Steering rack seal

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
StevieP93
New
Drives: 03 1.4 FSI Manual

Steering rack seal

Post by StevieP93 »

Have a leak from the steering rack seal. Boot is full of fluid and loss of power steering. Can anyone help me identify a seal kit (if available). Polo 1.4 fsi, 02 plate. Any help would be much appreciated as need the car for work.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Steering rack seal

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always assumed, maybe wrongly, that the end seals leaking was due to rack movement, so more work required, as I say, maybe I am wrong there though, so buying a refurbed rack might be needed.
StevieP93
New

Post by StevieP93 »

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll look for a replacement then see if it's worth the money to fix. I see there are a few part numbers for it online. Is there any way of knowing the correct one/location of the part number on it? Thanks.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm lucky enough to have escaped needing to find out where the VW Group part number is on the steering rack - but it will be there and very obvious, good luck!

Edit:- of course it will be hidden by the subframe!!
StevieP93
New

Post by StevieP93 »

I didn't think it would be that easy to see it. Seems to only be a couple so I'll see if I can get a few quotes in and maybe get the part number from one of those (damn weather means I don't fancy crawling under the car). Probably gonna be the biggest job I have done on the car yet, but doesn't look like there's too much to it.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

For that car, there is only one rack listed if you were buying from a VW dealership and it is 6Q2 423 061 GX, the "X" just means that it is an exchange ie rebuilt "G" version.

I am assuming here that your car has TRW steering system, if you are unsure which system is fitted to your car, just look at the cap/top/cover for the hydraulic steering reservoir, if the system is made by TRW then the green cap/top/cover will have vertical grip ribs round the cap/top/cover and if you remove it and look at it you should find TRW moulded into it somewhere.

If your car has SMI-KOYO steering system, the green cap/top/cover will have a cross hatched grip surface round the cap/top/cover.

I think that most RHD Polos had the later/better TRW systems, my wife's August/September 2002 build Polo certainly had the TRW system.
StevieP93
New

Post by StevieP93 »

Replaced the steering rack last night. Managed to get access to a lift which made the job a couple of hours.

You were correct with it being a TRW rack (part no. 023-0080-051-001). Seems that one rack has about 20 or so corresponding part numbers.

For anyone attempting this. We managed to avoiding removing the front section of exhaust (rusted bolts) by removing all the rubbers and resting the exhaust on the frame. Gained the couple of inches wiggle room needed to get the old rack out and new one in without removing subframe. Sensor plug was a pig to get off, ended up snapping but a few strategically placed cable ties have secured it.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good, I'd think that the steering rack VW Group number that I quoted from the current parts list, will be the latest version that superceded all earlier stocked part numbers. The pump assembly possibly changed to 6R# as it was still used during that platform's production run and was still being revised. I'm guessing that the 6R0 Polo and Ibiza etc, used different track rods and so only these later models used 6R# racks, 6Q0 was the original Fabia that Polo 9N and then similar Ibiza were based on.

Edit:- in case it helps someone else, where did you buy the rack from and was it a new, used or refurbished exchange one, and rough price?
StevieP93
New

Post by StevieP93 »

I got it from eBay, from a Volkswagen breakers https://ebay.co.uk/usr/stevens_vw_dismantlers
Cost just over £50 Inc postage. The customer service was great, they responded so quick and next day delivery as standard. Would definitely recommend them.

Used part, came with ends with decent ball joints so was a nice easy swap.
Last edited by StevieP93 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieP93
New

Post by StevieP93 »

Rum4mo, can't seem to add a picture. I have a screenshot showing part numbers and the models they fit that would be good to add. Do you know how I can add it to the post?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Glad you found one. I've used the same breaker before and they have been fine.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

StevieP93 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:59 pm Rum4mo, can't seem to add a picture. I have a screenshot showing part numbers and the models they fit that would be good to add. Do you know how I can add it to the post?
Sorry, no chance of help on that one from me, @alexperkins would be the person to help with that.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

You need to click the attachments tab bottom left near the options tab.
StevieP93
New

Post by StevieP93 »

This is the list I found
Attachments
Screenshot_20201010-195545.png
Screenshot_20201010-195545.png (144.63 KiB) Viewed 2254 times