Gearstick linkages

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Gearstick linkages

Post by Andrew S »

Hi All

Having a bad start to the day today in trying to wort out why on my 9N I cant get gears some time.

I can see there are YouTube videos on how to do this but its all out of the car and so easy.

On the gearbox end, on the arm, I do not have a 90 degree to lock the lever arm. Its not snapped off, it just looks like there is a bung in the hole.

Anyway, I have aligned the gearstick with a 5mm locking pin so the gearstick can't move. After a few plastic lacerations, I have unlocked the cable lock ends to the cable can move and do what they want.

The white plastic block on the linkage above teh gearbox implies that its in neutral which is good.

I have then been pushing down on the alloy lever arm which you would normally lock in place and then pulled the cables for any slack and then released the springs and allowed the cables to be grabbed.

I started off this morning with a drivable car with the occasional problem of getting reverse to either a car where I can get 1st gear in the reverse gear position or when on my previous attempt I got all gears but couldn't get 5th.

Doing my heard in so any advice greatly appreciated

Thank you.
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Re: Gearstick linkages

Post by Andrew S »

OK, I have played around a little more and have all gears but having problems with 2nd gear which I didn't have before today.

Which cable do I need to lengthen or shorten, the one nearest the wing or the engine?

Any help appreciated

Andrew