Offside front knock

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Offside front knock

Post by Andrew S »

I have not had a chance yet to take the wheel off but I have an annoying knock when going over uneven surface but is fine over bumps. Its there when braking so have ruled out brake issues.
The only clue I have is after moving forwards on occasions, if I reverse back gently, I can feel and knock near the pedals.

Any suggestions please of what it could be as other than the noise, the car feels fine and brakes are even

Thank you
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Offside front knock

Post by RUM4MO »

First idea/thought would be (front) lower wishbone rear voided bush split - you could check for that by parking the car on level ground, handbrake on and steering straight ahead, gearbox in neutral, now grab the front offside wheel and attempt to rotate it, if the console bush is worn/torn etc you should sense that the wheel is moving backwards and forwards within the wheel arch, due to some freedom in movement coming from a worn/torn console bush.

Repeat this on the other side.

Next, with everything set as for above, with the ignition key still in and so the steering lock "off", try rocking the steering wheel from side to side slightly, can you feel/hear knocking, if so the inner inner track rod joint is worn, having a second person to listen close to each end of the steering rack would help to find which side was worse, normally the offside.

Next would be the ARB mounting bushes and the ARB's drop links.
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Re: Offside front knock

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks, will try and check today :)