Brake pad wear indicator broken wire.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bikergonebald
New
Drives: 2004 1.2 Twist

Brake pad wear indicator broken wire.

Post by Bikergonebald »

Hi guys, I just changed the pads and discs on my 2004 1.4 petrol. While disconnecting the pad wear sensor I broke the plug on the car side. Now the pad wear light is on.

With a broken wire I wouldn’t have expected the light to be on. Are they more sophisticated than just earthing through the disc when the pads wear down to the electrode in the pad?

When I change the cable on the car how far does it go to the harness? Should I just cut the wire and solder on a plug from a scrap car?

Thanks
Kevin
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Brake pad wear indicator broken wire.

Post by RUM4MO »

First, it sounds like you have broken the case/back shell of the car side brake wear warning cable, if so, can you find the VW Group part number that will be moulded onto that plastic casing - if so, get your local VW Group dealer to order in a new case/back shell, when you get it work out a way to crush the broken connector in a way that allows you to easily remove the connector pins, note which pin they came out off ideally, then refit them to the new casing when you get it.

I have replaced one in the past, I crushed/broke the damaged connector using a smallish bench vice, all you are trying to do is to crack apart the portion that the terminals are located in, I don't know the part number and anyway I think that it was on a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion so different sex of car side connector - my VW main dealer broke it while replacing a front bearing and I didn't notice for almost a year!

Edit:- when refitting these terminals into a new shell/casing, use something like a straightened out paper clip to force the terminals fully down into locking into the new shell/casing.
Bikergonebald
New
Drives: 2004 1.2 Twist

Re: Brake pad wear indicator broken wire.

Post by Bikergonebald »

Thanks for the tip. That should be easier than changing the cable.