the media while they’re being tested. Having said that, I dare say there’ll be design cues from some of these renders in the production version.

I’ve read that the ID.2 may be a mini SUV, in which case it’ll probably be more like the turquoise and blue renders and be a similar size to the T-Cross. If it follows the styling of the the ID.3 then it’ll probably look similar to the grey render. IMO yellow render is the least likely to be an accurate representation, based on VW’s usual approach to car design but who knows?
2E37D16C-A7FA-4CA5-90A5-7EF23557CFBB.jpeg
2E37D16C-A7FA-4CA5-90A5-7EF23557CFBB.jpeg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 869 times
D004F70D-40FA-4F07-B96A-3210F4388688.jpeg
D004F70D-40FA-4F07-B96A-3210F4388688.jpeg (60 KiB) Viewed 869 times
E83755FE-BEE2-4B66-A02F-0F88AD4301D4.jpeg
E83755FE-BEE2-4B66-A02F-0F88AD4301D4.jpeg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 869 times
A5F833C7-288D-471B-B3AE-E7916B5FC722.jpeg
A5F833C7-288D-471B-B3AE-E7916B5FC722.jpeg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 869 times
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The yellow one looks a lot like the ID4. I don't like SUVs, and the small ones look more ridiculous than the big ones.

As "quirky" goes, I do think that ID3 and 4 aren't that quirky. They've moved away from ICE dimensions slightly, and as a result, they're not wasting any potential space by incorporating a long bonnet for convention.- the MK2 Leaf does that (as does the polestar)- to look at a Leaf, its not hard to imagine a 1.6 engine under the bonnet. That's a lot of potential room wasted. The ID3 manages to fit in as much interior space as a Passat/A4, the blue Leaf at the end of the street looks pretty small.inside, marginally smaller than a Golf. As more and more "ground-up" designed EVs come to be, I expect many will seriously reduce the bonnet length to maximise interior space with the smallest foot print.

As there are more on the road, you'll become normalised to them. While undoubtedly a little ugly next to a MK7 Golf, I don't see the MK8 as hideous anymore.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:56 am The yellow one looks a lot like the ID4. I don't like SUVs, and the small ones look more ridiculous than the big ones.

As "quirky" goes, I do think that ID3 and 4 aren't that quirky. They've moved away from ICE dimensions slightly, and as a result, they're not wasting any potential space by incorporating a long bonnet for convention.- the MK2 Leaf does that (as does the polestar)- to look at a Leaf, its not hard to imagine a 1.6 engine under the bonnet. That's a lot of potential room wasted. The ID3 manages to fit in as much interior space as a Passat/A4, the blue Leaf at the end of the street looks pretty small.inside, marginally smaller than a Golf. As more and more "ground-up" designed EVs come to be, I expect many will seriously reduce the bonnet length to maximise interior space with the smallest foot print.

As there are more on the road, you'll become normalised to them. While undoubtedly a little ugly next to a MK7 Golf, I don't see the MK8 as hideous anymore.
The longer bonnet of the Leaf is partly down to the front charging port which, as you know, I'm a big fan of.
Plenty of room in it, too much for my needs if I'm honest and the likes of a Honda-E would actually do me fine in terms of space.
No idea how a Polo and Golf compare in terms of space these days, but the Leaf is considerably roomier than the Polo - the kids remarked on that first time they sat in the back.

The ID2 renderings were in autoexpress and twitter people were saying auto express usually gets 100% accurate 'leaks' from the manufacturers themselves.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:25 pm The ID2 renderings were in autoexpress and twitter people were saying auto express usually gets 100% accurate 'leaks' from the manufacturers themselves.
IMO Auto Express renderings are usually woefully inaccurate. If they get 100% accurate ‘leaks’ then historically, they’ve not been very good at translating those leaks into an accurate representation of the vehicle it’s meant to portray.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:24 pm

IMO Auto Express renderings are usually woefully inaccurate. If they get 100% accurate ‘leaks’ then historically, they’ve not been very good at translating those leaks into an accurate representation of the vehicle it’s meant to portray.
Fair play, my experience of car mags is restricted to waiting rooms.