Auto transmission snatch

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Auto transmission snatch

Post by littlepolo »

This has been a longstanding problem (from 50K miles or so) but has gone from occasional to more frequent. It happens, particularly when the engine/transmission is hot, that on slowing and taking off again from very low speed, or starting from standstill there is quite a severe snatch/jolt. As a workaround, when stationary, selecting neutral then again drive before taking off seems to work (obviously not a solution to a rolling start). It does not occur all the time or every day, but certainly at least a few times a week.

Does anyone have a similar problem (1.4 BBY, not sure of the transmission model)?

I had read about the so-called 'sealed for life' transmission and wondered if fluid level could be an issue (though I'd expect a more consistent experience if it was). Any thoughts on what might be the cause?

Edit. I have a new filter screen, gasket, and fluid at hand.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Auto transmission snatch

Post by littlepolo »

Any thoughts on this issue?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Auto transmission snatch

Post by littlepolo »

It appears the transmission snatch (low gear/speed only) is likely due to low ATF in the 'sealed for life' transmission. My options are to top it off (overflow excess fluid to drain hole while at operating temp and running through the gears) or drain, remove sump, replace strainer, refill with fluid to correct level. Since I have the parts (strainer, gasket, new fill and drain plugs) I plan to do the latter.