HELP.......No Connection to ABS module VAGCOM

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
MarkWilliams
New
Drives: 1.9 Gt Tdi 130pd

HELP.......No Connection to ABS module VAGCOM

Post by MarkWilliams »

So, I've got a 05 plate Gt TDI 130pd and my ABS light is on with the 3 beeps. I've connected a VAGCOM I got from work and there says there is no connection to ABS controller. I've replaced the controller 3 times and also replaced the module and pump but still nothing. All fuses have been checked. I've had all the brakes done front and back including a clean of the calipers and the hand brake sorted as it's been sat for a while. Can anyone help PLEASE.

Thanks Mark
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: HELP.......No Connection to ABS module VAGCOM

Post by littlepolo »

Silly question but does VCDS work otherwise? I'm assuming you are using a proper cable.

When you say all fuses have been checked, have you done a continuity test/replaced any?

Have you checked the wiring?
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

Hi, yeah all fuses have been tested. The VAGCOM is working correctly as it's from the mechanics at work. The wiring was the next step but I'm conscious of how much of a pain it might be. I didnt know if anyone else has had the same problem that had an obscure remedy. Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Done the fuses on the battery too I assume?
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

Yeah. There is power getting to the controller but just doesn't want to be found by the VAGCOM. Going to get the wiring diagram for the ECU to the ABS controller and check those tomoro. Just need to find the diagram lol
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

So, all wires seem fine, power is getting to the module. What am I doing wrong/ what else could it be?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

When Polo's get to this age they can do strange things electrically. I've had odd things happen, particularly in humid conditions. Any other electrical gremlins at all?
Any other codes?
Has anything else changed at all (e.g. stereo)?

Have you tested the pump motor alone (comparison between old and new)?
Can you access other modules with VCDS?
You said you checked the wiring - including grounds (e.g under battery tray)?
Battery cables firmly secured?
Brake fluid level OK?
Defective wheel speed sensor?
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

I've removed the stereo as it was an after market one. Checked all fuses and earth points, I've tried 4 different abs modules and 2 different abs pumps. The front brakes were replaced as were the rears. The brake wear sensor keeps beeping which is odd as they are new. The brake fluid level is topped up but still no luck.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

You've checked the wiring under the battery box?
Have you tried an ECU reset? (doubt that it will work but possibly worth a try)

Not sure if the brake wear sensor affects ABS but it could be an indication of gremlins. To give you an example of some I experienced, the rear fog lamp and warning lamp comes on when I turn on the sidelights (the rear n/a sidelight comes on, but the rear o/s does not). Front n/s window goes down when I push the Front o/s, etc. This tends to happen more with humidity on the air so I think is indicative of moisture getting into the wiring/electrics and causing problems.
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

So the lights are still there after a full wire check, the abs light, the brake wear sensor light, power steering light and the red flashing handbrake indicator light after 3 beeps. I'm at a loss of what to do next.

What did your gremlins stem from?

Thanks
littlepolo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:50 am You've checked the wiring under the battery box?
Have you tried an ECU reset? (doubt that it will work but possibly worth a try)

Not sure if the brake wear sensor affects ABS but it could be an indication of gremlins. To give you an example of some I experienced, the rear fog lamp and warning lamp comes on when I turn on the sidelights (the rear n/a sidelight comes on, but the rear o/s does not). Front n/s window goes down when I push the Front o/s, etc. This tends to happen more with humidity on the air so I think is indicative of moisture getting into the wiring/electrics and causing problems.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Never got to the bottom of the problem with gremlins. I'm putting it in for investigation once I get other more pressing problems sorted. I expect it will be explainable (damaged wire or something like that).
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

littlepolo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:26 pm Never got to the bottom of the problem with gremlins. I'm putting it in for investigation once I get other more pressing problems sorted. I expect it will be explainable (damaged wire or something like that).
Did you get this all sorted in the end?

I've had to have time away from it and have just managed to get back to taking a look. Was hoping for some inspiration.
I do feel like i'll be fighting a losing battle
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Not yet. I have some pressing work to do prior to the MOT next month. Once that is sorted I'll ask the garage to have a look at the gremlins. It's a time sink and I cannot spend any more time on it myself.
MarkWilliams
New

Post by MarkWilliams »

SUCCESS

Finally got the correct wiring diagram for the car and found the culprit of ALL the issues.

It was a single wire between the fuse box on top of the battery and the Cambus. 30p worth or wire and tape and ALL the faults disappeared.

The Polo is now officially back on the road after 5 years of being broken (only 1 year under my ownership) but now glad she can finally scare the crap out of me and my wife whist driving around the Cotswolds.

Thanks to all who have helped and I hope this will help others in the future.

Mark
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Good to year you solved it. Congratulations, good job. Winner takes it all.