Throttle Body Alignment

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Adamsnake
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 16V

Throttle Body Alignment

Post by Adamsnake »

Hi gang,

Bought a new throttlebody as I thought my old was was naffed when I cleaned it.

I have a VCDS cable, I am right in saying this is the correct way for a 1.4 petrol VW Polo process?

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]

It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.

Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.

It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen. Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.

Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.

It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Throttle Body Alignment

Post by RUM4MO »

That sounds right, why not also do the same for the EGR valve, and even for the climate control flap motors.

Edit:- note down the original end stop voltages for any thing first to make sure that these parts are still moving well.
Adamsnake
New

Post by Adamsnake »

To be honest, I didnt even know the EGR / others could.

I know the had an error code for the EGR ill give them a try thanks!
Adamsnake
New

Post by Adamsnake »

Checking the EGR looks great originally past the first test, when trying to re do it failed. So confirms the EGR is busted.

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Did you satisfy the requirements prior to starting to re-adapt that EGR valve, I seem to remember that there is a minimum temperature or maximum temperature requirement before starting a re-adaption - I could be wrong there though, also maybe you need to run that adaption routine a few times before coming to conclusions.
Adamsnake
New

Post by Adamsnake »

Yes, I did orginally following the Ross-Tech instructions and it brought an error.

I left it over night and re-did it and voila it worked, keeping an eye if that EML pops up again cheers.

FYI - anyone wanting to do this follow this -

EGR - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... Adaptation

TB -

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]

It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen. Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!
SuperDuke
New
Drives: 2005 Polo Twist 1.4 9N

Post by SuperDuke »

Hello,

I have a 2005 Polo Twist 1.4lt

It has the typical throttle body fault. (in limp home)

I have tried to use VCDS to perform an adaption BUT it always says ADP OK. (VCDS works for all other things, its an official version etc)

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]

I cannot get it to ever go to ADP RUN it always remains at "ADP OK"
Engine was at temperature. Fans kicking in etc.

I have checked the wiring from ECU to throttle, all seems OK.(basic continuity, not checked resistance)
I have powered the motor which I can get to open and close the throttle, so the motor seems to work.
I removed and cleaned all the parts.
Taken off battery and ECU, tried to force an adaption. Disconnected and reconnected, wiggled wires, hit it ... etc
I have checked I can read a changing voltage on the ECU pins as I manually open the throttle so the potentiometers are OK (I think, certainly moves in the range suggested).

BUT the ECU just will not control the throttle no matter what I do.

I'm wondering is the ECU is broken?
The EGR valve also CLICKS really fast each time I clear all the DTCs. I can only stop it by cranking the engine and starting the car.
Earthing problem maybe ???

The vehicle had this fault about 1 month after buying it (which the garage was able to fix under warranty) and now after lockdown I get to drive it again it's come back. Only now it's out of the 3 month warranty.

Not sure whether to sell it for parts or if I can fix it? I'm an electronics engineer so you can get technical..... just not sure how to put a second ECU in and "code" it properly.

Any advice please I've drawn blank now.
Pete