GTi gone (woohoo!)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: GTi gone (woohoo!)

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:46 pm My point is that with more EVs, such lowlifes will be rubbing their hands with glee at acquiring the charge cables. Thing is, de-sleeved cable can be sold at scrappies, for cash, no questions asked, same with catalytic convertors, not supposed to be, but it is. Strange world we live in....
I've obviously no idea how much force would be needed to overcome (break) the cable lock on my Leaf, but it must be a fair bit.
I'd think enough to set the alarm off.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Most admit I was bit anti EV but after test driving the MG 5 it’s won me over. I intend to say goodbye to the Polo next spring and get my first EV which model I haven’t decided on just yet. But as soon you drive a EV you do catch the bug for one.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:47 pm Most admit I was bit anti EV but after test driving the MG 5 it’s won me over. I intend to say goodbye to the Polo next spring and get my first EV which model I haven’t decided on just yet. But as soon you drive a EV you do catch the bug for one.
You certainly do catch the bug.
The MGs are very highly rated, I just can't get past the somewhat 'odd' looks.
The Leaf used to be equally odd, but it's pretty mainstream looking now.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

@monkeyhanger

I've just been offered membership of Octopus GO FASTER tariff.

3 hours at 4.5p
or
4 hours at 5p
or
5 hours at 5.5p

Same possible start times for each one, starting at 2030.
I'll probably go for the 4 hours at 5p, as that will give me 28KWh and that's enough as I don't intend running the battery down low.
The 5 hour one would give me 35Kwh and that would mean running the battery really low to benefit.
And I'll go for 2030 start time so other electrical stuff can benefit, rather than the 0030 start time I have now.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:59 pm @monkeyhanger

I've just been offered membership of Octopus GO FASTER tariff.

3 hours at 4.5p
or
4 hours at 5p
or
5 hours at 5.5p

Same possible start times for each one, starting at 2030.
I'll probably go for the 4 hours at 5p, as that will give me 28KWh and that's enough as I don't intend running the battery down low.
The 5 hour one would give me 35Kwh and that would mean running the battery really low to benefit.
And I'll go for 2030 start time so other electrical stuff can benefit, rather than the 0030 start time I have now.
I intended to pester Octopus for GO Faster. At least at 2030 I could run the dishwasher and tumble dryer off it and a bit of lighting/TV.. 4 hours a night is more than enough for us. 4 hours give about 110 miles per charge. Each ID3 gets on charge twice a week.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Steve_2019 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:47 pm Most admit I was bit anti EV but after test driving the MG 5 it’s won me over. I intend to say goodbye to the Polo next spring and get my first EV which model I haven’t decided on just yet. But as soon you drive a EV you do catch the bug for one.
What was it you particularly liked about the MG5? Do you want/need an estate car? For the occupants (definitely not the boot) , our ID3 has more room than the outgoing A4 Avant that it replaced. The boot's marginally bigger than that of a Golf. The MG5 reminds me of an older Passat estate. Its very traditional looking inside (knobs and buttons rather than touch-haptics).
Not sure how it would drive as fwd rather than rwd. The fwd eGolf Ihad as a courtesy car whole getting a warranty software upgrade was a bit crap compared to the rwd ID3. It took very little throttle to spin up the front wheels vs being able to floor the ID3 without issue.

The ID3 is pretty reasonable on DTD right now, still dearer than a discounted MG5, but residuals are much better for ID3. The MG is available with 0% finance though.

The time to be getting rid of your Polo might be now, if you can ride this wave of inflated used prices to either sell now or lock in a better than you were expecting part ex price while you wait for your order.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Mentioned the EV discussion to a colleague and he reminded me both (old) Top Gear & 5th Gear tested EVs. TG were pretty light hearted, Clarkson & May knocking on doors "can we have some electricty please ?", 5th Gear apparently took the subject more seriously, but one of the programmes said "a reseacher used on of the EVs commuting to work, 35/40 miles, and barely made it, even with radio, air-con, etc turned off". I do vaugely recall both programmes, but more topical he has the current ish of WhatCar? magazine which carries a feature on EVs, he's gonna lend it to me, will be an interesting read I'm sure. Other car magazines are available....
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

stevereeves wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:39 am Mentioned the EV discussion to a colleague and he reminded me both (old) Top Gear & 5th Gear tested EVs. TG were pretty light hearted, Clarkson & May knocking on doors "can we have some electricty please ?", 5th Gear apparently took the subject more seriously, but one of the programmes said "a reseacher used on of the EVs commuting to work, 35/40 miles, and barely made it, even with radio, air-con, etc turned off". I do vaugely recall both programmes, but more topical he has the current ish of WhatCar? magazine which carries a feature on EVs, he's gonna lend it to me, will be an interesting read I'm sure. Other car magazines are available....
35-40 miles on a full charge? Presuming that was pretty old, first gen Leaf or similar I'm presuming with something like 20kWh capacity on the battery?

My ID3 will do a realistic 215 miles doing 75mph on the motorway in the Summer (I did almost 190 miles with an indicated 36 miles left, but wouldn't want to take it down to 5 miles) on a full charge and 250 miles around the doors (official range = 263 miles). I'm expecting a 20% drop on those figures in the Winter, with battery pre-heating and huge of lights/heating by ventilation or heated seats.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

stevereeves wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:39 am Mentioned the EV discussion to a colleague and he reminded me both (old) Top Gear & 5th Gear tested EVs. TG were pretty light hearted, Clarkson & May knocking on doors "can we have some electricty please ?", 5th Gear apparently took the subject more seriously, but one of the programmes said "a reseacher used on of the EVs commuting to work, 35/40 miles, and barely made it, even with radio, air-con, etc turned off". I do vaugely recall both programmes, but more topical he has the current ish of WhatCar? magazine which carries a feature on EVs, he's gonna lend it to me, will be an interesting read I'm sure. Other car magazines are available....
This just shows how quickly things have advanced if anything. You can do those miiles using the battery alone in a hybrid V6 Bentley Benteyga and that's a posh house on wheels
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I can't imagine what EV the TG guy was driving to only get 35/40 miles.
They're lying for effect or something was wrong.
I once got into a bit of a race in my 24KWh Leaf (private test track of course) and was keen to show a Leaf can be hustled, which they can of course.
Absolutely foot to the floor doing +90mph for miles with hard braking and hard acceleration in between and I still got more than 35/40 miles (normal range around 90 miles).

BTW with regard to FWD in an EV, the Leaf is FWD and there's no traction problems at all.
Floor the throttle, no wheelspin just acceleration, wet or dry - no flashing TC lights either.
The choice of wife's EV may be dictated by which wheels are driven, as RWD isn't ideal for winter (although winter tyres obviously help).
I believe the Nissan Ariya will be FWD in starter models and 4x4 in fancier ones.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

It was a mk1 leaf and something else and they got 100ish miles not 35. But that was pretty accurate back then as it was a while ago.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:16 pm

I intended to pester Octopus for GO Faster. At least at 2030 I could run the dishwasher and tumble dryer off it and a bit of lighting/TV.. 4 hours a night is more than enough for us. 4 hours give about 110 miles per charge. Each ID3 gets on charge twice a week.
Do you have a 7KW charger?
So four hours is giving you 28KW?
I'd have to modify my driving to get 4KW per mile regularly, I'm getting about 3kw per mile on my commute (which as you know is flat out up a steep dual carriageway)
I can get 4kw per mile no problem around town.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Do you have a 7KW charger?
So four hours is giving you 28KW?
I'd have to modify my driving to get 4KW per mile regularly, I'm getting about 3kw per mile on my commute (which as you know is flat out up a steep dual carriageway)
I can get 4kw per mile no problem around town.
Yes, I have an Ohme. I can plug it in and simply select not to charge above 5p per kWh, and it does it (on set up I told it of my supplier and tariff).

I get around 4 miles per kWh average - 3.6/3.7 on Motorway and about 4.2 around the doors- and I put my foot down quite a bit.

So where's this 'private track' you go for miles on at 90+ miles per hour? 🤔 that's a good few circuits of knockhill. :lol:

I once took my boss' Ford Granada Cosworth up to 136mph in 1993 to see what it would do. There was more there, but I bottled it for fear of being seen by a Police car. That car was a beast back then. No private track for me, it was the M3. Wouldn't dare do that now we're a big brother state with all those cameras.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:56 am
So where's this 'private track' you go for miles on at 90+ miles per hour? 🤔 that's a good few circuits of knockhill. :lol:
It had a remarkable resemblence to a dual carriageway near me, maybe had the same designer.
Funny you should mention Knockhill, I've literally done thousands of laps of that place.
Mostly on motorbikes, but also in a rented transit van.
Staying overnight in the paddock in the 90s when they just relied on 'good will' that you wouldn't go on the track at night.
Guys in their 20s, rented vans etc.

Last blast of the GTi had just over 130mph on the clock on the same private test track.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Out of interest, is the ID3 limited?
The Leaf seems to be limited to around an indicated 97mph, which is a damned shame as it gets there pretty quick and is willing to do so much more.