Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

Order books are open for the facelift Polo range but quite often with VW, being able to order the performance model in the range is from a later date. When the pre facelift Polo was launched, order books opened in Q4 2017 for non-GTI models, and in Q1 2018 for the GTI/GTI+. The facelift Polo GTI has now been added to the configurator on VW’s website, so that suggests it’s only a matter of time before it will be possible to order one.

A 6-8 month wait isn’t unusual for a factory order in ‘normal’ times, but with semiconductors continuing to be in short supply and having quite an adverse impact on car production (not just VW; pretty much all car manufacturers are affected), I’d say a wait time of 6-8 months is being optimistic. Just to put the 6-8 month wait time into perspective; the wait time for a new performance Golf in ‘normal’ times is probably 4-6 months, but forum members on some of the Golf forums are currently being quoted a wait of around 12 months or longer for a new factory order.
Manclad
New
Drives: GTi +

Post by Manclad »

Absolutely. When I bought my GTi + we discussed the facelift and he said optimistically that 18 months for the facelift would be likely in the circumstances. Long way from SA at the best of times. Unbelievable if they increase price on it again in December. How high can they go as the price is getting close to bigger and faster cars!
sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

Thanks for this. Guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Manclad wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:58 pm Absolutely. When I bought my GTi + we discussed the facelift and he said optimistically that 18 months for the facelift would be likely in the circumstances. Long way from SA at the best of times. Unbelievable if they increase price on it again in December. How high can they go as the price is getting close to bigger and faster cars!

This ^^, was why I went for another Golf, literally a few pounds difference and way quicker new-build delivery time; weeks rather as opposed to months. Don't make sense, bigger cars are supposed to be more expensive, faster, arguably better & more luxurious though it depends on ones opinion, but the spec / quality / prices Golf : Polo getting very similar. The Golf is a bit bigger and what I'm used to, save the new-fangled touch screens, menus, etc though you do soon get used to them. Speaking personally, if the Golf didn't exist, easy choice Polo - all the way....
Jakeyw
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Jakeyw »

I've ordered one, was considering a BMW 2 series too, but they butchered it. Test drove a Golf GTI which was a weapon, but had a go in the Polo afterwards and it just put a massive smile on my face. I liked the noise, smaller form factor and yeah a fair bit cheaper. Excited! 9 month wait time apparently though :shock:
sirwolfie
New

Post by sirwolfie »

Jakeyw wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 pm I've ordered one, was considering a BMW 2 series too, but they butchered it. Test drove a Golf GTI which was a weapon, but had a go in the Polo afterwards and it just put a massive smile on my face. I liked the noise, smaller form factor and yeah a fair bit cheaper. Excited! 9 month wait time apparently though :shock:
Was the test drive in a facelift Polo GTI? Wasn't aware any were available for test drives. what colour/options did you spec?

9 months wait, could be dead and buried by then :D
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Did you manage any discount? What colour and options did you go for. When I looked only white came with red dash as every other colour came with grey dash- good or bad depending on your perspective of course 👍
Jakeyw
New

Post by Jakeyw »

Sorry yeah I test drove the old model. I went with deep black Pearl, heated seats and a rear view camera, deep iron gloss on the interior. Wasn’t a fan of the gloss red, but you can spec red with any colour. Liked the design on the 17s. Got a 1k discount plus a deposit contribution of 750 from vw finance.
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing the pictures when it eventually arrives. Well done on the discount. Not easy to get anything out of dealers at the moment I bet!
Jakeyw
New

Post by Jakeyw »

Yep I’ll certainly post a load up. Thanks yeah a bit of back and forth, fortunately had a nice salesperson. I’d have walked if they’d not done something satisfactory. Plenty of dealers around.
sirwolfie
New

Post by sirwolfie »

Jakeyw wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:24 pm Sorry yeah I test drove the old model. I went with deep black Pearl, heated seats and a rear view camera, deep iron gloss on the interior. Wasn’t a fan of the gloss red, but you can spec red with any colour. Liked the design on the 17s. Got a 1k discount plus a deposit contribution of 750 from vw finance.
Good choice👍.

The GTI is for my daughter who is changing up from the Polo R line. Deep pearl black or the new Kings red are her preferred colours at the moment along with reverse camera and the Beats audio. Not convinced about the Kings red nor do I have any knowledge on the Beats audio system. Any opinions either way please.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

sirwolfie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:30 am
Jakeyw wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:24 pm Sorry yeah I test drove the old model. I went with deep black Pearl, heated seats and a rear view camera, deep iron gloss on the interior. Wasn’t a fan of the gloss red, but you can spec red with any colour. Liked the design on the 17s. Got a 1k discount plus a deposit contribution of 750 from vw finance.
Good choice👍.

The GTI is for my daughter who is changing up from the Polo R line. Deep pearl black or the new Kings red are her preferred colours at the moment along with reverse camera and the Beats audio. Not convinced about the Kings red nor do I have any knowledge on the Beats audio system. Any opinions either way please.
I find Kings Red to be a bit of a ‘marmite’ colour as to my eyes it actually looks more of a copper colour than it does red in certain lighting conditions. I’ve posted a couple of pictures (‘stolen’ from golfgtiforum.co.uk) that show how it can appear to be two completely different colours. I think it looks good in the second of the two pictures but in my opinion Kings Red isn’t well suited to a GTI when it takes on a copper coloured hue. Conversely, Flash Red that was offered on the pre-facelift model was, in my opinion, a colour that suited the GTI well, and was probably the reason VW used it for most of their launch pictures and show cars for the pre-facelift GTI (it was also the free colour on the GTI).

I don’t have the Beats audio system, but I’ve read that it is quite heavily base-biased, so probably fine if bass-heavy music is your thing or you like listening to music at ‘ear-bleeding’ volumes (that’s not for me these days as I’m too old for that! 😃). However, bear in mind that with the Polo having hard plastic door cards, there’s probably an increased risk of rattles and vibrations from the door cards with the Beats system - especially with the volume tuned up. I did have the upgraded Dynaudio sound system in a previous VW I owned (mk6 Golf GTD) and was a little underwhelmed by it, but a car isn’t the best environment for listening to music - too many unwanted noise sources (engine, tyres, wind, passengers etc.). I’m satisfied with the standard system in my car (pre-facelift GTI+); these days I listen mainly to digital radio and I find the DAB sound quality is pretty good, but you are relying on the digital signal being strong so it doesn’t drop off.

Just my opinion though. Here are the pictures I mentioned above;

3B7EB883-0420-42B1-89CA-5903F2AA7F9E.jpeg
3B7EB883-0420-42B1-89CA-5903F2AA7F9E.jpeg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
23B38EBA-5AF9-4F13-9885-4337FD0ABFD6.jpeg
23B38EBA-5AF9-4F13-9885-4337FD0ABFD6.jpeg (104.79 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
sirwolfie
New

Post by sirwolfie »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 am
sirwolfie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:30 am
Good choice👍.

I find Kings Red to be a bit of a ‘marmite’ colour as to my eyes it actually looks more of a copper colour than it does red in certain lighting conditions. I’ve posted a couple of pictures (‘stolen’ from golfgtiforum.co.uk) that show how it can appear to be two completely different colours. I think it looks good in the second of the two pictures but in my opinion Kings Red isn’t well suited to a GTI when it takes on a copper coloured hue. Conversely, Flash Red that was offered on the pre-facelift model was, in my opinion, a colour that suited the GTI well, and was probably the reason VW used it for most of their launch pictures and show cars for the pre-facelift GTI (it was also the free colour on the GTI).

I don’t have the Beats audio system, but I’ve read that it is quite heavily base-biased, so probably fine if bass-heavy music is your thing or you like listening to music at ‘ear-bleeding’ volumes (that’s not for me these days as I’m too old for that! 😃). However, bear in mind that with the Polo having hard plastic door cards, there’s probably an increased risk of rattles and vibrations from the door cards with the Beats system - especially with the volume tuned up. I did have the upgraded Dynaudio sound system in a previous VW I owned (mk6 Golf GTD) and was a little underwhelmed by it, but a car isn’t the best environment for listening to music - too many unwanted noise sources (engine, tyres, wind, passengers etc.). I’m satisfied with the standard system in my car (pre-facelift GTI+); these days I listen mainly to digital radio and I find the DAB sound quality is pretty good, but you are relying on the digital signal being strong so it doesn’t drop off.

SRGTD, Many thanks for this, much appreciated.
Tend to agree with you on the first picture. I have seen the Kings Red on a few Youtube videos and though it was just ok. Not convinced it suits the GTI but colour is subjective. I will try to get my daughter to hear the Beats audio before she makes any decision. Personally, I think I would prefer the heated seats. :D

For those interested the best deal I have found so far is Coast2Coast who are offering an 11% discount inclusive of the £750 dealer contribution.

Fun times ahead :D
dash09
New
Drives: 2021 AW GTI

Post by dash09 »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:38 am Received this reply from VW SA this morning upon my enquiry:

Capture.JPG
Can confirm this, we didn't receive the 7 speed box as far as I know. Bought mine mid august, since the company I work for is part of vw I ordered from factory and local production had already stopped. Mine has the 2021 updates like badging and type c ports all round, regular 6 speed box and 147kw though. Would have liked to get the facelift, the factory did offer it to me, but with no eta or pricing I settled on the aw
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

dash09 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:52 am
OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:38 am Received this reply from VW SA this morning upon my enquiry:

Capture.JPG
Can confirm this, we didn't receive the 7 speed box as far as I know. Bought mine mid august, since the company I work for is part of vw I ordered from factory and local production had already stopped. Mine has the 2021 updates like badging and type c ports all round, regular 6 speed box and 147kw though. Would have liked to get the facelift, the factory did offer it to me, but with no eta or pricing I settled on the aw
Yeah there is no motivation for me to change cars just yet then, no benifit either. I cant stand the new touch environment (no buttons) in the cabin and that clown face steering wheel is just hideous. Think next time round it's T-ROC for me.