Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

Post by littlepolo »

Went to an AC service shop this morning. They found 70g in the system vs. the required 550g. In the nine years and four months I have owned the vehicle the AC was never topped up. I doubt it was by the previous owner (who I know) either. How it worked until recently is a mystery. Difficult to recall how cold it was when operating earlier in the spring though I suspect not very.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Good result, just as well you didn't try to feed it with these small gas + oil cans from Halfords.

I keep meaning to check the cooling performance in both our cars, I did it 2 years ago, but it sounds like I've been too lazy to continue as I intended!

I've got the gear to do that manifold/gauges temperature probe and some R134A, I just need to get going on a hot day as doing it then can really force a heavy and long load onto the chiller.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

It would have been more expensive to fill from cans even if I could have got the charge in.

Would one of those cheap gauges be good enough to keep an eye on the low pressure side?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Right away I'll admit that before I bought a proper set of manifold gauges, auto chiller line adaptors and a container of R134A, I bought probably a basic gauge/filler adaptor for one of these Halfords type of tins of R134A+Oil - all from Halfords, and found that I could not fit the push-on hose adaptor to the low side of any of my cars, so gave that idea up - until after I had successfully used proper metal hose end adaptors, then managed to force that bottle/line adaptor on to a car.

To be honest, using a thermometer on the centre vents is a far better way to assess the condition of the system as a whole - ie check that it can chill to the desired level as using a low pressure push-on gauge does that tell you much if you don't know what the high side pressure is.

As you probably know, checking the "standing charge pressure" of a fridge system will not tell you much until the gas load has all but leaked out but which time the chilling will be zero.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

It seems less of an issue now temps have dropped to high teens. I'll try the thermometer trick when I can brave the cold blast.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Still picking up the following code:

01596 - Motor for Outside/Recirculated Air Flap (V154)
41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent.
DuduDeBdx
New
Drives: POLO 9N 1.2

Post by DuduDeBdx »

Hello Mister K.I.T.T.

Your post is very interesting but I'm not able to see picture attached to you first post dated Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:05 pm.

I'm currently trying to replace the V68 servomotor but I'm facing some difficulties to remove the current one.

Will it be possible for you to deliver to me original pictures?

Many thanks.
Bikergonebald
New
Drives: 2004 1.2 Twist

Post by Bikergonebald »

Hi Guys,

I need some help on this one as well.

I have replaced the V68 flap motor twice (both times with used parts) as well as doing the pikey fix before that. I also replaced the part on the dash with the control knobs. Each time it seems to have fixed it but on the next journey it fails again if the temperature is adjusted, it won't go cold again. Re-starting the car does sometimes let it go back to cold. Once my son passed his test i didn't care because i was never in the car, now i'm teachin my daughter and it's driving me mad.

My questions are a little more specific now.
1. Can the V154 motor cause the problem of it staying hot or will that only stop it switching between re-circulated and external air?
2. The VCDS fault code refers to "open or Short to B+ - Intermittent" or something like that, i'm going from memory. Has anyone known the fault to be related to the wiring harness rather than the motor?
3. I've never had to take the dash out, i just remove the cover from the lower centre console and take the glove box out to access the motor from there. Is it the V154 motor that requires dash removal?
4. How do i make sure i buy the correct motors, i got it wrong once before. My car has climatic controls.

Any help would be appreciated before i change the V68 motor again.

Thanks
Kevin.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

If you had/have read the part numbers off the original faulty temperature flap motor assembly you would have ended up buying the correct one, so did you do that?

The recirc flap motor assembly, I'm sure that in the past I've ended up working out that that flap motor operates 2 flaps or functions, as when I've had that fail, the air distribution was terrible heading for non existent, but I'm not sure if that has cleared anything up.

Bottom line, the temperature flap motor assembly should only be allowing "blending" of incoming air with HOT or COLD air within the heater air box.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Cannot recall the details (probably in one of my earlier posts) but I decided against the fix and a used unit, not wanting the hassle of swapping out before time. I found a Hella part which seems to be doing the job nicely since installed a couple or more years ago.
Bikergonebald
New

Post by Bikergonebald »

I'm having trouble identifying the correct part for my cars V68 motor, i got it wrong twice before and hope to get it right this time. My car is a 2004 1.2 12V with climatic control. The VIN number is 9NZ4Y039613

An ebay seller told me i need 6Q0907511 but they didn't have it. I see that there is a similar part number 6Q0907511C. I've searched for both items but regardless of which part number some have a rectangular plug socket and some have oval. My car is oval.

I want to get the part number so i can order the part before taking the car apart, even if i did take it apart to get the part number it is likely to be wrong because when i changed it previously i got a replacement that was right except for the gear so i used my old gear.

So can anyone tell me for sure which part number has the oval plug. I looked at a site that sells the Hella item but they didn't show one without the C at the end of the part number.

Thanks
Kevin
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

What year is the Polo?

Mine is a Sept 2002 and has the oval plug.

I used 6Q0907511 as the p/n to get the Hella item.
Bikergonebald
New

Post by Bikergonebald »

Mine is 2004.
I found some Hella motors and other brands on car parts websites using that part number but there was a mix of square and oval plugs shown in the pictures. They all said the part was compatible with my car.
I asked a VW breaker and he told me VW used the same part number for both types which is unusual and confusing.

Where did you buy your Hella part from?

Since I unplugged mine to see what type of plug it was it has been working ok again.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Purchased online. From a VW spares supplier's Website.

So you have an earlier Polo with the oval plug?
Billp
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 2003

Post by Billp »

Hi - I have followed the replacement and repair process that is described - which is excellent. I now have the motor working better than it was. However - if I watch the motor and operate the heater control I note that the motor only moves between the coldest setting and the 22 setting, between the 22 and hottest setting there is no movement in either direction when above 22. At 22 the heat from the vents feels about as hot as it's going to get. By turning the heating control back to somewhere around 18 - 20 the motor again moves and colder air is blown (not the coldest but about right for the temperature shown.

~Would this suggest the motor is knackered or that the potentiometer is knackered?